Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

Knowing you it's probably Italy or Austria ??? 

:rolleyes:

You may tell me to get my ears clipped if necessary, Boyfriend will do the honors... 

M.

I'm wondering if that is almost horizontally bedded dolomitic limestone. It's worth taking a look at Tom's most recent photo thread for some clues. And to be blown away metaphorically by the views of Tom and the lads up at the top.

Pete.

Yes indeed, it's the Val Travenanzes in the Dolomites, with the Tofane di Rozes on the right. Beautiful, but deadly.

No need to guess here... just wanted to ask your opinion on this shot... I think I need to get back and try again, work manually and focus more on the cross... 

D94A0088.JPG.dda05f859ede2c5041c261d9798cf16b.JPG

it's a bit out of focus... was a lucky shot, on the go, so to speak. 

M.

As a man who knows a bit about lack of focus, both photographically and personally I'd say that is not bad at all.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2022 at 16:10, Michelle Young said:

Jack and Tom many years ago, but where 

719C0BA1-BB09-4A0D-87B3-4CD08288EF5D.jpeg

F13D84A9-A126-4E91-85E9-FF934655B8D9.jpeg

Did we ever get to solve this one, or are my attention span issues worse than I thought? I know I ran out of chimneys very quickly. As they are quite the cutest visitors to a CWGC site I'd be intrigued as to where it is......

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
Alternative spelling of chimney

• 1 month later...

I'm inspired by Marilyne's photo of Tyne Cot to post one of my own. No prizes for getting where it is. Late midsummer twilight just has something special.P1020271.JPG.80224da59110d7ce2c755d02c2d8626a.JPG

20180303_3154_1080.jpg.1e59fc3dda8879adc57cf97bd4daae83.jpg

While I know exactly where Christina's was taken I feel I should know where yours is Toby. There's something familiar about that field but I'm probably barking up the wrong copse of trees.....

Pete.

23 hours ago, Christina Holstein said:

I'm inspired by Marilyne's photo of Tyne Cot to post one of my own. No prizes for getting where it is. Late midsummer twilight just has something special.P1020271.JPG.80224da59110d7ce2c755d02c2d8626a.JPG

Looks like the Ossuary at Verdun

On 11/04/2022 at 10:37, Fattyowls said:

While I know exactly where Christina's was taken I feel I should know where yours is Toby. There's something familiar about that field but I'm probably barking up the wrong copse of trees.....

Pete.

It is indeed the field that is of interest, rather than the copse.

A notorious communication trench, named with a biblical reference.

• Admin
On 27/02/2022 at 20:34, Fattyowls said:

Did we ever get to solve this one, or are my attention span issues worse than I thought? I know I ran out of chimneys very quickly. As they are quite the cutest visitors to a CWGC site I'd be intrigued as to where it is......

Pete.

Tom at Forceville and Jack at Chocques. 

4 hours ago, horrocks said:

It is indeed the field that is of interest, rather than the copse.

A notorious communication trench, named with a biblical reference.

Might that be Jacob’s Ladder?

Richard

On 11/04/2022 at 11:33, Christina Holstein said:

Another sunset picture but this time in November.

Is that Dun-sur-Meuse Christina?

No, it's Cheppy German Cemetery at sunset on the day the remains of 33 Germans were buried. I don't know what caused the strange light effect but I liked it.

Christina 

2 hours ago, Christina Holstein said:

Cheppy German Cemetery

Nice photo either way. I've no way of proving it one way or another but I think I've visited Cheppy; it was after my last ascent of the memorial at Montfaucon and we were on the way to Vauquois. I'd have to get into serious training to try that now.

Pete.

16 hours ago, Old Forge said:

Might that be Jacob’s Ladder?

Richard

Absolutely correct. Genesis, I think 24 or 27.

I found it quite difficult to locate, and my feeling is that it probably ran down the shallow dip in the field? The two photos below are taken respectively from the copse looking over to the Thiepval spur, and from the field at the top of the feature looking over Hamel and the Ancre to the German positions behind and below the Ulster Tower. The mark of the fire trench facing Mill Lane can clearly be made out, and it demonstrates how hazardous a place Jacob's Ladder must have been, troops descending or ascending its slippery twists and turns variously exposed to the German positions. Blunden I think referred to it not as ascent to heaven, but as a descent into hell.

20180303_3138_1080.jpg.ed3d99b3525d00cc27b82bf756a95fba.jpg

20180303_3148_1080.jpg.701e2702f226b2092260797d0c5d03be.jpg

Would that put the Hawthorn ridge crater off to the left in the first one Toby? The position would be under observation all the way round to the Leipzig salient which I assume is the line of trees at the far right of the ridge. I'm with Blunden on this one......

Pete.

A good mile or so distant, Pete. There is possible confusion with another Jacob's Ladder behind White City at Beaumont Hamel. I think the name of the latter was eventually changed, but yes, you are right about the exposure of this Jacob's ladder from the Leipzig Salient all the way back to the Ancre heights.

If you look carefully, you can glimpse the Ulster Tower position and Mill Lane through the trees in the first of the two photos, giving the full panorama.

Edited by horrocks

There is definite confusion in my mind about which Jacob's Ladder we are dicussing Toby, now it all falls into place. Much appreciated.

Pete.

I've never fully worked out why the route from Aveluy to Hamel involved that contorted communication trench running up onto the ridge, then back down again, rather than simply using the course of the road between the two. I guess it was because the road was even more exposed, and being low-lying any trench dug along its line would have become waterlogged.

Edited by horrocks

8 hours ago, horrocks said:

Absolutely correct. Genesis, I think 24 or 27.

I found it quite difficult to locate, and my feeling is that it probably ran down the shallow dip in the field? The two photos below are taken respectively from the copse looking over to the Thiepval spur, and from the field at the top of the feature looking over Hamel and the Ancre to the German positions behind and below the Ulster Tower. The mark of the fire trench facing Mill Lane can clearly be made out, and it demonstrates how hazardous a place Jacob's Ladder must have been, troops descending or ascending its slippery twists and turns variously exposed to the German positions. Blunden I think referred to it not as ascent to heaven, but as a descent into hell.

Thanks @horrocks - fascinating views and the pics are very atmospheric. Years ago I read Henry Williamson’s autobiographical novels, A Chronicle of Ancient Sunlight. Gut feeling says Jacob’s Ladder featured during his time on the Somme. Will have to check!

Cheers,

Richard

Well, as we seem to have morphed into photos of the countryside  :D, here's one I took this morning.  Fairly easy really but, if you need a clue, it is "parking place"

IMG_20220414_115751.jpg

Edited by Don Regiano