Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

23 minutes ago, neverforget said:

(or tracks if you like.)

See what you did there, good one.

Flesquieres Hill?. Any clues for your inscribed and weathered limestone blocks Michelle?

• Admin

So how are people doing with my mystery stone? We’ve had a semi close answer. 

Yes, I’m sure Don won’t mind me confirming it’s Flesquieres Hill. 

2 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

So how are people doing with my mystery stone? 

Badly in a nutshell, hence my plea.

10 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Details suggest that the four crew members killed were indeed buried at Flesquieres Hill. Frederick William Tipping, Walter Robinson, William Galway, and Joseph Cheverton.20221027_184457.jpg.0ee55992be57782208f1b72546bffe66.jpg20221027_184522.jpg.e2a82a9f78c6697228e6f7ce8da14a5a.jpgA total of 91 members of the Tank Corps were killed on that day (20/11/17)

54 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Maissemy German Military Cemetery?

• Admin

A good idea NF, but no. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Not at all Michelle.  It was intended purely as a temporary diversion from your extremely challenging photos.

40 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Details suggest that the four crew members killed were indeed buried at Flesquieres Hill. Frederick William Tipping, Walter Robinson, William Galway, and Joseph Cheverton.

+ George Foot?  Buried close by at III B 6.  I believe there is some debate about the number killed.

6 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

Not at all Michelle.  It was intended purely as a temporary diversion from your extremely challenging photos.

+ George Foot?  Buried close by at III B 6.  I believe there is some debate about the number killed.

You're most probably quite right. The article I found gave the details I posted of just 4, but the main article itself suggests that Robinson and 4 others were killed. Interesting read though, and the links at the bottom are also worth looking at..

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/the-crew-of-deborah-tank-d51-at-flesquieres-near-cambrai/

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

You're most probably quite right. The article I found gave the details I posted of just 4, but the main article itself suggests that Robinson and 4 others were killed. Interesting read though, and the links at the bottom are also worth looking at..

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/the-crew-of-deborah-tank-d51-at-flesquieres-near-cambrai/

Well, I'm having to dig deep into my memory as it was Wednesday of last week when I was there.  My book on Deborah is in France.  IIRC Robinson was found at a different spot to the other fatalities.  Probably I ought to check the website.

Robinson is definitely one of the confirmed Deborah casualties if the website is correct. As I said, 91 were killed in all. I see that Foot is there at Flesquieres, along with 5 other Tank Corps, mainly from D btn.

3 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

here's another easy one: view of where from where?

My first impression was Trones Wood from Guillemont Road, my second was High Wood from the NZ Memorial. I'm not sure about either. The trees are too far away for the first and they don't look thick enough for the second. So not easy for me sadly.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

My first impression was Trones Wood from Guillemont Road, my second was High Wood from the NZ Memorial. I'm not sure about either. The trees are too far away for the first and they don't look thick enough for the second. So not easy for me sadly.

Pete.

Well Pete, your second impression is spot on.  I was doing a little tour for a friend who was accompanying me.  We were having a day off from working on the house..  The first photo below confirms your impression; the second is looking in the opposite direction towards Delville Wood.

IMG_20221020_152000.jpg

IMG_20221020_151109.jpg

Edited by Don Regiano

• Admin

BD6DCC18-0222-40B2-8315-432D7D5BC436.jpeg

17 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

your second impression is spot on.

Believe it or not it was the crop that made me think of High Wood. The last time I was there the fields between the wood, the memorial and the road were sown with potatoes. As to Michelle's intriguing inscription something about the second photo makes me think of Vimy but I can't really explain why. There are several wrong trees in the picture for me to bark up after all.

Pete.

• Admin

In my photo, it was originally 300 yards N of where it is now. 

On 29/10/2022 at 11:50, Michelle Young said:

In my photo, it was originally 300 yards N of where it is now. 

You moved it??!

Good one OF; I'm really fascinated by the story behind this one but as usual I haven't got a clue. I assume the base of the Cross of Sacrifice in whichever cemetery it is was constructed with the bits of another, possibly German structure. Or not.

Pete.

• Admin

It was moved post 1928. But I don’t know the exact date. 

• Admin

Another one for you all to ponder, excuse the wonky angle, sometimes I think my slightly dodgy hip makes me stand crooked.  

96F3C3ED-7CC3-49FE-A88A-1CEA95547A04.jpeg

0EA19E7C-941C-4CF7-9229-D78EFD4EE066.jpeg

On 30/10/2022 at 12:31, Michelle Young said:

Another one for you all to ponder, excuse the wonky angle, sometimes I think my slightly dodgy hip makes me stand crooked.  

96F3C3ED-7CC3-49FE-A88A-1CEA95547A04.jpeg

0EA19E7C-941C-4CF7-9229-D78EFD4EE066.jpeg

That is Rue De Bacquerot No 1 Military cemetery.

Richard

• Admin

Well done. 

On 27/10/2022 at 18:07, Michelle Young said:

Go on then, @Michelle Young - gissa clue!

Cheers,

Richard

On 28/10/2022 at 10:45, Michelle Young said:

BD6DCC18-0222-40B2-8315-432D7D5BC436.jpeg

Verdun area?

• Admin

No sorry.