Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

could it be in Belgium?? near Dixmuide??? There is a museum on the position of the "Lange Max", but I know there were other of these gund in the area.. 

M.

• Admin

Conteville?

• Admin

Jack and Tom many years ago, but where 

719C0BA1-BB09-4A0D-87B3-4CD08288EF5D.jpeg

F13D84A9-A126-4E91-85E9-FF934655B8D9.jpeg

On 21/10/2021 at 12:20, Fattyowls said:

I have to admit I'd never heard of Adams Michelle; having looked him up I'm fascinated. I wonder if the glare of attention on Sassoon and Graves have obscured him; his entry on Lucy London's Forgotten Poets site has a link to the book and the quotes I've seen sound beautifully written. So that makes five literary lions in the RWF, who'd've thought it.

I must admit I hesitated about posting this one given that several of our august group regard the windmills as the renewable energy installations of the devil. I will probably take a walk out to the beach in a while as it is a beautiful day out here on the coast, the bay is absolutely full of them but to be honest I don't mind them at all.

Pete.

Six Pete, you missed David Jones (In Parenthesis).  Although he wasn’t with 2nd Bn RWF.

Edited by FROGSMILE

17 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Six Pete, you missed David Jones (In Parenthesis).  Although he wasn’t with 2nd Bn RWF.

Thanks Mr F. I'd forgotten that even though I've written something which does identify Jones. I will eschew sweets and comics for a whole week as a penance.

I've just walked out to the beach and looked over at Formby Point where Sassoon's medal ribbon went into the sea, so the five (now six) were in my thoughts.

Pete.

I'm liking this one Mr S; so we are looking for a siding with concrete ramps or platforms. Possibly for unloading tanks?

Pete.

3 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I'm liking this one Mr S; so we are looking for a siding with concrete ramps or platforms. Possibly for unloading tanks?

Pete.

Indeed a concrete ramp. There are a small number of IWM pics of it

Just as an aside from me searching for Mr S's long forgotten WW1 sidings does anyone know which monument is in the distance?  Clue - it was taken about three hours ago.....

Pete.

image.png.e5faaaa17db639e2b424ee56044981b7.png

• Admin

Gravesnstafel?

42 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Gravesnstafel?

Good spot Michelle, it was sent in almost real time by Marilyne. This one was also sent almost real time....

image.jpeg.97fb7e21e87827dbccbe76e4776109b6.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Good spot Michelle, it was sent in almost real time by Marilyne. This one was also sent almost real time....

image.jpeg.97fb7e21e87827dbccbe76e4776109b6.jpeg

Obuz is born out of Flemish primeval soil. The barley is seeded and harvested in Passchendaele, on the fields of the Lemaire family. The beer is brewed and bottled at the farm itself. Which makes Obuz the first true ‘Belgian farm brewery beer’.🍺

4 hours ago, neverforget said:

Obuz is born out of Flemish primeval soil.

Have you ever considered a career in the church Blackadder? a career in marketing Mr P? You would be a natural with qwolity copy like that.

Pete.

42 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Have you ever considered a career in the church Blackadder? a career in marketing Mr P? You would be a natural with qwolity copy like that.

Pete.

I've always preferred to make an honest living for myself Pete. 😉

Don't forget that I had to employ my pasting skills as well as copying 😊

On 23/01/2022 at 20:51, stripeyman said:

There are a small number of IWM pics of it

I'm wondering if this is north of the Ieper - Poperinge road; I seem to remember seeing some photos but I'll try and think of a search term for the very temperamental IWM site search facility....

On 23/01/2022 at 16:10, Michelle Young said:

Jack and Tom many years ago, but where 

Great photos of the lads; as far as identification is concerned the only chimbley that I can think of anywhere I've visited is the one on the Morlancourt ridge near where the Red Baron came down. Unfortunately I can't find a cemetery that fits with that......

and there you have it... I was going to post a pic of this WE with strict instructions to Mr Pete NOT to answer, and then he posts them himself!! 

oh well... 

I'll just treat you to another one of this WE then... had just a few minutes in Tyne Cot... 

D94A0039.JPG.2327d656078ea6bef44e7807bc299887.JPG

On 30/01/2022 at 14:33, Michelle Young said:

Gravesnstafel?

on request of Pete, this was taken from where this sign stands: 

D94A0054.JPG.8511871144c96aa0a30249550fb4ea7b.JPG

towards Crest Farm, which is in the middle-ish of the panorama (taken with cell phone)

@neverforget: it was my first Obuz and I must say it went down very well after the first 17 km of the march! 

M.

4 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

@neverforget: it was my first Obuz and I must say it went down very well after the first 17 km of the march! 

M.

I'll bet it did. I could almost taste it through the picture; it looked tres appetizing 😜

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

then he posts them himself!! 

You know I can't be trusted. That is an excellent one of the curve of the panels to the Missing at Tyne Cot; am I correct in saying that you are stood in front of the New Zealand apse? Two of mine who fell on the slog up from S'Gravenstafel are named there.

Pete.

On 01/02/2022 at 23:51, Fattyowls said:

You know I can't be trusted. That is an excellent one of the curve of the panels to the Missing at Tyne Cot; am I correct in saying that you are stood in front of the New Zealand apse? Two of mine who fell on the slog up from S'Gravenstafel are named there.

Pete.

correct! 

I have found another view. My photo dates from 1989, I thought it was from the late 1990's. A wartime photo was taken from a large shed which is another clue

Ramp 2.JPG

This is what I have been posting. The ramp for loading and unloading tanks can be seen on the left It is/was Central Workshops located at Teneur. IWM; Q 9919

Ramp GWF.jpg

I doubt if I would have ever got that, but it is really interesting. Must be quite late as there are Whippets featured. The long pieces with curved ends in the foreground are interesting too.

Pete.

2 hours ago, stripeyman said:

These pieces are 'TadpoleTails' to aid trench crossing ability. I am not aware that they were ever used.

I'd heard of them but not realised that they were an attachment. Every day is a skool day; thank you.

Pete.

By way of a change from photos of muddy fields in France and Belgium  ;-)   Which WW1 battlefield is this?

2085004766_LagazouiPano(1).jpg.53124e1769dd2a4b3c5b4d4b05f6ee4f.jpg