Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

Michelle

I've been looking at this photo and approaching it from the perspective of where it isn't. It looks a bit dry and sloping to be the Lys valley and it somehow doesn't look like Cambrai or the Somme because its horizon is quite close. The houses look French and the walls are in brick which really doesn't narrow it down, although the arrangement of the cross and the stone are interesting. As usual I haven't really got a clue.

Pete.

• Admin

Right again Richard 

So I was sort of right too. Emphasis on the sort of. Brilliant again Richard, I know the area a bit but don't know that cemetery.

Pete.

• Admin

Houdain Lane cemetery 

• Admin

I will let the others have a go, I was there in July. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

I will let the others have a go, I was there in July. 

I thought you would get it quickly. I have not been back since taking the photo 28 years ago!

I took one look and thought of Beaumont Hamel as it nestles up against the lynchet bank. But the lack of a wall and the number of rows divested me of that idea immediately.

Pete.

• Admin

Not changed much in the intervening 28 years, although I suspect the background has. 

41E99BDD-640F-423B-AA2D-BBB9434C025B.jpeg

58360575-3350-4A8F-8215-015F8348F03C.jpeg

Again just on first impressions from the second picture, but would the autoroute du Nord run out of sight just below the horizon? Which makes me wonder if this is one of the small Arras cemeteries. Or not, as the case may be.......

Pete.

12 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

one of the small Arras cemeteries.

Pete.

Happy Valley?

50 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Happy Valley?

Good call, but on the CWGC site this one has a wall rather than a hedge. Inspired by this I looked at Orange Trench, Monchy British and Tank cemetery but none look good. Up, tree, Barking, wrong: rearrange these words to make a well know phrase or sentence......

Pete.

11 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Good call, but on the CWGC site this one has a wall rather than a hedge. Inspired by this I looked at Orange Trench, Monchy British and Tank cemetery but none look good. Up, tree, Barking, wrong: rearrange these words to make a well know phrase or sentence......

Pete.

Well, there was only ever a one in three thousand chance of my getting one right Pete, so I'm not surprised 😁

That's if we're talking France and not the whole Western Front of course.😊

Edited by neverforget

• Admin

In the interim, this used to be an access path to which cemetery? 

ACF7D646-D4B3-48B7-A5D7-51D3A1703140.jpeg

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Pete.

The picture struck me as quite familiar... and I'd have gone with Happy Valley too... was there on my Girls Tour in 2021... 

I remember the way to the cemetery and having to park The Tank (it was it's last tour...) in a turnip field! 

and it has a hedge !! 

M.

35 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

and it has a hedge !! 

You are so right; I looked up Happy Valley and only checked the first photo on the CWGC entry. This shows a wall surrounding a cemetery; but the second and third photos show the hedge. I am slightly confused, but I assume it is operator error. If it is a different cemetery by accident I wonder which one it is; if only I knew some people who have visited every one in the vicinity.......

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

chance of my getting one right

Buy a lottery ticket, that's all I'm saying......

Pete.

• Admin

Someone’s made a co*k up on the CWGC website! 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Someone’s made a co*k up on the CWGC website! 

That makes me feel a whole lot better. I wonder which one the first photo is, and if we can work it out as the Beatles sang how would we go about getting it changed? That's we in the royal sense obviously, I haven't got a clue......

Pete.

48 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

the Beatles

Pete.

Who?..😇

• Admin

It’s Orange Hill cemetery 

https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/cemetery-details/59501/orange-hill-cemetery-feuchy/

worked out by trawling my copy of The Silent Cities 

I find sending a tweet sometimes gets their attention, so I’ve done so. 

Great work Michelle, thanks.

Pete.

3 hours ago, neverforget said:

Who?..😇

Me neither :whistle:

On 02/10/2022 at 07:39, roel22 said:

Thanks Pete, definitely close to my heart. This is the spot where my German great-grandfather was killed 14 may 1918.

Roel

There is something powerful about standing in the same field that an ancestor died in, I found it surprisingly profoundly moving