Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

31 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Near Eaucourt Abbaye? 

Very near. The trees on the right are around the site. I think that is Deville Wood on the horizon and that may be Flers to the right behind the telegraph pole. I have to admit that I'm quite uncertain of my bearings in this area. Good spot, pity about the fast moving wildlife.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

Don Regiano

Now you are trying to wind me up after our magnificent victory last night/this morning.  There are one or two tracks like that in that area.  The view of the overhead lines in the far distance are reminiscent of those close to High Wood .... which would place you somewhere near Pozieres?

Edited by Don Regiano

39 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

Now you are trying to wind me up after our magnificent victory last night/this morning.  There are one or two tracks like that in that area.  The view of the overhead lines in the far distance are reminiscent of those close to High Wood .... which would place you somewhere near Pozieres?

In the other direction Reg; I was on my way here:

213380500_WarlencourtMilitaryCemetery1.JPG.bc98c3244f9aba7ea89cefa5b9c22f9e.JPG

58 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

Looks more like Warlencourt Pete.

That's spot on Reg. I walked from John's in Martinpuich down to Eaucourt-l'Abbaye and on over the ridge that the butte is on to Warlencourt. I was visiting one of Helpjpl's relatives, this is the view back to the butte from Noel Jordan's grave. One of the many walks I have planned for when I eventually return is back that way and out to Grevillers to visit William Braidwood, the last of the Kiwi Everton players to fall.

1781370676_NoelJordanwiththeButte.JPG.c3e2edb93d5260e23ce1c13b97e0b5a4.JPG

47 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

That's spot on Reg. I walked from John's in Martinpuich down to Eaucourt-l'Abbaye and on over the ridge that the butte is on to Warlencourt. I was visiting one of Helpjpl's relatives, this is the view back to the butte from Noel Jordan's grave. One of the many walks I have planned for when I eventually return is back that way and out to Grevillers to visit William Braidwood, the last of the Kiwi Everton players to fall.

1781370676_NoelJordanwiththeButte.JPG.c3e2edb93d5260e23ce1c13b97e0b5a4.JPG

Some nice photos Pete.  My view is normally from the other direction (Flers to Ligny-Thilloy) except when I'm, less usually,  travelling the Albert-Bapaume road.

11 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

Some nice photos Pete.

It's a wander that I look on fondly, particularly as I've not been able to return. It was a beautiful late afternoon, there was just me and the wildlife and I was exploring a bit of the battlefield that I wasn't familiar with. I did there and back at the double and was back in time for one of Mrs K's sumptuous dinners. I want to do more exploring of that area, Grevillers aside. There's the area in front of Guedecourt where the legendary Welsh goalkeeper Leigh Roose was lost in particular, along with Egbert's great uncle Kurt. I haven't quite got the hang of where everywhere is in relation to each other. Most of my captions describe a village on the horizon as Gueudecourt when it s actually Ligny-Thilloy.

Pete.

4 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

It's a wander that I look on fondly, particularly as I've not been able to return. It was a beautiful late afternoon, there was just me and the wildlife and I was exploring a bit of the battlefield that I wasn't familiar with. I did there and back at the double and was back in time for one of Mrs K's sumptuous dinners. I want to do more exploring of that area, Grevillers aside. There's the area in front of Guedecourt where the legendary Welsh goalkeeper Leigh Roose was lost in particular, along with Egbert's great uncle Kurt. I haven't quite got the hang of where everywhere is in relation to each other. Most of my captions describe a village on the horizon as Gueudecourt when it s actually Ligny-Thilloy.

Pete.

Yes Pete, there is so much to see, especially after researching someone or something.  Quite coincidentally I am reading A Sturdy Race of Men about the Northumberland Fusiliers territorials.  (SWMBO's great uncle was with the 1/6 when he was mortally wounded in September 1916 near High Wood.)  I'm currently up to the end of 1916 when they were in action on the eastern side of the Butte.  I did find a bullet at the edge of the field immediately to the south of the Butte when I was accompanied by a friend from England.  He is now the proud owner, together with some other stuff from High Wood.

