Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

3 hours ago, gilbo139 said:

Churchyard  in England which has a pub in its grounds.

St John Baptist at Claines I'll wager (although the church may take a dim view of gambling). I'm not surprised @Knotty knew, but with a pub in the churchyard and the Severn nearby I would have thought it would be right up @neverforget's street, or should I say stream. Maybe he's strictly a Batham's man and sticks to river banks rather than the brewery?

A very attractive set of photos Mr G.

Pete.

5 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

St John Baptist at Claines I'll wager (although the church may take a dim view of gambling). I'm not surprised @Knotty knew, but with a pub in the churchyard and the Severn nearby I would have thought it would be right up @neverforget's street, or should I say stream. Maybe he's strictly a Batham's man and sticks to river banks rather than the brewery?

A very attractive set of photos Mr G.

Pete.

Darn, I should have recognised that church, as I walked past it most weekends as a young strapling, with my grandfather, father, and uncle after getting off the bus on the A38 Droitwich Road, walking down Claines Lane and onwards to the River Salwarpe for a day's fishing. Quite a walk carrying an old wicker creel full of tackle, rods etc etc. Nodody would dream of doing that these days. Sadly it was a thing of the past before I graduated to my ale supping days, so I  had no idea about the pub. Your post brought back some very happy memories though, especially of my granddad.

20200704_202737.jpg.bcbb3fb2a3996814d59d768ef663f324.jpg

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Sandra reference......

Just to put you out of your misery, Sandra is the local EOHO volunteer coordinator for the CWGC, of which Mr G and myself are part of.

The Mug House is a Bank’s establishment, reasonable pint in this case. @neverforget now there’s an idea😁

J

5 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Just to put you out of your misery, Sandra is the local EOHO volunteer coordinator for the CWGC, of which Mr G and myself are part of.

The Mug House is a Bank’s establishment, reasonable pint in this case. @neverforget now there’s an idea😁

J

Yes John. Banks do brew a decent drop so it would be good to join you for one there and raise a glass to some happy childhood memories. 

Give me a shout when you're going back there and I'll come and help you put some of that sweat back.👍

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

Mr G

I see you are also one of Sandra’s cohort😁, I know the Church and the pub so I will keep quiet and let the others have a go.

John

2 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

St John Baptist, Claines?

Been busy tonight at The Mug House………yes well done St. John The Baptist it is…..it’s nice to be involved a bit cheers all !

6 hours ago, Old Forge said:

it sounds an interesting place!

It is Richard, although like most subjects I can make it really dull. There is a lot of WW1 poetry in that photograph.

The officers of the RWF camp at Litherland were given honourary membership of Formby Golf Club and Sassoon (who was a good golfer) and Graves (who wasn't) would walk down past the munitions works across the road, cross the canal bridge and catch the train up to Formby from Seaforth station. Going the other way would take them into Liverpool Exchange Station; the court of enquiry at which Graves defended Sassoon took place in the station hotel. In the photo the Wirral side of the river is visible with Prenton on the skyline, Wilfred Owen grew up there as his father was station master at Woodside, which was on the river. Graves' defence of Sassoon got him sent to Craiglockhart in Edinburgh where Sassoon famously met Owen. The fourth and usually overlooked poet who trained with the RWF at Litherland was the Welsh poet Hedd Wyn aka Ellis Evans who was killed on the 31st July 1917 at Ypres and is buried in Artillery Wood. The Eistedffod at which Hed Wynn was awarded the Bardic Chair six weeks after his death took place in Birkenhead Park just over the horizon in the picture.

Pete.

35 minutes ago, neverforget said:

especially of my granddad

Is that the grandad that used to be your avatar Mr P? It's a wonderful photo either way. Initially I thought that the mention of a river called the Salwarpe was you pulling my lariat (as Cleavon Little says in Blazing Saddles). But it's true, it's true (as Madeline Kahn says, when she discovers the length of Cleavon Little's lariat). I am now much more clued up on tributaries of the Severn than I was two hours ago......

Pete.

39 minutes ago, Knotty said:

EOHO?

I'm going to make a complete fool of myself asking this but what does EOHO stand for in this kontext Mr K?

2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Is that the grandad that used to be your avatar Mr P? It's a wonderful photo either way. Initially I thought that the mention of a river called the Salwarpe was you pulling my lariat (as Cleavon Little says in Blazing Saddles). But it's true, it's true (as Madeline Kahn says, when she discovers the length of Cleavon Little's lariat). I am now much more clued up on tributaries of the Severn than I was two hours ago......

Pete.

It is one and the same gentleman Pete. He was Harry, the brother of Albert kia at Triangle Wood, and John M.M. who served with the West Yorks, won his M.M. at Hill 60 and survived the conflict. Harry was my hero in so many ways, taught me so much, and we were very close. Sadly, I lost him in the mid 70s. If I am half as good in the role of grandad to my 4 granddaughters I will have done a fine job.

