Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

Just now, Fattyowls said:

Is it my imagination or is bear looking a bit like a bear with a sore head?

Pete.

P.S. Any waffles news? Not that I am obsessed you understand........

The light does not do him justice and I feel like he's losing a bot of colour with every summer spent under the sun. in ten years I'll have apolar bear on my pack. For the rest, he's doing very well!!

The waffle shop is ... drumroll please ... OPEN !!! But I did not have a waffle today... the queue wa just too long... went to the Grenadiers bookshop instead and got a copy of Malcolm Brown's IWM Book of the Western Front and got Martial Lequeux's "Mes cloîtres dans la tempête" for Boyfriend. 

Tomorrow Vlamertinge, Brielen & Boezingen

M.

• Admin

@Frajohn St Quentin Basiilca? 

If higher is in the sense of taller rather than higher up the ecclesiastical ladder could it be the basilica at Albert? I have to confess to never having been in despite many visits to the town.

Pete.

hi Pete 

good thinking, but incorrect interpretation of 'higher'

below is the memorial in Amiens cathedral;

Amiens.jpg.c06cdf3a110f7639207799a367752e56.jpg

30 minutes ago, Frajohn said:

good thinking

Not something I can be accused of often. I'm not good on the hierarchy of the French church, St Denis in Paris is important as is Notre Dame but might it be Rheims, as the traditional coronation place of French kings?

Hi Pete

You were correct in thinking that it might not be related to the hierarchy of the church but incorrect in the actual height of the cathedral. .... another higher!

It was used as a German hospital during WW1

DSC01240.JPG.acd622a1c38b04d2c69c953cdd9d77e3.JPG

Interestingly there is an almost identical plaque in Rheims if Wikipedia is to be believed. I'm struggling now to think of a tall mediaeval Gothic cathedral which was in a German held area. Lille is quite modern if I remember correctly and Cambrai is French baroque in style. How about Laon?

Pete.

Well done Pete. 

Laon must be one of the higher Cathedrals as it sits atop a pretty tall hill.

DSC01240.thumb.JPG.f22dc831bcd16caf52da2b11d8c899bf.JPG

A good one John, it took me round various gothic cathedrals that I'd not looked at for decades; one of the times I went to Verdun I remember seeing Laon perched on the hill, so the clue now makes sense. When I think of Laon it brings to mind General Mangin's boast on the eve of the Nivelle offensive - "tomorrow my headquarters will be at Laon".

Send my best to your good lady wife and tell her I still pine for the croissants and the orange madeleines......

Pete.

Bit of news from our walks... got soaked through TWICE today, but in between had the time to dry in very hot sun. 

Today I dragged everybody off the tracks to Brandhoek first and then we passed Essex Farm for a second time this week.

DSC05560.JPG.c0a137ce783fcc94ab91c44ccf3bba51.JPG

Thought I'd give you another riddle... we passed a cemetery I'd never been to before... and found this epitaph... which I very much like. Which cemetery is it??? 

Clue: the name relates to a place of utmost importance for the world today. 

DSC05552.JPG.8e32a4d160aed0ddea948576f7d056ec.JPG

M.

• Admin

It looks like Essex Farm? 

Sorry did did not read the question. 

3 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Bit of news from our walks... got soaked through TWICE today, but in between had the time to dry in very hot sun. 

Today I dragged everybody off the tracks to Brandhoek first and then we passed Essex Farm for a second time this week.

DSC05560.JPG.c0a137ce783fcc94ab91c44ccf3bba51.JPG

Thought I'd give you another riddle... we passed a cemetery I'd never been to before... and found this epitaph... which I very much like. Which cemetery is it??? 

Clue: the name relates to a place of utmost importance for the world today. 

DSC05552.JPG.8e32a4d160aed0ddea948576f7d056ec.JPG

M.

Hospital Farm Cemetery?

Richard

• Admin

Kandahar farm? 

On 13/05/2021 at 14:24, Fattyowls said:

Right, I present this crime against proper photographic exposure for consideration. Where am I stood, what is the name of the wood a small portion of which is visible on the left edge and which cemetery is off to the right behind the trees?

Pete.

833563150_IMG_1831-Copy.JPG.05f28dafc03cbb85a7aca32fc0f81d12.JPG

Hi Pete, I'd say you're at the eastern tip of Railway Wood, looking down the Bellewaardebeek valley towards Potijze. To your right should be the French St Charles de Potize Cemetery. Strange how well those d*mn windmills stand out!

All the best, and thanks for the challenge!

Richard

52 minutes ago, Old Forge said:

Hi Pete, I'd say you're at the eastern tip of Railway Wood, looking down the Bellewaardebeek valley towards Potijze. To your right should be the French St Charles de Potize Cemetery. Strange how well those d*mn windmills stand out!

All the best, and thanks for the challenge!

Richard

Absolutely correct in every respect Richard. Believe it or not that is the version of the photo which has the exposure corrected if you use the word corrected in its loosest sense. The road that runs across the photo follows the track of the Ypres to Roulers line and this area would have been pockmarked with mine craters from 1916 onward. When I was examining the photo to see if the cemetery is visible I noticed the low but recognisable rise on the other side of the valley, I'd thought it was flat all the way out to Boesinge.

Pete.

@dickaren

@Michelle Young

no to both... 

Othe clue: the place is linked to a battle. Don't forget: we were in essex farm the same day and we were on foot! 

M.

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

we were in essex farm the same day and we were on foot

But you and the troops can do lots of km in a day. Any chance of a compass bearing?

Pete.

On 16/05/2021 at 03:22, Fattyowls said:

But you and the troops can do lots of km in a day. Any chance of a compass bearing?

Pete.

Here somewhere...

Screenshot_20210515-214753_Strava.jpg.8015e63a6669f0e4edaa648d6179df55.jpg

YES!! 

Battle of Solferino >> creation of the ICRC... 

I just liked the epitaph... 

Will go through my pics of the last day... have another one for you! 

M.

Well known sights on the battlefields... 

Where's this??? 

2025498098_DSC05646small.jpg.dfd10a7bae785421fd382fff85119c8a.jpg

Clue: there's quite some dangerous projectiles flying around there still... 

M.

• Admin

Oak Dump, the dangerous projectiles being golf balls these days. 

6 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Oak Dump, the dangerous projectiles being golf balls these days. 

Cool question and excellent answer Marilyne and Michelle. I seem to remember that one of the water features on the course was very portentiously described as one of the Messines operation mines by someone like Feargal Keane on an aerial shot in some earnest centenary documentary. Now I come to look at the CWGC site there is a crater on the Bluff so it might be a vestige of other mining activity, but my money would be on 'say it's a mine crater, nobody will know the difference'. I need to explore that area on foot one day soon.

Pete