Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

Hi Richard

You are in the right area. Think of a remarkable Bastille day a long time ago.......

Pete.

Ah yes - thanks @Fattyowls, so we're around the Bazentin/Longueval Ridge but no obvious match yet...

Back later,

Richard

3 minutes ago, Old Forge said:

Back later,

You are right on the money Richard; think of something anomalous on the ridge, which we could also describe as the Longueval-Bazentin ridge.......

Pete.

What is interesting is the way the two features bearing the same name don't insect anywhere which makes the naming odd.

Pete

On 24/10/2021 at 22:20, Fattyowls said:

I fully concur Richard. I've watched Marilyne composing photos and the trouble she takes is evident; I really should be inspired to try harder. I hope I won't cause Michelle to blush (stop reading now Michelle if you blush easily) but it's the clever viewpoints that I really like. That said there is a lot of top quality stuff in the thread. This isn't one of them - but setting aside the centered horizon outrage (Marilyne, don't look at the photo, you'll only get annoyed) where is it? As a clue the viewpoint and a topographical feature hidden in the middle distance share the same name.........

image.jpeg.2714f28e88cd29d44741f58304b80cb6.jpeg

Are you somewhere near Quarry Cemetery on the Montauban to Bazentin Le Grand Road looking towards Caterpillar Wood/Mametz Wood?

Richard

1 hour ago, dickaren said:

Are you somewhere near Quarry Cemetery on the Montauban to Bazentin Le Grand Road

I am, I think Quarry is just out of sight between the tree and the wood just below the left centre horizon, the small trees are in the cemetery. Caterpillar wood is the key to where I'm taking the photograph from; think of the landscape feature that the wood is in and a prominent landmark on the road.

Pete.

Just to assist with the identification of the two places on the Somme battlefield that bear the same name, this is from the same spot but pointing north west.......

image.jpeg.fb5cda64fdaa7a211f1ee706df9c352f.jpeg

....and in a desperate attempt to aid identification here's the view looking the other way from the one above. I'm giving it away I tells ya.......

57857185_NZMemorial.JPG.14b6d17c5d429824a20a0a81de257c78.JPG

That’s Caterpillar Valley NZ Memorial, so t’other one must be Caterpillar Valley Cemetery Longueval 

Definitely givin’ it away

Edited by Knotty

Is the wrong answer. Clearly the absence of cabling or any kind of suspended wiring has led you down a blind valley.....

Remember back what seems like several weeks ago to the original photograph; it looks out over a gently sloping landscape with the tops of trees in a valley in the middle distance. That low ground is Caterpillar valley, yet we are at Caterpillar Valley cemetery (with New Zealand Memorial), which is neither in a valley nor resembles any kind of immature insect life. I titled my original Caterpillar valley from Caterpillar Valley.

When I was reading up on the naming of the cemetery I noticed that the CWGC description of the cemetery goes to some lengths to suggest that Caterpillar Valley cemetery is much closer to Caterpillar valley itself by suggesting that it runs all the way up to Guillemont. My understanding was that it was the wooded part over a mile away from the cemetery at the bottom of the valley that Flatiron Copse cemetery stands in. Certainly that is what Martin Middlebrook says in his Guide to the Somme Battlefields. While hydrologically speaking the CWGC might be right on the money (although there probably hasn't been any water in the valley since the last ice age) I think it is the wooded bit which probably looked like a caterpillar on the aerial photos (and still does) hence the name of the wood and the valley it stands in.

I am seriously considering a long walk next time I'm there from Bazentin, down past Flatiron Copse to the Welsh Dragon (which I've never visited) then trying to follow the valley up to Guillemont. If I find water would have to flow up hill I may have to take issue with the CWGC......

Pete.

I’ve totally lost it, mind you in my defence I’ve had a couple of bad weeks and those meds have now worn off, to be taken over by the Pfizer booster which has given me flu like symptoms 😂😂

Will try harder.

Just now, Knotty said:

I’ve totally lost it, mind you in my defence I’ve had a couple of bad weeks and those meds have now worn off, to be taken over by the Pfizer booster which has given me flu like symptoms 😂😂

Will try harder.

Worry not Mr K, trying hard is for oiks, appearing to achieve effortlessly is what we should aspire to. I was absolutely convinced someone would get the photo immediately, but I suspect that like WiT more clues just confused the issue. There is a lovely photo of Regina Trench cemetery in Dah's thread about it being inaccessible and I would like to walk that way. I suspect that following Caterpillar valley and then doing the Courcelette circuit to take Regina Trench and ADANAC will require some new sturdy footware. Along with walking all the other bits of the Somme this thread has shown I don't know (trying to find Contalmaison as per the first few posts in this thread for example) means I'm going to have to average about 50km a day when I finally get back there.

Pete.

Hi guys... just a couple pictures for you to enjoy. Got off the beaten paths on this one: Boyfriend and me stopped at Lorraine Cemetery in St Avold yesterday on the way back from Alsace... thought you might enjoy a couple pics... 

Taken with the cell-phone... and only a minimum of filter on them. 

20211031_141918.jpg.326f962b2e8d99069d86ca32172c43e5.jpg

Gorgeous  autumn colors of course !! 

20211031_142733.jpg.bcee2146de6bba40a1e320cae4b61578.jpg

Of course I needed to look for the ladies... there are 11 of them in this cemetery and I managed to find the most notable of them: Leonora Lindsley was a member of the famous "Rochambettes", the all-female ambulance unit attached to Gen Leclerc's 2nd Armoured Division. She was killed in a road accident near to Berechtesgarden. 

20211031_173136.jpg.0d66f1128cbbea0b5e51c22f4129f8b2.jpg

have a great evening, 

M. 

Edited by Marilyne

• Admin

I’m very envious of your trip to Alsace, it’s a beautiful place. 

There's some cracking pic posted and I'm only up to page 15. 

• Admin

A very cold damp January day. Where was I and what am I looking towards?

A0040E11-B3B6-4FFA-92A0-420FF2A7CDA3.jpeg

A German cemetery with a CWGC memorial in proximity; which may be further away than it looks. Which is a long winded way of saying I haven't a clue as usual, although I am looking forward to finding where it is.

Pete.

• Admin

Certainly is, on one of those days which chill your bones. 

As usual I've been close but did not qualify for the metaphorical cigar. Another one (or in fact two) for my much planned return to Arras, which may require a stay of about a month. Thanks to you both, the reveal did not disapoint.

Pete.

• Admin

A few more from that day. A couple of chasseurs and their dog walked through the cemetery into the gloom. 

B23802E4-2E16-4CDB-8E1D-D76C23BB07CB.jpeg

BB661615-3402-41B5-976F-DE9E1C26038A.jpeg

EABF314B-DDD0-4354-981E-34A3048AADDE.jpeg

7493D433-2052-4C31-9749-07BBE812A4D8.jpeg

The cold evident in the atmospheric pictures at St Laurent-Blagny made me think of another winter scene. Something very singular happened very close to this spot which was misreported for many years; so where am I, who was involved and what happened?

Pete.

IMG_0920.JPG.69199d728636cc3bcac7a714251d6c36.JPG

I dropped in on the thread and I am sure I noticed a tumbleweed blow across. Maybe a clue may be timely, so if I said I've never been to the French or Belgian coast in winter would that help? I really like the image although Marilyne may have some technical advice, I think it is almost poetic........

Pete.