Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

It's just south-east of Saint-Mihiel, in the forest of Apremont-la-forêt.

Take the D907 road towards Apremont, the area of the different trenches are well sign-posted from that road: on the western edge of the Wood is the "tranchée de la soif" just behind the French memorial. Great walk in the forest , return on the D907 then is another sign leading to the "tranchée des Bavarois" and "tranchée de Rouffignac" - another great example of concreted trenches - on the eastern edge of the wood is another site: "la croix des redoutes" and "le bois brulé" with German and French positions, that is where my photo was taken. These areas have been very well enhanced in the last years, and a walk in one of the numerous tracks into the forest Cleary show other concreted trenches and structures covered by vegetation. South of the D907 is also a German cemetery and a German hospital: a massive bunker in the middle of the forest. I shall explore more...

Another example of concreted trenches can be found is a little bit further at Flirey into the woods, follow the sign "tranchées allemandes de Saint-Baussent".

Here are some pics of the area taken this week:20210701_144350.jpg.4dca5ac883b8b6f8fe61203e4d98529f.jpg20210701_132502.jpg.be143420118e6ad82ad01cb00a305f75.jpg20210701_141236.jpg.192d65af77d2e7c7e543cd0319360c96.jpg20210701_132330.jpg.5b6411852af502b1099e9873c290b2b6.jpg

Good photos Sly. I have probably passed the area but we were on our way to Montsec as my traveling companion is American. Montsec is I think my second favourite US memorial, the views are amazing. Should I be in the area again I will try to check out the trenches.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2021 at 22:37, chaz said:

Ive a few teasers so will start from one we used to visit , there was usually a bit of iron harvest lying around. a July '16 started cemetery,adopted by a Midlands borough

right hand.jpg

@chaz. Is this Berles Position Cemetery?

Edited by dickaren
Typo

sorry, been tied up with other work.

yes, Berles Position, in the valley, the iron harvest rolls down the valleys for collection.

• Admin

The lovely Crump Trench Cemetery.

yes Crump, bit of a drive to get there, dont know if anyone noticed the rename on the picture "speedway" for the tie up with Phil and Jason Crump, speedway riders.

3 hours ago, chaz said:

talking of drives, and walks, another in a valley where the tarmac ran out.

from track.jpg

De Cusine Ravine?

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/07/2021 at 17:18, dickaren said:

De Cusine Ravine?

Richard

Hi Richard (@dickaren), De Cusine Ravine cemetery appears to have a tree in the middle of the plot. Chaz's photo might predate said tree (it isn't very tall), but there also seem to be too many trees in the general area... It does make me think of Beaumont Hamel, but then that's probably no better then saying it reminds me of the Somme...

Not much help, but I'll have a look as well to see if I can find a match!

Richard

Edited by Old Forge

good morning,

here is a satellite view of the cemetery of "cuisine ravine" south of Beaumetz les loges.

1412857532_cuinineravine.jpg.32ab0575c4ef06fe11f5616b9fd4ba39.jpg

552121373_cuinineravine.jpg.d9b8d5963ab7c216bbc111223ad58e84.jpg

I will make a picture of the latter this week or next week.

Kind regards

michel

Edited by battle of loos

been off for a while, pressures of nightshift.

yes it is de Cusine Ravine. accessed on a tarmac road which then changes to a track and finally across the edge of a field, as discussed on another topic, this is a cemetery at the end of a road not near a junction, photos taken in March 2018, 

ok, todays puzzle, its that close to a railway line, this one low level, the cemetery wall is the white in the bottom corner.train.jpg.cbf94551528fb7813ee68c14081ed82a.jpg

as a double up here is another a bit further away from the railway but higher than the line.

1129252923_train2.JPG.cab777282b3ab311d3f1168f65a781ee.JPG

Hi Chaz

I will take a punt on Larch Wood(Railway Cutting) Cemetery, the only other one close to a main line that I can think of off the top of my head is Croisilles Railway Cemetery, but the orientation is wrong.

• Admin

Railway Cutting Cemetery, Courcelles Le Comte

Slightly, but only slightly, off the beaten track. Where am I?

image.png.3a35675766cf7d266e68f48d876d62e6.png

• Admin
2 hours ago, chaz said:

Courcelles yes, the second one, first anyone?

Cojeuil British? 

• Admin
7 hours ago, Old Forge said:

image.png.3a35675766cf7d266e68f48d876d62e6.png

Merville? 

5 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Cojeuil British? 

Sorry Michelle, it is a British and within 15 mins from Cojeuil

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Merville? 

Nope

11 hours ago, Old Forge said:

Love the cobbles. It reminds me of Poperinge but that's more to do with my memory than confident identification. It's Flanders by the architecture but that hardly narrows it down.

Pete.

12 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Love the cobbles. It reminds me of Poperinge but that's more to do with my memory than confident identification. It's Flanders by the architecture but that hardly narrows it down.

Pete.

Getting warmer...