Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

On 18/08/2022 at 21:20, Michelle Young said:

Where is this 

Michelle, is this a Herbert Baker cemetery? The columns remind me of Caterpillar Valley, so I thought I could look for a medium sized Baker cemetery close to woodland. How hard can it be?

Pete.

• Admin

The CWGC website doesn’t say who designed it, and I can’t remember whether it says who in the register book. 

5 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

The CWGC website doesn’t say who designed it, and I can’t remember whether it says who in the register book. 

Back to the drawing board then.....

• Admin

There’s a lot of graves in there that you wouldn’t expect, concentrated from quite some distance. 

14 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

concentrated from quite some distance

Could it be a cemetery somewhere in the middle of the area of the 100 days advance in 1918 with lots of scattered graves concentrated there. I know that doesn't narrow it down very much but it's all I could think of. I was going to say 'am I getting warm' but it's more like am I now somewhere above absolute zero......

Pete.

I'm afraid that I'm severely underqualified to offer much to this thread, other than to use my minimal detective skills in order to try to unravel clues, but I do so enjoy following it and thereby sharing in the experiences of my more esteemed and better travelled pals. A layman's question for Pete; I am intrigued to find out why your old travelling companion M.M.'s approach to research is no longer possible?

• Admin
22 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Could it be a cemetery somewhere in the middle of the area of the 100 days advance in 1918 with lots of scattered graves concentrated there. I know that doesn't narrow it down very much but it's all I could think of. I was going to say 'am I getting warm' but it's more like am I now somewhere above absolute zero......

Pete.

it is in the middle of a battlefield yes. A well visited battlefield, but maybe the visitors focus is directed elsewhere.

Given

On 20/08/2022 at 12:20, Michelle Young said:

it is in the middle of a battlefield yes. A well visited battlefield

Given the significance of today's date could that battlefield be Mons/Bergen?

Pete.

• Admin

No, sorry, lots of people go to a place on this battlefield, but probably not to this cemetery. 

Another thought as to Michelles enigmatic view was one of the Vimy ridge cemeteries but I can't remember any of them having columns. Another thought was Sanctuary Wood at Ieper but while that has a portico with columns the War Stone is right in front. So I'm stumped basically.

On 20/08/2022 at 12:14, neverforget said:

A layman's question for Pete; I am intrigued to find out why your old travelling companion M.M.'s approach to research is no longer possible?

Mr Plumb, I'm confused as to the question. I know it doesn't take much these days and I have been searching through more CWGC columned porticos than is probably healthy but if you can enlighten me I will endeavour to answer.........

Pete.

37 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Mr Plumb, I'm confused as to the question. I know it doesn't take much these days and I have been searching through more CWGC columned porticos than is probably healthy but if you can enlighten me I will endeavour to answer.........

Pete.

On 23/04/2022 at 21:50, Fattyowls said:

The chap walking down the steps on the right of the three is a famous author and a pioneer of an approach to WW1 research which is no longer possible. Anyone got any guesses?

Pete.

I was wondering what had occured to make his approach to research no longer possible. Has access to the battlefields changed for instance?

• Admin

Not bad at all Pete…….liking the cut of your jib

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

I was wondering what had occured to make his approach to research no longer possible. Has access to the battlefields changed for instance?

Sorry matey; I am a bear of very little brain. I'd seen MM and thought this referred to Lt. Col Mingou, or Marilyne to her mates. Once I'd grasped that the MM in question is Martin I understood. Martin's approach was to talk to the ordinary soldiers who had been through such extraordinary events, an approach carried on by Hart and Van Emden to name but two. Sadly but inevitably those men are no longer available for interview......

9 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Sorry matey; I am a bear of very little brain. I'd seen MM and thought this referred to Lt. Col Mingou, or Marilyne to her mates. Once I'd grasped that the MM in question is Martin I understood. Martin's approach was to talk to the ordinary soldiers who had been through such extraordinary events, an approach carried on by Hart and Van Emden to name but two. Sadly but inevitably those men are no longer available for interview......

Ah, I see now Pete. Literally an irreplaceable source of information. Still, he is most fortunate to have had access to such a marvelous resource, and to have made their acquaintance. Thanks for the clarification, and sorry for the confusion 👍  

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

he is most fortunate to have had access to such a marvelous resource, and to have made their acquaintance.

No apology needed matey, they said the carpet adhesive would have this effect eventually. Of all Martin's interviews I think the primus inter pares is Philip Howe, whose story of his morning in the Fricourt area on 1/7/1916 is so remarkable, if nothing else due to the matter of fact way he describes it.

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Not bad at all Pete…….liking the cut of your jib

I don't like to brag. But are we talking Salient points or the Vimy version?

Pete.

• Admin

Thought you’d talked yourself out on one of them. 

1 minute ago, Michelle Young said:

Thought you’d talked yourself out on one of them. 

Enigmatic, sphinx like even......

22 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

No apology needed matey, they said the carpet adhesive would have this effect eventually. Of all Martin's interviews I think the primus inter pares is Philip Howe, whose story of his morning in the Fricourt area on 1/7/1916 is so remarkable, if nothing else due to the matter of fact way he describes it.

Pete.

First day on The Somme?

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

First day on The Somme?

Yep. I'm sure I came upon a video on the net of Howe talking about his experiences. We can only see because we are standing on the shoulders of giants......

• Admin

Well done, Pete was so close! 

I'm not going to ask where this memorial is because I think few people will recognise it but as this is August and as August 1914 was particularly bloody for the French Army, I've been drifting round in forgotten places thinking about unknown battles and coming across all sorts of interesting things. Longwy, a little Vauban fortress perched on the top of a high bluff guarding one of the traditional routes into France, was besieged from 21-25 August 1914 and surrendered. The communal cemetery has a number of mass graves and memorials, including this - to my mind - remarkable German one. I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else.

Christina

DSCF3250.JPG

DSCF3252 - adj.jpg

Special : where am I?? :D20220826_162642.jpg.099e08c3494707ca0e07721c9d9f6230.jpg

3 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Special : where am I??

Not funny, in fact it's just cruel......

6 hours ago, dickaren said:

Canadian Cemetery no 2 at Vimy

Good spot Richard; as Michelle suggested I like most people have visited the ridge and been up to the Point 145 memorial but haven't visited the cemeteries.

Pete.