Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

2 hours ago, stripeyman said:

Martin Middlebrook ?

Absolutely spot on Mr S. I do believe that it was my first trip to Verdun with Martin, probably in the mid to late 90's.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

The "where is this" is very good... 

But your picture too... 

M.

Thanks, much appreciated.

On 15/04/2022 at 08:02, Don Regiano said:

Well, you were closer than Toby on this occasion Pete (and both not far away), but the prize goes to Gerald.

The reference to "parking place" was indeed related to where Stuart Hastie parked up tank D17 (Dinnaken) after his day trip to Flers on the opening day of the Battle of Flers-Courcelette.  Gerald's photo, I believe, is taken looking back towards the Flers-Longueval road which can just about be seen (it's clearer in other photos taken at the time) in the middle background from where I took the photo.

Reg

Returning briefly to the posts on this location, I chanced upon this typically stark description which I had saved some while ago;

"The head-quarters' staff of the Ambulance, and as many as were available of the "C" Section bearers who had been detailed to help the Division on our right, were collected, and at early dawn on the 17th this party, accompanied by a Ford car, went down the Delville Wood-Flers road. The roadside was littered with broken wagons, dead drivers and horses. On the right was a disabled tank, one of the first used in the war, and strewn around in clusters lay the dead of a West Surrey Battalion. These had come under machine-gun fire of such severity that whole platoons were lying in regular order in their tracks. On the left of the road, amongst the German dead, lay those of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade killed in the rush towards Flers. "

nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-WH1-NZRi-t1-back-d6.html

• Admin

Where is this? 

0D89B5CD-637C-494F-95F0-B3B5D1732795.jpeg

13 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Where is this? 

Can we take it that this was taken on your most recent trip? The gate would suggest a communal extension maybe? It's another interesting composition to add to the collection wherever it is.

Pete

• Admin

Yes and yes Pete. 

42 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Yes and yes Pete. 

In that case I have a cunning plan.......

• Admin

Yes Sly, you are correct. A beautiful place.

18655BBB-62D3-4F22-BC87-899A9E000C15.jpeg

93B7ED52-2448-41EF-8D49-9E067AE3A367.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

A nice view of Lord Flasheart who sits behind the fairing, but where is he? 

A0A998DB-14F9-47AC-A7B2-BCF1103248BD.jpeg

His lordship is looking suitably pleased with himself; beyond that I haven't a clue. Clever photo nonetheless, perhaps were it not for the distortion of the perspex it might be a giveaway? I'm probably reading too much into it. Marilyne and the Famous Belgian Marching Bear would be interested no doubt.

Pete.

Thanks @Michelle Young, is this one where the clue's in your posts - it looks rather like Puchevillers Cemetery to me?

Cheers,

Richard

PS - very pleased to make Lord Flasheart's acquaintance!

Edited by Old Forge

• Admin

It’s not Puchevillers, which is currently a building site.

8B6CA820-BDA8-432C-AB8C-D41AF16CE1F9.jpeg

0C4B1103-B4E4-4E5B-9690-6DDF1F872638.jpeg

A11B5A70-EA20-47E3-9584-25B99F35F701.jpeg

• Admin

Indeed Richard. Loads of hares in there racing around. 

The cemetery is probably best known for the grave of private James Crozier 9th Royal Irish Rifles Plot 1 Row A grave 5 executed for desertion on 27th Feb 1916. 

Richard

• 1 month later...

Yes it is, well done Knotty. Photo taken today at the ouvrage de Froideterre.

Let's try another one, from a museum (photo taken two days ago), but in which museum ?

20220815_160855.jpeg.699f4c844a14e5af060108bc5069ccbd.jpeg

• Admin

Is it the one under the Basilica in Albert? 

• Admin

Where is this 

CD37A31C-E7DB-4C94-A7EB-5D9F1CA79CB1.jpeg

No guessing, no pics (yet)... just saying that I'm at the Four Days of the Yzer next week ... back to the front for the first time in a year ... thanks to very busy job !! Looking forward to some pic opportunities!!! 

L of L... 

M;

2 hours ago, Sly said:

Yes it is, well done Knotty. Photo taken today at the ouvrage de Froideterre.

Have you got any more in the vicinity Sly? I am always interested in photos of Verdun as it still fascinates me. I've just been reading @Christina Holstein 's 1917 book and 'In The Footsteps of the Fallen' which have re-awakened my interest. I must scan some of my old Verdun photos and post them.

A very good spot Mr K by the way; I'd forgotten about the the twin 75mm turret at Froidterre.

Pete.

Good Evening Pete, long time no speak as they say, it must be a couple of decades since I was last out there at Froidterre.

11 hours ago, Knotty said:

a couple of decades since I was last out there at Froidterre

And me. I was stood on top with a thunderstorm approaching, it was one of the weirdest experiences I've ever had on a battlefield.

Pete.