Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

@Fattyowls: nopes!!! 

Thought the memorial should give it away... 

M.

1 minute ago, Sly said:

I am  impressed, well spotted

Thanks Sly. When I am finally able to buy you a beer we can discuss the finer points of German reinforced concrete. I think I read somewhere that the first concrete emplacements were built in the Argonne as early as 1914, but I could be wrong. Because of my interest in the French army in general and Verdun in particular I've visited many sites but I can't remember actually seeing the Abri du Kronprinz. And I usually mix up 'de' and 'du' too.

Pete.

10 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Thought the memorial should give it away...

I'll have another think when I've had a coffee or two. The Sumatran beans should help a bit.

Pete.

I was talking rubbish not for the first time in my last caffeine deficient post. I think the first concrete poured by the Germans was at St Mihiel rather than the Argonne. As for Marilyne's one I'm still struggling. I was wondering if it was at the back of Tyne Cot by the visitor centre but I'm extremely doubtful. So much for EEEAAAASYYYY.

Pete.

3 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I was wondering if it was at the back of Tyne Cot by the visitor centre

of course it is! 

M.

A series of questions based on this photo:

• Where am I?
  • What's the name of the cemetery?
  • What is marked by the trees on the horizon?
  • Which northern towns are associated with it?
  • What mode of transport gives its name to a feature behind me?

image.jpeg.443beff26e45dd96966ac09899d3a10c.jpeg

1,  In the 1/7/16 'no mans land'

2, Could be Queens but not sure.

3, Serre

4, Accrington

5, Railway

A superb answer Mr S. I think it is Queens too, I'm standing just above the steps up from the old trench line which gives some sense of going over the top, the start of the crops across the field is roughly where the German front line was. Accrington is spot on too but there are three other towns or cities in northern England that are remembered here, one is easy, the other two less so I think.

Pete.

There are some serious experts here ! 

Let's try this one, a trench recreated by the Scouts a couple of years ago on its original location.

Where is it ?

20210701_141504.jpeg.5f0d423406e55fd14212cdb23f20f7e2.jpeg

... and to help a little bit, it's enemy trench just opposite the one above. This one is in its original condition (I guess you know who were there...)

20210701_141212.jpg.cc1e20b9422d05845c76730186f176b3.jpg

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

there are three other towns or cities in northern England

Chorley, Burnley and Barnsley IIRC, I will have a check later this evening.

John

3 hours ago, Knotty said:

Chorley

Was the one I regarded as difficult; however I was thinking of two great Yorkshire metropolises (or should that be metropoli?). I was thinking in terms of memorials or plaques but I am fully prepared to be suprised.

Pete.

Hi Pete

Still nowhere near my books to check, are you referring to the Bradford and Leeds battalions.?
The Barnsley Pals were the supporting battalions with Sheffield City & Accrington Pals battalions, of the 94th Brigade. The Burnley Pals (Z) made up one of the companies alongside the Chorley Pals (Y) company in the Accrington Pals Battalion, they both have a small memorial next to the bigger Accrington ”wall” in the S M Park.

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Was the one I regarded as difficult; however I was thinking of two great Yorkshire metropolises (or should that be metropoli?). I was thinking in terms of memorials or plaques but I am fully prepared to be suprised.

Pete.

You didn't include a question about Judy Dench - or her "boyfriend" Pete ;)

11 hours ago, Knotty said:

are you referring to the Bradford and Leeds battalions

I was thinking about Sheffield, as I that is the city I most associate with the apostle copses, and Leeds too. I have to admit that I tend to think of Leeds on the 1st July in terms of the 10th West Yorks at Fricourt. It's good to know of the others, thanks matey. Day, is, skool, every, a - rearrange these words to make a well know phrase or sentence....

10 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

You didn't include a question about Judy Dench - or her "boyfriend"

It crossed my mind but I couldn't frame a question. She is of course 'one of us' through her late husband and is a patron of EitC quite apart from being a great thespian. When I get back to Serre I intend to go in around the back to pay my respects as I'm interested in the ground that the French took behind the copses in 1915. I suspect a trip to Avril's might be involved too.

