Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

24 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Fascinating and fascinatinger. Haven't got a clue as usual; the photo reminds me of the area around Bellenglise and Bellicourt but if there is an isolated American burial I wondered why it wouldn't be in Bony nearby. As to the royal aspect I can only think of Ypres Town and Quarry by the Hohenzollern redoubt, but I've only had one cup of coffee so far......

Pete.

Have at least 3 more cups Pete

Just chanced upon this topic and wondered whether you had photos of the ground over which 1 / 4 KSLI advanced on 6 June 1918 when counter-attacking onto the Montagne de Bligny successfully and for which they were awarded the Croix de Guerre avec Palme. The photo is taken from near the summit, which is now covered in trees, and shows the line of advance from centre left up over the vines and then past where the people are standing. The second photo is of the memorial to 19 Div on the summit of the Montagne.

6 June 2018 - Bligny - the Montagne - the ground over which the counter-attack took place.JPG

6 June 2018 - Bligny stand 4 - the Montagne - 19 (Western) Division Memorial on the summit.JPG

• Admin

I only have these similar views @Robin Garrett

EB0519D0-9DB5-4E57-9E6F-9365B131780D.jpeg

633426C9-1B02-44C5-90F0-46DE2EE2E613.jpeg

2 hours ago, dickaren said:

Last clue before Michelle reveals the answer:-

There are three cemeteries within this village with commonwealth burials

Is it Queen's Cemetery, Bucquoy? The trees are a little more grown up nowadays.

Richard

19 minutes ago, Old Forge said:

Richard

Correct. Trees have matured somewhat in the last 28 years!!

Richard

• Admin

There’s a literary connection to the location in my photo with the rape seed flowers .

3 hours ago, Old Forge said:

Richard

Great work Richard and Richard.

6 hours ago, dickaren said:

Have at least 3 more cups Pete

I'm not sure taking coffee intravenously would have helped me.......

Pete

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

There’s a literary connection to the location in my photo with the rape seed flowers .

It's not one of the two Point 110 cemeteries at Fricourt by any chance? I know that access to them is questionable and one of the characters covered in Sassoon's George Sherston books is in the new one if I remember correctly.

17 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Hi @Michelle Young, is it Louvencourt perhaps?

Richard

• Admin
16 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

It's not one of the two Point 110 cemeteries at Fricourt by any chance? I know that access to them is questionable and one of the characters covered in Sassoon's George Sherston books is in the new one if I remember correctly.

Bingo! The old track from Point 110 old has been ploughed out and a new track made which takes you to the rear of the cemetery. In April  owing to the crops, I had to climb over the back wall to access the cemetery. Owing to the construction of the new track, the entire cemetery was covered in a thick dust. Thankfully, the cemetery looked better in September, but you have to walk down the side of the cemetery on the side of the field  to access the entrance. In the photo below you can see the line of the old track where the ploughed field changes colour. 

79D46BF5-430E-4569-8790-163A76C2797D.jpeg

• Admin

Continuing the difficult access theme, we could get to this cemetery in June. Which cemetery? 

61E3F94D-689E-4724-96F1-5E07D397EA7E.jpeg

F376265F-ED56-4CAC-B3A1-ADE7B487D152.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Continuing the difficult access theme, we could get to this cemetery in June. Which cemetery? 

61E3F94D-689E-4724-96F1-5E07D397EA7E.jpeg

F376265F-ED56-4CAC-B3A1-ADE7B487D152.jpeg

Windmill Cemetery 😁

On 03/11/2022 at 16:11, horrocks said:

A Nissen Hut

DSC_8186_1080.jpg.cebeca6b0c4d3d83311f9646e0dece57.jpg

No takers on this?

I don't know how, or if, the design of these changed between WW1 and WW2, but I've no reason to believe that this isn't a remnant of the Great War, or the period immediately afterwards when Nissen huts were used as temporary accommodation for the residents whilst the villages were being rebuilt.

It is close to a feature with strong Welsh connections.

I fear it got swept up in all the recent tomfoolery Toby; it's not something I've ever seen. Given your clue is it near Flatiron Copse and by extension Mametz Wood?

Pete.

11 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I fear it got swept up in all the recent tomfoolery Toby; it's not something I've ever seen. Given your clue is it near Flatiron Copse and by extension Mametz Wood?

Pete.

You are very close, Pete. It is (or was, in 2015) in the meadow that runs along the little valley just behind the NW corner of Mametz Wood, presumably repurposed for agriculture. It is still visible on google maps, so may well still be there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/80300+Albert,+France/@50.0257926,2.7456552,185m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47dd5f4ca2ae09d3:0x40af13e81622130!8m2!3d50.001357!4d2.651604?hl=en

Edited by horrocks

4 hours ago, horrocks said:

You are very close, Pete.

Thank you Toby, I won't light the metaphorical cigar. I may go back to my old photos because I took some of the NW corner of Mametz Wood as I walked the road onto the plateau towards Pozieres. Another little detour for when I'm next there, along with the site of Frank Richards' windmill and the Graves graveyard....

Pete.

You'd have needed to have clambered over the gate on the opposite side of the road, and braved the bovines, to have seen this interesting relic.

Just now, horrocks said:

braved the bovines

That's me out. I'm ok on the plate but under their own locomotion......

On which subject...

DSC_8245_1080.jpg.af376eee7d2cafc3f107e10135db4520.jpg

It would take a wild guess were it not for the current conversation, but the wood beyond this fine fellow is that against which a certain Communal Cemetery & CWGC Extension are huddled. I'll give you the one guess.

I'll think about it when I come out from behind the sofa........

I have to say that I bade him a very good day, and went on my way. Backwards. It was something about the glint in his eye.

Edited by horrocks

I'm still beside the sofa but would that be Bazentin-le-Petit? I've been in the the Military cemetery but not the communal ones.

Pete.

• Admin

No one had a go at my mystery cemetery? Apart from NF, and sadly he was incorrect. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

No one had a go at my mystery cemetery? Apart from NF, and sadly he was incorrect. 

It is seriously mysterious being almost hidden behind the building work. Is it perhaps the Guards at Lesboeufs? I know there was a lot of windmill activity in that area.

Pete.