Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

And yes there is quite a bit of family history in the area for me😁

I knew someone had connections; it's a favourite location of mine too. It's only when I checked that I realised just how big the Red Dragon crater was, it would stretch right across the view.

If I was feeling particularly churlish I'd say it was closer to north east thanks to the helpful compass bearings etched into the base, and the other name I had in mind was John Norton-Griffiths who is quoted. I can't see Issac Evans on my photo but that doesn't mean it's not there; you still win the banana.

Pete.

P.S. Does the yellow route departmental sign qualify as an entry for the Knotty obtrusive street furniture in a significant WW1 view award? I'd never noticed it before.......

1406744950_TunnellersMemorialatGivenchy.JPG.623bf8ddd394980eaffe661198981b1f.JPG

• Admin

Taken through the T

IMG_2089.JPG

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

Issac Evans

I thought that was who you were referring to as 3rd name

Hackett was illiterate and I believe that Evans who also a member of the 254TC, used to read and write letters for him, he definitely wrote to his wife after his demise, he was unfortunately killed 13/3/18.

With regards to the direction, I said before and I will say again, as an old surveyor I’m convinced that the base etching is out, but I won’t dwell on it😁

46 minutes ago, Knotty said:

as an old surveyor

I can see what you mean when I had a zoom in on Google Earth. I will take my trusty compass and photograph it at the memorial next time I'm there. It's number 12,743 on the list of things I'm going to do when I can get back to the battlefields......

Now as to Kirky's speling mistoke I think that unless you've been there and spotted it you will struggle to work it out without a plethora of clues. I'm really looking forward to the answer as it is now number 12,744 on the list of things I'm going to do when I can get back to the battlefields.......

Pete/

38 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I can see what you mean when I had a zoom in on Google Earth. I will take my trusty compass and photograph it at the memorial next time I'm there. It's number 12,743 on the list of things I'm going to do when I can get back to the battlefields......

Now as to Kirky's speling mistoke I think that unless you've been there and spotted it you will struggle to work it out without a plethora of clues. I'm really looking forward to the answer as it is now number 12,744 on the list of things I'm going to do when I can get back to the battlefields.......

Pete/

First clue : Somewhere on Somme.

• Admin

Caterpillar Valley, Serre 1 or 2 and Guillemont  Road are contenders thinking about the architecture? 

4 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Red Dragon crater

where Captain Kirk (no, not of the Enterprise but the 1/6 Cheshires) won his MC in July 1916,  KiA 13.11.1916 at St. Pierre Divion.  Took a while to pin where you were using Google Earth (I'd picked up the road sign and mast).  I'm not an expert on Givenchy despite my West Lancs connections but at least a bit better than our French neighbour who only knew the perfume!

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Hi,

I think it's Bronfay Farm cemetry. 

Am I right ?

Sly

Too sharp for me, yes Sly you are right!!

Hope you are well.

Tony

• Admin

A nice easy one, what two structures am I looking at 

IMG_2013.JPGx

Too sharp for me, yes Sly you are right!!

Hope you are well.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes I am going well

Hope to see you and your friend next time (when?) you come to the Somme.

Sly

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

A nice easy one, what two structures am I looking at 

IMG_2013.JPGx

I think even I actually know this one! That's a first despite being an avid watcher of this thread.

So, I think it is Havrincourt Chateau and the 62nd (Second West Riding) Division Memorial?

If so and I'm not making a fool of myself then this disturbingly peaceful scene was where too many men of the 2/4th KOYLI (Wakefield Territorials) met their end on the 20th November 1917 (43 Privates, 5 Lance Corporals, 4 Sergeants, 1 Company Sergeant Major and a Second Lieutenant - Nearly all are in Hermies Hill British Cemetery).

P

• Admin

Yes indeed Mr PB 

On 27/03/2021 at 14:46, dickaren said:

Which Somme cemetery am I in and which one is in the background. Photo from June 2007.

France June 2007 012.jpg

No guesses?

West of the A1 motorway and both were started in September 1918 and used by 3rd, 4th, 43rd and 58th CCS

Richard

• Admin

You're at Thilloy Rd Cemetery I think, looking at Beaulencourt? You had me confused with the Somme cemetery bit, they're both Pas de Calais. 

16 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

You're at Thilloy Rd Cemetery I think, looking at Beaulencourt? 

Correct Michelle, well done. Not easy to spot through an early morning mist.

Richard

Hope you don't mind a newcomer posing a question. This might be a bit easy, but where am I standing and what am I looking at?

Richard

IMG_6669 - Copy.JPG

3 hours ago, dickaren said:

No guesses?

Apologies for not following this one up Richard; I had several guesses but they were all laughably wrong mostly involving the northern end of the 1916 front line along the Redan Ridge. It's a nice atmospheric photo.

On 26/03/2021 at 20:15, Polar Bear said:

I'm not making a fool of myself

Not at all PB, that's my job on this thread. A very good spot and a nice bit of background. I don't think I've ever really stopped to take in that area, so that becomes no. 12,745 on my to see list....

2 hours ago, Old Forge said:

Hope you don't mind a newcomer posing a question

Not at all; good to have you on board Mr F. I feel I should know where that is for some reason, but I've had that feeling before and been out by hundreds of miles......

Pete.

• Admin

Given your interest, are you near Beselare? I'm hopeless around the Salient though, so probably miles out. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

so probably miles out

I'm trying to convince myself it's the Broodseinde ridge looking over towards Polygon Wood but not really making a very good job of it. I think the motto of this thread should be "If you don't know where your going you are liable to end up somewhere else".

Pete.

Is it taken from the observatory tower of the church in Zonnebeke ?

Edited by Knotty

20 hours ago, Fattyowls said:
On 30/03/2021 at 16:46, dickaren said:

No guesses?

Apologies for not following this one up Richard; I had several guesses but they were all laughably wrong mostly involving the northern end of the 1916 front line along the Redan Ridge. It's a nice atmospheric photo.

Pete, not the easiest one to spot especially in the mist. Two not often visited cemeteries.

Richard

4 hours ago, Knotty said:

Is it taken from the observatory tower of the church in Zonnebeke ?

Spot on, Knotty! You can see the pointy northern end of Polygon (straggly conifers) and the more solid bulk of Reutelbois beyond it. Unfortunately it had rained shortly before I climbed the tower, the windows were filthy and running with rain water, but it's still a fantastic panorama.

Richard

Hi Richard

To be honest is was a bit of an educated guess, a bit like you, every time (twice) I have been up, the heavens have opened up and it was a bit of a memory thing rather than an actual photo of the panorama I have taken.

John