Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

• Admin

The architect is my favourite CWGC architect. There’s a literary connection in here, the son of an (in) famous father 

• Admin

No takers? 

I have been trying to remember if you've ever mentioned your favourite IWGC architect, but I can't bring a name to mind. As for the literary connection I keep thinking of Kim Philby or one of the spies of 50's whose father is buried at Ypres. Or I could have got that completely wrong; either way it's the wrong combination of father and son and not notably literary. It's not the last resting place of Oscar Wilde's son possibly? That's just come to me and I'm now going to have to remember what surname he used, as I don't think it was Wilde.

Pete.

• Admin

You are certainly getting warm Pete

Just now, Michelle Young said:

You are certainly getting warm Pete

That's rather useful Michelle since after a beautiful sunny autumn day it's getting a bit parky out here on the coast, but as we all know it's grim up north. As they say in the movies "I'll be back".

Pete.

The offending bit of cable runs along the Rue des Charbonniers (Coalmen's St) and the cemetery is St Vaast Post in Richebourg L'Avoue. The literary connection is the grave of Captain Cyril Holland, eldest son of Oscar Wilde. Is the legendary Richebourg boulangerie anywhere close by the way?

Pete.

• Admin

Correct Pete, and the architect is Charles Holden. The Boulangerie isn’t far. A splendid Chambre d’Hotes, La Niche, is also quite close. 

A7F72261-F237-43F3-8D66-1C0DF68D2C90.jpeg

4FE1A917-AD2D-4C8D-8CCF-1FFDE5D8B474.jpeg

32DA7FC3-99E2-49CD-8CE5-926A83D5D8AF.jpeg

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

The Boulangerie isn’t far. A splendid Chambre d’Hotes, La Niche, is also quite close.

I've just spent a happy half hour planning a walking tour based there. Givenchy and Festubert, Egbert's grandad at Merville, Neuve Chapelle and along the Aubers ridge, up to Bois Grenier and Erquinghem-Lys. If I can get a bus I'd also like to do the front lines through Houplines and Frelinghein and on to Ploegsteert and the Messines ridge. I'd suggest it to Marilyne but I'd never keep up. That said she's now senior enough to call in helicopter support in extremis. I could be airlifted to Ieper for emergency fresh waffles.....

Pete.

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Charles Holden

I should also have remembered your fondness for Holden; I took one look at his tube stations and it came flooding back. I can't remember the context but I do remember the work. Not bad for a lad from Bolton.

Pete.

17 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

That said she's now senior enough to call in helicopter support in extremis. I could be airlifted to Ieper for emergency fresh waffles....

The helicopter might be a tad difficult... budget cuts and all... 

But the emergency waffles can be gotten by the Tank 2.0 ! 

M.

21 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

The offending bit of cable runs along the Rue des Charbonniers (Coalmen's St) and the cemetery is St Vaast Post in Richebourg L'Avoue. The literary connection is the grave of Captain Cyril Holland, eldest son of Oscar Wilde. Is the legendary Richebourg boulangerie anywhere close by the way?

Pete.

Good spot Pete,

How about another one from 1994

Scan_20211009.png

• Admin

Five Points cemetery at Lechelles, I was there on 1st October 

98028C8A-0821-408E-8776-93BAB2427257.jpeg

• Admin
19 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I should also have remembered your fondness for Holden; I took one look at his tube stations and it came flooding back. I can't remember the context but I do remember the work. Not bad for a lad from Bolton.

Pete.

I am fascinated by the almost brutal lines of his work. Very at odds with the English Churchyard style of some cemeteries. 

30 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Five Points cemetery at Lechelles, I was there on 1st October 

98028C8A-0821-408E-8776-93BAB2427257.jpeg

The trees have been kept under control!!

56 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

The trees have been kept under control!!

Spot on Michelle.

The trunks have thickened in 27 years and cameras have improved!

Richard

• Admin

Is Stormm at Gordon Dump? 

In an example of seeing what you want to see I suddenly recognise Bazentin-le-Petit in the background and have convinced myself that the tree where Frank Richards' windmill stood is visible. I've been past lots of times but never been down to Gordon Dump, it will be interesting if it isn't. If it is you are on a roll at the moment Michelle.

Pete.

Yes. Michelle.

Gordon Dump. slightly unusual as the name is on the sides of the gate posts near the hinges, not on the faces as normal 

5 hours ago, chaz said:

slightly unusual as the name is on the sides of the gate posts near the hinges

I did actually notice that, I must make an effort to detour over to the cemetery next time I am in the vicinity, and I could also visit Thistle Dump which not for the first time I've mixed Gordon Dump up with. The phrase If you don't know where you are going you are liable to end up somewhere else is apt here.

Good one Chaz.

Pete.

Pete

for you

wonder if the brickies laid it wrong,  or planned this way.

gordon dump 2.JPG

Edited by chaz

Chaz, you are a diamond geezer, a prince amongst men. I actually do want to go to Gordon Dump next time I'm over as there is a relative of an Aussie friend of a friend in there. I also don't know that area of the battlefield at all well and would like to rectify that oversight. What are the chances of me ending up at Lancashire Dump in Aveluy however? High I suspect.

Pete.

I'll wager it's not got Dump in its name but does have the words Communal and Extension. Beyond that I am unable to comment.......

27 minutes ago, chaz said:

Pete

for you

wonder if the brickies laid it wrong,  or planned this way.

gordon dump 2.JPG

Two plans of Gordon Dump, original and final. Does anyone know if it was constructed to the original and the entrance later moved to the present location when the stones with name and dates turned inwards?

Richard

Gordon Dump plan.png

Gordon Dump final plan.jpg