Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

Michelle and Richard (@Michelle Young@dickaren); back among the now 60 pages of fine photos are some of the Messines ridge which I'd like to use in something I'm putting together for families of men who fought in the area.

I think I've posted about Samuel Coulter who is buried in Spanbroekmolen, the one looking up to the church from the crater area showing the cemetery would be really useful Michelle.

Also there are a couple of yours Richard, one in particular taken from the ground above what was Stinking Farm which I'd like to use for the family of a man called Jack Corlett. He participated in the New Zealand attack on the village of Messines. and left a very good account of his experiences in a letter published in I think the Auckland Star. His brother Alfred had died in Egypt having been wounded at Anzac Cove.

My interest is because Sam Coulter's son Jack played for Everton and Northern Ireland after the war, and Alf Corlett played for the Everton AFC in Auckland. The Corletts were recent arrivals in New Zealand, having grown up in the Everton district on Merseyside.

Absolutely no problem if the answer is no in either case; I intend to go back and wander the area, keeping a lookout for low flying golf balls around Oak Dump of course (no pun intended).

Pete.

P.S. I think I've got something for the other side of the ridge, a mixture of snips from Google Earth and some photos from the two Bethleem Farm cemeteries on the ever reliable thebignote.com website should suffice.

26 minutes ago, Sapper D. said:

Nice panoramic of Oak Dump Sapper; did you take a low level photo for effect (or should that be fore effect) or where you keeping low to avoid sliced golf balls from off the tee?

Pete.

this was way too easy ... 

I need to be more cunning next time... 

M.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

Michelle and Richard (@Michelle Young@dickaren); back among the now 60 pages of fine photos are some of the Messines ridge which I'd like to use in something I'm putting together for families of men who fought in the area.

I think I've posted about Samuel Coulter who is buried in Spanbroekmolen, the one looking up to the church from the crater area showing the cemetery would be really useful Michelle.

Also there are a couple of yours Richard, one in particular taken from the ground above what was Stinking Farm which I'd like to use for the family of a man called Jack Corlett. He participated in the New Zealand attack on the village of Messines. and left a very good account of his experiences in a letter published in I think the Auckland Star. His brother Alfred had died in Egypt having been wounded at Anzac Cove.

My interest is because Sam Coulter's son Jack played for Everton and Northern Ireland after the war, and Alf Corlett played for the Everton AFC in Auckland. The Corletts were recent arrivals in New Zealand, having grown up in the Everton district on Merseyside.

Absolutely no problem if the answer is no in either case; I intend to go back and wander the area, keeping a lookout for low flying golf balls around Oak Dump of course (no pun intended).

Pete.

P.S. I think I've got something for the other side of the ridge, a mixture of snips from Google Earth and some photos from the two Bethleem Farm cemeteries on the ever reliable thebignote.com website should suffice.

Pete,

No problem using the photo's.

Richard

• Admin

Please use the photo Pete. 

In reply to Fattyowls:

It actually wasn't that busy on the golf course, the gardeners were more active than the players!

Panaroma sweep on my trusty Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX60V.

That day (8-9-'20) was perfect: good weather, no rain/wind, not very busy, decent bicyles, lovely al fresco lunch at Canadian Farm, our first (!!) visit to Essex Farm (I've never liked crowds, you see) and yet again, even after all these years, a part of the Salient which was partially new to us.

I love that place (Salient). We stayed in a house on the Kanonstraat 18 in Ieper (how blinking cool is that?) and this time we paid special attention to surroundings of the Plugstreet. Those 3 cemetaries in the woods are something else, my favourite being Rifle House. 

36 minutes ago, Sapper D. said:

Those 3 cemetaries in the woods are something else, my favourite being Rifle House.

I know exactly what you mean, I was there on a beautiful Sunday afternoon in April six years ago. The brother of one of my footballers is in Ploegsteert Wood cemetery which makes it my favourite.

Pete.

On 13/05/2021 at 19:34, Marilyne said:

in ten years I'll have apolar bear on my pack

Possibly sooner if he drinks that much beer on a regular basis. He may be a beer bear but I will always think of him as my chum, even when he has gone white. But then again so have I....

Pete.

2 hours ago, dickaren said:

Pete,

No problem using the photo's.

Richard

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Please use the photo Pete. 

Much appreciated. I'm sure the families will be impressed, at least until they see my photographic contributions. Being a bad person I would be tempted to pass yours off as my own but I'd never get away with it.

Pete.

• Admin

A photo from 2009. Where was I and what date? 

IMG_0083.JPG.d31112cad6bca6c2ddb7782acb2fcbbe.JPG

15 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

IMG_0083.JPG

Michelle - did you not tell them it had ended 90 years previously and they could go home?  ;)

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Would that be the boy Gillingham and his merry men? You've previously posted a very fetching photo of them at Mansel Copse so could this be 1st July 2009 in that area?

Pete.

• Admin

Correct with the who is it. Correct day but I think the Mansel Copse photo was a few years earlier. So July 1st 2009. But where 

Would the boys be trying to recreate the famous photo of the Tyneside Irish advancing over the brow of Tara hill towards La Boiselle?

• Admin

No, they may well have done on that visit but not in this photo. 

18 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

but not in this photo

I wondered if it might be something to do with messrs Barton, Banning and Pollard's search for the Livens projector just over the hill from Mansel Copse but that was in 2010 apparently. Given that the Somme is not short of narrow roads with grass growing in the middle could we trouble you for a clue or two?

Pete.

• Admin

We were on our way to pay our respects to a family member, the chums had maybe been visiting a VC recipient.

23 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

IMG_0083.JPG

OMG! please don't do that...it reminds me too much of Battle Camp, Catterick 1978...

On 23/05/2021 at 17:46, Michelle Young said:

IMG_0083.JPG

Is it the Ovillers to Authille Road?

Richard

• Admin

I was walking that small road from Ovillers ( past the barking dogs) and was approaching the track that runs through the Leipzig to Thiepval ( before those rusty poles with photos hung off them appeared) well done. 

I was just going to suggest that, no really, honest, no word of a lie. So would Taff and the band of brothers be coming up from Lonsdale cemetery? I can't identify a VC in there as yet however.

Pete.

Lets try James Turnbull VC.

• Admin

Yes at Lonsdale. We were off to pay our respects to Albert Allen at Thiepval. 

A really clever one Michelle, and well spotted by Richard.

Pete.