Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

5 hours ago, Christina Holstein said:

remarkable German one

It puts me in mind of the huge memorial in I think the Voges built into the hillside above a German cemetery. Photos have been posted on the forum but I can't think of what to search on at the moment. This one is really impressive, thanks for posting it.

Pete.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

It puts me in mind of the huge memorial in I think the Voges built into the hillside above a German cemetery. Photos have been posted on the forum but I can't think of what to search on at the moment. This one is really impressive, thanks for posting it.

Pete.

Mongoutte cemetery, ste Marie Au Mines 

35 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Not funny, in fact it's just cruel......

I just made the picture, I did not have one, as I just came off parade and was expected at the reception...

M.

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Good spot Richard; as Michelle suggested I like most people have visited the ridge and been up to the Point 145 memorial but haven't visited the cemeteries.

Pete.

A few years since I last visited and the trees are a lot thicker so it took a while to work out. 

Richard

2 hours ago, Marilyne said:

I just made the picture, I did not have one, as I just came off parade and was expected at the reception...

M.

That just makes it worse!

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Which featured on page six of this very thread........

• Admin

Where’s this? 

3376E9A3-8478-4EAD-BBF2-A18F6482C9CA.jpeg

Presumably that was taken on a previous trip to your most recent one given how lush the grass looks. It reminds me of the path up to the Hawthorn Ridge crater but isn't. Another good one Michelle.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
Stopped making sense

On 26/08/2022 at 19:35, Fattyowls said:

Sorry matey; I am a bear of very little brain. I'd seen MM and thought this referred to Lt. Col Mingou, or Marilyne to her mates. Once I'd grasped that the MM in question is Martin I understood. Martin's approach was to talk to the ordinary soldiers who had been through such extraordinary events, an approach carried on by Hart and Van Emden to name but two. Sadly but inevitably those men are no longer available for interview......

Sorry to be confusing... I was also thinking "what have I done now?" at first... but OK... Not me ... I'l relieved!! 

M.

On 28/08/2022 at 10:48, Michelle Young said:

Where’s this? 

I don't think it's in Belgium ... can we have a hint?? 

M.

• Admin

Not far from Belgium, in the Nord department 

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

Sorry to be confusing

It's not your fault; I am clearly suffering from low blood sugar levels due to lack of waffles. And/or being traumatised by the sight of the waffle shop. As it is you should be very flattered that when I see the letters MM I think of you and not Martin Middlebrook or the Military Medal.....

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

On 27/08/2022 at 15:13, Michelle Young said:

A piece I wrote about Mongoutte: https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/a-german-cemetery-in-the-vosges-battlefield/

and a few snaps. https://www.mightygwyn.eu/p641171194

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

A piece I wrote about Mongoutte

Thanks Gwyn, it did cross my mind to draw this to your attention seeing as it is 'your manor' as it were. More good photos too, and a bit of then and now; what's not to like?

Pete.

• Admin

B*gger, I thought I’d post one you didn’t know! A beautiful cemetery, trees humming with bees, An old dog wandering down the lane without a care in the world , and birdsong. One of the loveliest cemeteries I’ve visited. 

4707D09B-4B53-4837-BF81-38EDEB228747.jpeg

7D50FF84-4FF8-4C9A-8C2E-F20B2362F9E8.jpeg

Lovely photos of a place I haven't been and am unlikely to go to; and Richard's amazing run continues. Great work all round.

Pete.

Very good, Richard!! 

Nice place!! 

Not to guess, but just to share a couple of shots from the Yzer march... 

Day 2 is in Diksmuide... nice shot of the Yzertower from the bridge: 

DSC07665.JPG.f71e286859915bee800a0634a8a595e6.JPG

On the last days, we took all the flags with us and of decided to fly this one too: 

DSC07891.JPG.7f008185886783b7970a41135fe940fd.JPG

Last day brought us near the back entrance of Hooge, where I shot this one: 

DSC07905.JPG.b9a95e8edda63c334cf0df6c6c5d2354.JPG

All pics taken with the little hand-held mirrorless camera, to anticipate Pete's question... :) 

I'll post some more on the thread I started with pic requests. 

M.

5 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

to anticipate Pete's question

Impressive as ever, I particularly like what I think are rudbekia with the unknown headstone. The only thing that would improve the sequence would have been a photo of a bear friend of mine, but at least there aren't any waffles to make me go all teary......

Bear was enjoying the good things of marching... local hops!! 

20220825_154710.jpg.6304d6d5ec3e6890f8bddc89d0bec70e.jpg

20 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

B*gger, I thought I’d post one you didn’t know! A beautiful cemetery, trees humming with bees, An old dog wandering down the lane without a care in the world , and birdsong. One of the loveliest cemeteries I’ve visited. 

4707D09B-4B53-4837-BF81-38EDEB228747.jpeg

7D50FF84-4FF8-4C9A-8C2E-F20B2362F9E8.jpeg

Must admit I have not been to this cemetery but followed your clue of being in Nord and near to Belgium. Looks like a lovely final resting place for men who died towards the end of the war.

Richard

Edited by dickaren
Typo

• 5 weeks later...

A view over the battlefield where Germans attacked British and French positions in may 1918 during the German spring offensive. Kemmel no. 1 French Cemetery to the right, Kemmelberg to the left.

Roel

1467691567_Schermafbeelding2022-09-30om23_33_12.png.ba6708121120f7b4e9db4d2d2a29ef3c.png

Nice picture Roel; a landscape close to your heart perhaps? Thanks for posting it.

Pete.

Thanks Pete, definitely close to my heart. This is the spot where my German great-grandfather was killed 14 may 1918.

Roel

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Where is this? 

1D727E9A-B425-462B-948C-F939C6074399.jpeg