Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

• Admin

The Aisne is a beautiful region, well worth exploring, I find myself less drawn to the Somme and Salient these days, preferring to visit lesser visited areas, and only visiting the Somme and Salient for a day trip, if at all. I first discovered it on my way to Verdun in 1989. It was my fathers favourite area, and the photo was taken on the last trip he took to the region in June 2015. 

Still no takers for the view? 

I've driven through the region often, but inexcusably never lingered. It really is fascinating countryside, looking at it on the satellite images the repeating spurs are so clearly etched into the landscape.

2 hours ago, horrocks said:

I've driven through the region often, but inexcusably never lingered. It really is fascinating countryside, looking at it on the satellite images the repeating spurs are so clearly etched into the landscape.

When I was trying (and failing) to answer Michelle's question about what used to be there but isn't now I noticed a half decent looking restaurant on the road up to the ridge; history and food, two of my all time favourite things of all time.......

18 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

No motorbike that time Pete. It’s what used to be there but isn’t now is the answer.......

Is it Troyon?

• Admin

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

When I was trying (and failing) to answer Michelle's question about what used to be there but isn't now I noticed a half decent looking restaurant on the road up to the ridge; history and food, two of my all time favourite things of all time.......

Do you mean the place in Bourg et Comin Pete? 

• Admin
17 minutes ago, dickaren said:

Is it Troyon?

Indeed 

Of course, la ferme de Troyon. I was looking the wrong way as usual, and it's not even my photo. The restaurant came up on the CWGC map for Vendresse; it's called La Grange de Troyon and it's within walking distance of the cemetery, up the hill a short distance and up a right fork in the D967. It must be close to or on the site of the farm (or hamlet) I would guess.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

Being a lazy and indolent neredowell I can't be bothered to look back through the forum to see how many views the thread has had so I'm going to post the following photo of a substance that is two hydrogen atoms to one oxygen. That way the number will pop up when I next log in. Your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to identify where it is.

913482315_WaterlevelApril.JPG.b5e22ac5f4ab7bc26cc8d1332bf86912.JPG

• Admin

Spanbroekmolen?

If I lift the camera this is the view; lovely now but not somewhere you would want to stand around 3.10 am on 7th June 1917. Michelle wins the virtual non-tobacco related prize, and before you ask the water wasn't sloping, the cameraman was.

379964342_PeacePoolPanoramic.thumb.JPG.5e5bf7a3fb4a35fc282404f30e2f6194.JPG

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

...before you ask the water wasn't sloping, the cameraman was...

You lose a little bit, but:

379964342_PeacePoolPanoramic.thumb.JPG.5e5bf7a3fb4a35fc282404f30e2f6194.jpg

Edited by Andrew Upton

It's black magic I tell you, how did you do that? There may be hope for all my sloping Messines mine crater photos yet.

Thanks Andrew, that looks much better. I don't find myself leaning to one side while looking at it.

Pete.

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

It's black magic I tell you, how did you do that? There may be hope for all my sloping Messines mine crater photos yet.

Just one of the basic picture editing tools I have on my computer - very useful for getting misaligned scans of text back on the straight and narrow...

4 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

Just one of the basic picture editing tools I have on my computer

As Peter Kay said of garlic bread (garlic? - bread?) - it's the future.

7 hours ago, frev said:

Where am I standing?

I looked at the photo and initially thought you were at the bottom of a staircase with a trap door at the top. Then scrolled down a bit and saw your feet; Oh duh!

Not a good start to my quest; I think I'll go and make another cup of coffee, looks like I'll need it.

Pete.

• Admin

Where is this 

E67DADA1-DCFB-4B05-BE20-F68E283B69B9.jpeg

15 hours ago, frev said:

Where am I standing?

635386674_WFTour278-steepstairs-Copy.jpg.1e73a26f301f25c7bd7cc4684dee7001.jpg

Talbot House, the staircase to the chapel, you are looking down it.

Mandy

• Admin

No takers for my mystery stone of remembrance? It's a cemetery that contains burials from both wars, and was started by a casualty clearing station. 

I was just about to post a suggestion that it isn't the Lys valley given the slopes, and the clue of burials from both wars makes me wonder about the Arras area, or around Ypres. That probably narrows it down, assuming I'm correct. The British and Canadians crossed the Somme really quickly in 1944 so I wonder if that can be ruled out.

Of course we may be able to rearrange the words tree, barking, up, the and wrong to make a well known phrase or sentence.......

Pete.