Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

• Admin

I reckon the photos are about 25 years apart, I think Jack is about 2 and Tom 5. It’s not on the Somme Pete. 

I was thinking Somme too at first... and then I figured it was too easy. 

The area of the Flemish Ardennes may fit the bill though... but I have no clue...

Maybe we can ask for another clue?? 

M.

• Admin

Originally intended to be a multi National cemetery. Started by the French.

My first thought seeing it yesterday evening was May 1918, between Soissons and Rheims. Haven't had chance to look for cemeteries in the region yet!

Richard

On 24/11/2021 at 10:55, Old Forge said:

My first thought seeing it yesterday evening was May 1918, between Soissons and Rheims

I know what you mean Richard. I started to look at places like Ville-aux-Bois and Buzancy but without getting anywhere. If it was started by the French I wonder if it is maybe the Noyon or Ham area. Clueless basically.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
pants punctuation

On 20/11/2021 at 23:31, Fattyowls said:

Where exactly were they Richard? From Chris Baker's 'Truce' I can see that they were between Bois Grenier and Rue du Bois, and he quotes the war diary. That area in general and the truce in particular are abiding interests of mine, maybe you could post a photo or two? I'm quite envious.

Pete.

Good question Pete. A very depleted 7th Division marched south from Ypres to take over the line Rouges Bancs to Bridoux from 19 Brigade on the night 14/15 November. They remained on this front until withdrawn on 1st March 1915 in preparation for Neuve Chapelle. From 17th Nov, the divisional scheme was for the 3 brigades to hold the line, 20 Bde right, 21 Bde centre and 22 Bde left. Each bde had 2 battalions in the line, one in local reserve and one in general reserve. The map below shows the 7th Div sector divided into 6 sections, so my working assumption is that 21 Bde held Sections 3 and 4. From references to the Convent Wall in the 2/Wilts war diary, My assumption is that they held Section 3 when in the firing line. 

Richard

Trenches Nov 14-Mar 15.PNG

Map of trenches Nov 14-Mar 15.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't upload the two panoramas I took from the approximate front line and resizing didn't work. I've taken screenshots instead, but the resolution isn't so good. As you can see, it's pretty flat. I've highlighted a few landmarks on pano showing the 'enemy' side. On the view back to the British support trenches, the wood in the centre shows as the circular lake on the map. The photo with the bunker is taken from the German position on the Rue des Turcs looking towards the Abbaye. 

Richard1309714993_Frontline-panoramatosupporttrenches.PNG.f69b5208a0667b540eae494c89821c80.PNG

Front line - panorama across no man's land.PNG

IMG_8251.JPG

IMG_8304.JPG

IMG_8264.JPG

Excellent photos Richard; I know exactly where you mean but I've never explored this area. My interest is just the other side of La Grand Flamengrie Farm where the bridge crosses the Eurostar line. The picture of the German shelter is very interesting; as the lines here were breastworks you get a sense of how raised the structures were, although they could have settled given the damp ground. The only other ones I know of are at the Cobbers memorial at Fromelles; and the picture with the church on the ridge is the first time I've got a sense of the proximity.

Pete.

P.S. Is the last one upside down or do I need to go to Specsavers?

Hmm - yes, it’s turned itself over for some reason. It opens okay on the PC here, so not sure what’s going on.

Richard

10 minutes ago, Old Forge said:

Hmm - yes, it’s turned itself over for some reason. It opens okay on the PC here, so not sure what’s going on.

I actually like it that way. As to not being sure what is going on that is my default setting as much of my photography here and elsewhere will attest. I think that your photos qualify you for a 'Friends of the Forgotten Front' t-shirt, that much is clear.

Pete.

• Admin

A club we need to establish I think. Your photos have made me very nostalgic Richard. 
By the way, certainly warm in your thoughts about the cemetery I posted. 

On 22/11/2021 at 11:51, Michelle Young said:

Some years apart, and to paraphrase the song,  Nice face, shame about the legs. Where is this?

5A6BD670-4602-4B66-A1AC-74FB70485F05.jpeg

64B4D662-39D6-41E0-BC69-7B6AE5D4BDB1.jpeg

Is it Bouilly Cross Roads Cemetery?

Richard

• Admin

It is indeed. 

• Admin

No legs this time! This must be about 2013/2014

13D7F71C-BCC9-4123-912F-EA724BE1F42D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

No legs this time!

That's disappointing; I sensed a theme developing. I can also envisage a trip to Bouilly; my mate Charlie who is my getaway driver on bank jobs battlefield tours has a thing about small pere et fils champagne enterprises while I want to go to Germaine. There is a flight sergeant from 617 squadron in the communal cemetery there that I have an idea to visit, and the landscape looks wonderful. I think we could combine all three.

Pete.

• Admin

Maroueil? There’s a lovely road that runs underneath the bank that leads to Ecoivres. 

Too easy Michelle, strange little track and cemetery on back side of the hill.

Of course, the British cemetery not the village cemetery , where others are.

Edited by chaz

1 hour ago, chaz said:

Reg,    definately,    (a clue)  to the cemetery

👍

I'm getting the hang of this thread now chaz!  :D