Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

• Admin

I had a similar wait, on a filthy cold wet day in January 2018, with a need for the museum to open so I could use the facilities…

F1582E0A-6A96-46C5-AC13-317B5A0FB760.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I had a similar wait, on a filthy cold wet day in January 2018, with a need for the museum to open so I could use the facilities…

F1582E0A-6A96-46C5-AC13-317B5A0FB760.jpeg

🤣

Is there a huntin' shootin' and fishin' connection Richard? As for the museum maybe they are working on antipodean time.......

Pete.

3 hours ago, Old Forge said:

use the facilities…

Which are very nice as I remember them; but useless if closed. That area is not well served for services.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

Which are very nice as I remember them; but useless if closed. That area is not well served for services.

One point the other half used to complain about, after one such visit she never drank coffee before war graving

6 hours ago, Marilyne said:

OK... now I follow... 

for Pete's information:  West Flemish is a perfectly not-understandable dialect ... once described by the Master of Belhaven as "a horrible mixture of bad french and even worse German" ... or something like that. Don't have the quote at hand.  M.

same as we were told about Northern France being a mix of French and Belgian

55 minutes ago, chaz said:

same as we were told about Northern France being a mix of French and Belgian

Or "Alsacien" as being half french, half German...

in the same vein: try and understand the "Kelmischer Platt", the sort of language they speak in Boyfriend's village... especially when spoken by a bunch of old men after one too many beers... 

M.

So as I think Marilyne has correctly identified the Lys valley's newest war cemetery we still have John's communal cemetery (or extension) with the two crosses and Marilyne's alarmingly sloping Belgian contribution. On John's I decided to look for communal cemeteries on the Somme in order of number of casualties and didn't find a match. Which suggests to me that it is a communal extension or not in the Somme area (or both).

As for Marilyne's I wondered if it was Champion near Namur, but English language internet resources to link the metal band are decidedly poor.

Pete.

• Admin

After some very lateral thinking about Belgian Metal bands, I came up with Amenra who hail from Kortrijk which is where Johns photo is taken. 

19 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

As for Marilyne's I wondered if it was Champion near Namur, but English language internet resources to link the metal band are decidedly poor.

Pete.

they don't talk west-flemish in Namur... sorry

6 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

After some very lateral thinking about Belgian Metal bands, I came up with Amenra who hail from Kortrijk which is where Johns photo is taken. 

not Amenra. 

Tip: the place is also famous for a chimney and a train station

M. 

• Admin

@Frajohnphoto is Kortrijk St Jan isn’t it? 

26 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

they don't talk west-flemish in Namur... sorry

not Amenra. 

Tip: the place is also famous for a chimney and a train station

M. 

Schoonselhof Cemetery?

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Schoonselhof Cemetery?

that's in aaaaantwerpe... 

M.

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ramskapelle?

YES !!! 

We have a winner... 

and as a price, you may now all listen to 4 minutes of WEST VLAAMS

M. 

12 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

that's in aaaaantwerpe... 

M.

Wild guess based on the train station 😊 Edit..Well done Knotty 👍

Edited by neverforget

48 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Wild guess based on the train station

I thought I recognised it from the hedge amongst the headstones and I spent ages looking, but could not put a name until M mentioned the station, then the son of a railway man came out, and I found my old picture of a “derelict” station and written on the back was ……..😁

Well done all! (Thought Fromelles wouldn’t test the leetle grey cells too much). I travelled down from Wipers yesterday to see where 2/Wilts experienced their Christmas truce, plus their involvement in Neuve Chapelle, Aubers and Festubert. I found this poignant story-in-waiting in the Rue David Cemetery.

Richard 

D6E56002-1676-4A63-B246-6A3D8E2AD439.jpeg

Edited by Old Forge

5 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

@Frajohnphoto is Kortrijk St Jan isn’t it? 

Quite correct, well done.

I was sure that answered this earlier so sorry if duplicated

John

Edited by Frajohn

37 minutes ago, Frajohn said:

Kortrijk St Jan

Is there a story behind the smaller cross with the same design John?

2 hours ago, Old Forge said:

I travelled down from Wipers yesterday to see where 2/Wilts experienced their Christmas truce

Where exactly were they Richard? From Chris Baker's 'Truce' I can see that they were between Bois Grenier and Rue du Bois, and he quotes the war diary. That area in general and the truce in particular are abiding interests of mine, maybe you could post a photo or two? I'm quite envious.

Pete.

10 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Is there a story behind the smaller cross with the same design John?

Hi Pete

Nothing that I am aware of, though my visit there was a long time ago

Regards

John

• Admin

Some years apart, and to paraphrase the song,  Nice face, shame about the legs. Where is this?

5A6BD670-4602-4B66-A1AC-74FB70485F05.jpeg

64B4D662-39D6-41E0-BC69-7B6AE5D4BDB1.jpeg

9 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Some years apart, and to paraphrase the song,  Nice face, shame about the legs. Where is this?

the white socks!!! 

Love'em !! 

M.

On 22/11/2021 at 11:51, Michelle Young said:

to paraphrase the song

Does your lord and master ever look in on the forum Michelle? Just asking for a friend. Pass on our best anyway.

I took a look at both photos and tried to fit the scene to somewhere I knew and thought of the Lonsdales on the Somme looking back towards Thiepval. I am sure I am wrong but that is what the lie of the land reminded me of. Which is as usual a long winded way of saying sorry I haven't a clue. It's interesting the way the trees have grown; I was just looking at a photo of the NZ Memorial at Messines and thinking that it was completely in the open with no trees when I first went there.

Pete.