Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

Point taken. 

I don't have access to the census, so thank you for your clarifications!!! 

M.

Just to give my where is this bit of road a little boost the stretch further back has already featured recently.......

Pete.

Hi @Fattyowls, I've been trying to make it the Menin Road for some time (with a diversion to Arras after your clue about the road less travelled, which had me looking at Edward Thomas, KIA 09/04/17). I must admit I've struggled to find a match, although it does look like the stretch around the famous 'crossroads east of Gheluvelt', which fell during the Battle of Gheluvelt 29-31st October 1914. I'll take another look this evening!

Cheers,

Richard

Don't waste any more time looking Richard; you have got it in one. This is the Menin Road, but the less famous or infamous bit. The village of Geluveld is behind me with the trees that mark the boundary of the chateau grounds over my left shoulder. It was somewhere around here that the British troops stopped their advance on Menen and dug in in October 1914. I have a picture in my mind of a troop of cavalry galloping back up the road to report hordes of German troops coming the other way. The BEF would not reach this point for another four years.

Pete.

Thanks Pete, I'm glad I wasn't too far out!

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by John's latest posting of Somme woodland bluebells I was wondering if anyone can identify this location. I thought these were rudbekia but I'm not sure they are, if anyone knows what they are it would be a bonus.......

Pete.

image.jpeg.c0e88762df3e558e2e560eba3c7501bb.jpeg

According to SWMBO,the resident gardener at Knotty towers, it looks like a Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus,) a smaller member of the Sunflower family with the edible root.

5 minutes ago, Knotty said:

the resident gardener at Knotty towers

I think the head gardener is on to something, I had a feeling it was a helio something or other. Will you thank Mrs K for me?

20 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Will you thank Mrs K for me?

Have done Pete, and was met with ”umm……fancy growing some of those”, now see what it’s started😁

3 hours ago, Knotty said:

Have done Pete, and was met with ”umm……fancy growing some of those”, now see what it’s started😁

Presumably not as bad as the other artichokes that SWMBO grows in our garden.  Actually, our variation of its name begins with an F because of the impact of eating them.  :D

2 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Presumably not as bad as the other artichokes that SWMBO grows in our garden.  Actually, our variation of its name begins with an F because of the impact of eating them.  :D

I know what you mean😁👍

4 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Actually, our variation of its name begins with an F because of the impact of eating them. 

Important to have got that into the public domain for dietary reasons, but does anyone know what's behind the stand of could be artichokes and the trees beyond?

Pete.

• Admin

Spot on I'd say. 

49 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

The Thiepval Memorial?? 

33 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Spot on I'd say. 

Absolutely correct. If I remember correctly these flowers were beside the path which runs from the visitor centre round to the memorial. When you peer through the foliage you can see the lawn in front of the memorial.

Pete.

Hi guys, we were on the Coast Walk yesterday, little walk from Oostende to Knokke... and were lucky enough to pass the memorials to the Zeebrugge and Oostende raids ... though you'd like some Belgian air ... 

DSC05375.JPG.1ea4bde951d7e06128a635ccf3dd6e50.JPG

DSC05394.JPG.d33c563a211adb9ae08b81bb4b84e565.JPG

DSC05396.JPG.94229b4417bf4dbadc196c77aab1062c.JPG

When I joined this forum some years ago I remember a man with ill health asking people to keep posting photos as he was unable to make visits and he loved to see pictures of places he’d read about.........we’re not all in the same position as that gentleman but I can understand exactly what he meant having not been across the channel for about 3 years !!! This thread has given me an insight into places I haven’t been but definitely should go to if I get the chance and I’m grateful for that......particularly the aisne.........so I think what I’m saying is ....keep the photos coming 👍

On 09/05/2021 at 15:36, gilbo139 said:

keep the photos coming

I've been trawling my photos for some new ones; I'm down to the serious photographic outrages. What I may have to do is to find the thread from way back about kit to transfer 35mm film to digital media and see if the advice still holds good. There are lots of rubbish snaps lurking in boxes here at Owls Towers........

Pete.

Well we're on the way, walking, visiting ... but getting back into Wipers the rain became a bit too much, do we had to get into a bar... 

20210513_125850.jpg.2bac5100e6cdccb57c36f986c6eebb83.jpg

Is it my imagination or is bear looking a bit like a bear with a sore head?

Pete.

P.S. Any waffles news? Not that I am obsessed you understand........

Right, I present this crime against proper photographic exposure for consideration. Where am I stood, what is the name of the wood a small portion of which is visible on the left edge and which cemetery is off to the right behind the trees?

Pete.

833563150_IMG_1831-Copy.JPG.05f28dafc03cbb85a7aca32fc0f81d12.JPG

1 hour ago, Frajohn said:

Something a tad different, where would you find this?P.jpg.ed1f554da24e7b721fff68093f763ef4.jpg

Amiens Cathedral? I believe this tablet was first installed in Amiens but replicas were erected in about twenty other cathedrals and churches in France and a few in Belgium. There si a similar one in Westminster Abbey.

Richard

1 hour ago, dickaren said:

Amiens Cathedral?

That was my first reaction (honest). I haven't been in the cathedral for decades but I do remember a plaque, although for some reason the number of dead that sticks in my mind was 738,000. Bound to be very much mistaken I fear.

Pete.

Hi

Not Amiens Cathedral, which I believe, without checking is slightly different. 

John