Eyes On Hands On, are volunteers that keep a look out and clean CWGC graves in local churches and cemeteries. It’s a scheme that ensures that gravestones do not fall into a state that results in replacement unless necessary. We also keep an eye on private memorials and via CWGC pass on information condition to the relevant diocese, particularly now as these are becoming less maintained as the years pass

9 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I'm going to make a complete fool of myself asking this but what does EOHO stand for in this kontext Mr K?

Eyes On Hands On, are volunteers that keep a look out and clean CWGC graves in local churches and cemeteries. It’s a scheme that ensures that gravestones do not fall into a state that results in replacement unless necessary. We also keep an eye on private memorials and via CWGC pass on information condition to the relevant diocese, particularly now as these are becoming less maintained as the years pass

A very admirable activity for both of you Mr G and Mr K, excellent. The only explanation of EOHO I could find was Eat Out to Help Out, but I knew it wasn't that.

Pete.

46 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Give me a shout when you're going back there and I'll come and help you put some of that sweat back.👍

I can probably make it early December now, still some issues with SWMBO

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

A very admirable activity for both of you Mr G and Mr K, excellent. 

Pete.

Hear hear!

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I can probably make it early December now, still some issues with SWMBO

Anytime John. Looks like things are about to happen with my lung surgery soon too at long last, so we'll have to play it by ear. Best wishes to your good lady. 

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Looks like things are about to happen with my lung surgery soon

I'll keep fingers and everything else anatomically feasible crossed matey. If I have to go to a chiropractor then so be it. I was going to say physiotherapist but I can't spell it.......

6 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

A very admirable activity for both of you Mr G and Mr K, excellent. The only explanation of EOHO I could find was Eat Out to Help Out, but I knew it wasn't that.

Pete.

Did some of that as well. I find it quite a rewarding thing to do in retirement, makes you feel reasonably useful at a time in your life when it would be easy to sit back and do very little. But there’s no clocking in or out and just the minimum amount of technology involved which I can just about cope with !

3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I'll keep fingers and everything else anatomically feasible crossed matey. If I have to go to a chiropractor then so be it. I was going to say physiotherapist but I can't spell it.......

😁😁

Cheers pal.👍

3 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Interesting one, his records on the CWGC site say 23rd Manchesters/14th TMB and that he came from Manitoba.

Thanks Pete and I'm glad to have been able to input once more.  It's taken me out of my despair as I was performing as badly in this thread as I do in "Who is this???"  The relief will, however, be shortlived - if not because of a return to my usual form in this thread then certainly after tonight's/tomorrow morning's "football" game.

Reg

• Admin

I always enjoy seeing birds or animals in the cemeteries. Disturbed a hare in Le Touret last month. We also saw so may butterflies and dragonflies. 

• Admin

And this tiny little thing at Bailleuil Road West. 

8BD125BE-C733-46F1-A2E8-E56117C7124D.jpeg

A couple of seconds before I took this photo a hare crossed the track, and I was periodically buzzed by iridecent irridisant irridassant shiny dragonflies. None of which I could photograph of course so you'll have to take my word for it. Honest, no word of a lie, it's the truth (officer).

But where is the track?

1713026051_Hiddenwildlife.jpg.81f0e3de34733e1c358b3190a74a13c5.jpg

16 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

As well as Asquith, always visit the man next to him, Lt Treffrey, his wounding and journey to the aid post is graphically and movingly recorded by C P Blacker. I’m having a mental block and I can’t recall the name of his book!  Edit it’s called Have You Forgotten Yet? 

16 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Which is a line written by (tip of my tongue moment).......Siegfried Sassoon? Symetry (or symmetry, one of the two).

Pete

Crikey, turn my back on the bus stop for two minutes to light a fag and the whole bus depot sails by...

Yes, definite synchronicity at work, Sassoon ending 'Aftermath' (March 1919) with 'Have you forgotten yet?.../Look up, and swear by the green of the spring that you'll never forget.'

Many thanks Pete for explaining the literary landscape, putting four of the Great War poets in the same picture - brilliant! 

Love the nature photos as well, thanks all!

Richard

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

A couple of seconds before I took this photo a hare crossed the track, and I was periodically buzzed by iridecent irridisant irridassant shiny dragonflies. None of which I could photograph of course so you'll have to take my word for it. Honest, no word of a lie, it's the truth (officer).

But where is the track?

1713026051_Hiddenwildlife.jpg.81f0e3de34733e1c358b3190a74a13c5.jpg

I'm thinking I'm somewhere around the Flers/Courcelette line, or a little further south around Longueval. Spreading my bets a bit, I know...

Richard

1 hour ago, Old Forge said:

I'm thinking I'm somewhere around the Flers/Courcelette line, or a little further south around Longueval. Spreading my bets a bit, I know...

Richard

You are very close Richard; I threw this in for Don Regiano as it is close(ish) to his manor. I took a photo of a prominent man made landmark which was over to my left immediately after I took that one. There isn't any visible wildlife in that one either.....

• Admin

Near Eaucourt Abbaye?