It's quite surprising how easy it is to stumble from one village to another, especially when using the minor roads (or tracks).  I guess walking is even better, if somewhat slower.  The first grave visit we ever made was to a relation of my cousin (who, unfortunately supports that other team that plays in red) who was in the KLR and died in October 1916 on the other side of Gueudecourt, quite close to the Caribou and now buried at Bancourt.  It's not an area I know very well but it is surprising how close it is to some of the areas I have visited - as some of your previous photos have shown.  When I go to our place I always come off the autoroute at Bapaume and then go through the battlefield on the Ligny-Flers-Longueval-Guillemont road.  It always serves to reinforce that the distances weren't that great, especially when I approach Delville Wood and just glance to the right to see High Wood.

Take care.

Reg

(BTW I did figure one of your earlier photos was of the PDR of Merseyside but was beaten to the punch.  One day I will tell you an amusing story of when I was walking back across the sands from a bit of night fishing with my dad when I was about 11 or 12 years old.)

• Admin

Taken on a beautiful April evening listening to cuckoos , and on a cold wet November day. Where is this.

24F48878-73B7-44C0-9007-A592F05E385D.jpeg

55707E26-5FE9-48E8-ADBE-B16018551622.jpeg

This feels French, the windmills and possibly a water tower look familiar. A communal extension on the Somme possibly? This is extrapolation from very incomplete data so I am not confident at all. Like the idea of the cuckoos however.

Pete.

• Admin

Not on the Somme

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Not on the Somme

Of course other battlefields with windmills are available. It will be interesting to see just how many communal extensions there are in France and Flanders, I'd wager it is another of your favourites perhaps?

Pete.

• Admin

Maybe 😋

On 11/11/2021 at 17:45, gilbo139 said:

I’d be in as well if you accepted less educated individuals, with a half decent camera that I don’t know how to get the best out of. A liking for real ale and a 40 odd year interest in the First World War and more recently an EOHO Volunteer 😀

E2188B3E-2283-4462-8376-361B17865E2F.jpeg

This is an amazing shot!!!! 

I love this thread!! 

M.

• Admin

Not there, no. 

@gilbo139 - that's praise indeed from Marilyne for your robin shots. All I ever get is grief about where the horizon is and teasing about my waffle issues. I'm off to read 'Elergy Written In A Country Churchyard'......

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
Rogue parenthesis

Right, just had a quick whizz through of about a third of the CWGC's cemeteries with 'communal extension' in them, leaving out those described as 'Somme'. Result - still none the wiser. So much for sampling.

Pete.

3 hours ago, Marilyne said:

This is an amazing shot!!!! 

I love this thread!! 

M.

Thanks Marilyne , I think I’ve said before I love this thread as well and am an avid follower however I don’t participate a lot as I’m not on the same level as yourselves , I do try and work out the locations and I’ve been close a few times, I’ve got a few snaps from the 1980s and when I sort them out perhaps I’ll put them on !! 

@gilbo139 - that's praise indeed from Marilyne for your robin shots. All I ever get is grief about where the horizon is and teasing about my waffle issues. I'm off to read 'Elergy Written In A Country Churchyard'......

Pete.

I have to admit I’m glad the Robin has got a bit of recognition, I would have replied earlier but I’ve been in the Churchyard grounds…..drinking the amber ale in the Mug House…..as I leave I say a quiet goodnight to those whose headstones I now look after 🌺

Right, just had a quick whizz through of about a third of the CWGC's cemeteries with 'communal extension' in them, leaving out those described as 'Somme'. Result - still none the wiser. So much for sampling.

Pete.

If it's any consolation that sounds very much like the approach that I use to solve puzzlers on WIT, and more often than not with similar results. 😊

I think you might be onto something there John. The CWGC photos have a lot fewer trees but the crucifix looks very close. There's no substitute for local knowledge.

Pete.

• Admin

Still no. Geographically, Johns guess is warmer than Marilynes. 

it was worth a shot ! 

@Fattyowls... we have a saying in French "qui aime bien, châtie bien" ... ***

M.