Pete.

P.S. I'm fascinated by @Sly's photos but as yet I haven't a clue. But it's good to get out and about, at least photographically.

7 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

It crossed my mind but I couldn't frame a question. She is of course 'one of us' through her late husband and is a patron of EitC quite apart from being a great thespian.

I didn't know that.  So that will be one of my learning items for today.

8 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

When I get back to Serre

It's not an area I visit very often.  The D919 (a road I do not like because of the fast HGVs ) from the tracks from Redan Ridge is normally as far as I go.  This thread has left me behind a long time ago - though I should have realised where your photo was from, having walked up that grassy track.  "Of course" came to mind when I got to stripeyman's answers.  But I did get the northern towns bit as a consolation (but no prize)

Reg

50 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

(but no prize)

Perhaps a spare reel of plastic cord for the strimmer could be mailed to you as a reward? Did I note your concern that the corn might be high as an elephant's eye at Regiano Acres (or should that be hectares?) in Picardie?

Pete.

P.S. Have you got any local knowledge that might help with Sly's recently dug trench?

3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Perhaps a spare reel of plastic cord for the strimmer could be mailed to you as a reward? Did I note your concern that the corn might be high as an elephant's eye at Regiano Acres (or should that be hectares?) in Picardie?

Pete.

P.S. Have you got any local knowledge that might help with Sly's recently dug trench?

A farmer's tractor would be more useful Pete.  I'm afraid I will be doing my Poldark impression (which is a worry with these French women around)!  It will be as high as you suggest - well, at least a baby elephant and I'm not sure what I'm likely to come across when I get started.  I really will have to arrange for someone to come around and cut the grass when we are not there.  We had this problem last year having not visited between mid-March and July but we thought it might just be a one-off!!!  At least we weren't as optimistic as the French vet who said in March 2020 that it would only last a fortnight!

I haven't the slightest idea about Sly's photo.  As you know, he is just around the corner in Péronne but it could be a thousand miles away (we do visit Péronne quite often though).  My knowledge of the area is extremely limited once I'm outside about a 10 mile radius of our place - and, as for Verdun, my knowledge is non-existent - I know more about LFC (I've washed my mouth out with a Brillo pad).

Keeping my fingers crossed that I will still be allowed to go across.

Reg

38 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

outside about a 10 mile radius of our place

But to be fair there's a lot of history packed into that circle, not that you can see any of it over the elephant eye high grass of course......

he is just around the corner in Péronne but it could be a thousand miles away

Yes, I was a long way from home. It's in an area that I have discovered in the last years with some amazing trenches running in the woods for kilometers and it seems that the German ones are concreted all the way. Just incredible...

Sly

Ive a few teasers so will start from one we used to visit , there was usually a bit of iron harvest lying around. a July '16 started cemetery,adopted by a Midlands borough

right hand.jpg

15 hours ago, chaz said:

Ive a few teasers so will start from one we used to visit , there was usually a bit of iron harvest lying around. a July '16 started cemetery,adopted by a Midlands borough

right hand.jpg

Berles Position Cemetery?

Richard

On 02/07/2021 at 13:45, Sly said:

Yes, I was a long way from home.

Are you in what was the St Mihiel salient Sly? Is around 220km what you would describe as a long way from home or were you even further away?

Pete.

5 hours ago, Sly said:

But where exactly  in the salient ?

As I mentioned before I had read somewhere about the Germans pouring a lot of concrete around St Mihiel, so it was an educated guess, but I'll have to do a bit more searching. I have visited the east west side of the salient between Montsec and Seicheprey and it doesn't look like that area so is it somewhere up on the north south line on the Cotes du Meuse? I'm guessing somewhere between Les Eparges and Lacroix perhaps?

It's good to take our focus further south either way.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls