Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

19 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

A really clever one Michelle, and well spotted by Richard.

Pete.

It was the VC clue that gave it away along with the July 1st date.

Richard

• Admin

Something of a favourite walk from Fricourt NewMilitary cemetery, via Lochnagar and Ovillers then along that little road and into Thiepval via the back way.

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Something of a favourite walk from Fricourt NewMilitary cemetery, via Lochnagar and Ovillers then along that little road and into Thiepval via the back way.

I've done some of that the other way around and I know what you mean. The area between Ovillers and the Leipzig salient is almost otherworldly.

Pete.

In relation to this photo of a well known plateau would the team like to hazard guesses as to 1. the name of the village I've got my back to, 2 the name of the village in the trees to the centre (and it's size). 3. the identity of the three areas of trees on the horizon, 4. The make of the car. I think Michelle will get most of this in a flash......

Pete.

image.jpeg.c294f59d4f7573c97b48817af3bb0c39.jpeg

• Admin

Stood with back to Montauban, looking at Bazentin le Petit. Woods being Mametz, Bazentin and Delville I think. Car is. vow Beetle? 

57 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Stood with back to Montauban, looking at Bazentin le Petit. Woods being Mametz, Bazentin and Delville I think. Car is. vow Beetle? 

Correct except for the village which in turn changes the sequence from right to left to left to right And if you get that you will be able to tell me the name of the farm........

Pete

• Admin

A nice piece of iron work. BCE3DC1E-1453-4F38-99F9-A74EA467B74A.jpeg.d24b7b2ff0eefe8037e319cb8d2f2c50.jpegWhere is it and why is it different? Bonus point  for some extra information you may wish to provide. 

While I ponder the somehow familiar and rather ornate ironwork in Michelle's close up I should perhaps add a clue for the view across the plateau towards Bazentin-le-Petit; think of a line from 'A Shropshire Lad'.

Pete.

On 28/05/2021 at 22:02, Michelle Young said:

A nice piece of iron work. Where is it and why is it different? Bonus point  for some extra information you may wish to provide. 

BCE3DC1E-1453-4F38-99F9-A74EA467B74A.jpeg

A cemetery or entry to a memorial which is different than those we know about... but apart from that, I have no clue... 

M.

• Admin

There is a literary connection to the gate. 

On 01/06/2021 at 12:55, Michelle Young said:

There is a literary connection to the gate. 

I've started looking at the last resting places of war poets, starting with Owen at Ors and Thomas at Agny but it's neither of those as far as I can see. Am I barking up the wrong piece of decorative iron work?

As for the view across to the Bazentins there is a cultural connection there too; and you had a beer within metres of the viewpoint about 72 hours after the photograph was taken......

Pete.

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I've started looking at the last resting places of war poets, starting with Owen at Ors and Thomas at Agny but it's neither of those as far as I can see.

Nor is it John McCrae, Jack Kipling or Julian Grenfell. Bit of a head-scratcher all round...

6 minutes ago, Old Forge said:

Nor is it John McCrae, Jack Kipling or Julian Grenfell. Bit of a head-scratcher all round...

I checked Artillery Wood for Ledwidge and Ellis Evans but I don't think it's there either. We may have to go for cooperative team headscratching.........

Pete.

• Admin

Non Great War literary also notorious due to political leanings and friendships 

To help with the identification of my last one, this is the photo I took immediately before.....

image.jpeg.e52e13a750ebb568d7e69c1e83874ad7.jpeg

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Non Great War literary also notorious due to political leanings and friendships 

Are we talking about the name of a cemetery or memorial? I haven't got a clue but it is very intriguing........

• Admin

Not the cemetery, it's the ironwork, but the cemetery is where the person with the connection is buried.

3 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

To help with the identification of my last one

road between B-le-P and Pozieres looking toward Martinpuich by any chance Pete?

Very close Reg. The road you suggest has the VW Beetle on it and Pozieres is indeed the village. I was standing close to Butterworth Farm at the start of the track across the plateau to Martinpuich, hence the plaque with the quote from 'A Shropshire Lad'.  George Butterworth's body may still be within sight of the memorial, his memory certainly is.

Pete.

OK Pete, got the location now.  I was trying to get the angle on the various woods mentioned (and the lack of High Wood).  Been along that road many times but the view just didn't click with me.

Reg

• Admin

Think  a literary group of siblings for my photo, add in some political notoriety. 

29 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Think  a literary group of siblings for my photo, add in some political notoriety. 

Mitfords? Oswald Moseley maybe?

• Admin

Getting warm Pete. You have identified the family. So what's the connection to the ironwork gate?

On 07/06/2021 at 08:14, Michelle Young said:

Getting warm Pete

I sure am, should have worn shorts to walk down to the beach. I think I'm getting somewhere with the Mitfords, which will be wasted if it turns out to be the Moseleys......

Pete.