Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

38 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

You were the last visitor to one of the subjects of the favourite thread...........

now I'm lost... 

2 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

now I'm lost... 

Maybe we'll bump into each other then because so am I. 🤪

Who was it said "if you don't know where you are going you are liable to end up somewhere else"?

The viewpoint was visited regularly by two famous war poets, one of whom ended up across the bay from where the photo is taken. The other location is the last resting place of someone who spent some of the war in a regularly mispronounced French coastal location and wrote a letter. The little cemetery she mentions has grown a bit since then, and featured on a well known BBC antiques programme on Remembrance Sunday in the UK.

Who was the poet (and for a bonus waffle point what is the location)?

What is the title of the thread?

Pete.

talking about the WHO IS THIS thread??? 

we were talking earlier about the place where sassoon threw his medal away?? 

problem: I don't watch BBC... 

M.

4 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

talking about the WHO IS THIS thread??? - No

we were talking earlier about the place where sassoon threw his medal away?? It is the same place but not Sassoon; which leaves?........

problem: I don't watch BBC... That was to give NF a bit of a chance; how many big cemeteries by the coast have you visited recently?

Pete.

Owen or Graves

last big cemetery on the coast I visited was Etaples July 2020... 

M.

So we're in Eat Apples, and I'm guessing the other thread mentioned is the 'What are you reading?' thread. We met Siegfried Sassoon in the earlier photo by the Mersey, and I think we're now on the other shore, perhaps looking back to Fleetwood (where Owen was for a while)? But I can't remember what the actual question was now :unsure:

Whoops, cross posted with Marilyne...

Richard

We are not at Eat apples, but the subject of the thread was there. She may be one of the subjects of Marilyne's current research. The other individual in the thread is still there.

We are actually in exactly the same position as the previous photo looking south into the Mersey; this is looking west along the north Welsh coast, or would be if it wasn't for the pesky blizzard. The poet is Graves, who spent the latter part of his war on that coast in a large facility called?

Pete.

55 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

Tranmere Rovers

:P

This is another example of more being less where clues are concerned; I should have learned my lesson. So to summarise the photo points to where Robert Graves spent some of the latter part of the war, a place that the author J B Priestley also knew. It begins with K and is quite famous or infamous for other reasons.

The favourite thread was started by someone whose forum name is taken from a mispronounced wood on the Somme and centres around a letter written by a lady whose grave is across the bay a bit further along the coast from where Graves and Priestley were stationed. Marilyne went to Etaples recently and photographed a photograph on a grave, the occupant of which was the subject of the letter.

I've probably muddied the waters even more, but I'm keen to find out where John's two crosses are situated.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

It begins with K and is quite famous or infamous for other reasons.

Would that be Kinmel Park Training Camp at Rhyl where the Canadians mutinied with resultant deaths?

23 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Would that be Kinmel Park Training Camp at Rhyl where the Canadians mutinied with resultant deaths?

It would indeed. Nearby Rhyl is hidden in the snow in the picture.

The thread that I have been alluding to started in September 2013 and was last updated in July 2020 as a result of an act of kind and thoughtful remembrance by Marilyne. I'm so fond of the thread that I may have to spill the beans unless Marilyne identifies it. I look out over the bay often and think of Sister Lucy Deakin.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

sorry ... still lost... 

What was the question again??? 

M.

29 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

What was the question again??? 

What is the name of the thread that introduced us all to Sister Lucy Deakin, whose last resting place is across the bay from where Sassoon threw his medal ribbon into the sea. You did a really kind thing with a photograph on a grave at Etaples and posted it on the thread.

Clue - home, day, letter, 1916, this, on. Rearrange these words to make the name of the thread.......

Pete.

Got it Pete, plus the misspelled Wood. 😉

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Got it Pete, plus the misspelled Wood. 😉

Some lousy clues from you this time Pete😁

7 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Boom boom ☺

Still completely lost as to what we're looking for... 

SO I'll just break the cycle and put forward to you another cemetery: 

D94A0192.JPG.ba83b34b15b7899ddc8e6f7cd84e3cae.JPG

Belgian, obviously... 

The name is also the title of a heavy metal song in west-flemish !!! 

have fun!

M.

11 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Still completely lost as to what we're looking for... 

The snowy picture I posted looks out across the bay towards the churchyard with this grave, posted in possibly my favourite thread. One day I will visit and try and get a photo looking back the other way to Formby Point.

And your very significant part in it with the other photo that I find so remarkable.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Thank you Mr K, I do try.

As you may remember from the WiT? post of John Duesbery's photo I have 'issues' as the Americans say with the modern interpretation of the work of one of the poets with Merseyside connections whose adolescent home is visible from Formby Point. When I think of the literary connections visible and the sheer volume of tedious textual analysis and ludicrous extrapolation about understanding WW1 derived from that poetry I can't help feeling that Lucy Deakin's letters to Tom's family gets closer to the truth than all of it. Of all the places visible from that snowy sandbank I think the churchyard that is Lucy's last resting place is the most moving of them all.

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Boom boom ☺

Would that be the monstrous anger of the guns Mr P?

What I'm intrigued by is how all the clues seemed to take everyone in general and Marilyne in particular further into confusion. Don't tell her this but she is a very sharp cookie and I'm really surprised she didn't spot it in nanoseconds, maybe it's the Spanish R&R at her folks' place. It's probably as much my fault, and if I were a better and nicer person I would be contrite. Next chance I get I'll buy her a waffle to compensate.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
Apostrophe and spelling issues

Looks like she might be getting her own back on you Pete. How's your knowledge of Flemish heavy metal songs coming along? 😁

Just now, neverforget said:

Looks like she might be getting her own back on you Pete. How's your knowledge of Flemish heavy metal songs coming along? 😁

It's increasing, admittedly from a very very low base. I'm also intrigued by the idea that there might be separate east and west Flemish metal scenes. At very least I am never ever going to accept criticism for a sloping horizon from now on. It's John's one that I'm really stumped by, there is something familiar about it but I can't put my finger on it.

OK... now I follow... 

for Pete's information:  West Flemish is a perfectly not-understandable dialect ... once described by the Master of Belhaven as "a horrible mixture of bad french and even worse German" ... or something like that. Don't have the quote at hand. And yes, there is a very locally active band that has a song about the place that this cemetery's at... considering the number of Belgian military cemeteries, professionals like you guys should be able to figure this out ... 

M.

• Admin

I think I have it, not been there, but it may well figure on my planned April visit. Now to get listening to the band, never heard of them before. I assume the link is they come from this place @Marilyne but of course I’m talking about the photo  posted by  @Frajohn, not about your sloping war graves. 

Conscious that Marilyne’s clue is still on ‘active service’, but thought I’d post another anyway as it’s posted ‘live’ (waiting for a nearby museum to open). Where are we and what museum might I eventually get into??!

Richard

24663F85-4FDD-4256-868E-69D96C9B7E9F.jpeg