Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

• Admin

On Messines ridge? 

5 hours ago, stripeyman said:

Are you at the edge of the Spanbroekemolen crater ?

No but you are close. You can see the viewpoint from the south side of the crater. Now I come to think of it you should be able to see the spires from Spanbroekmolen, you can see everything else. I've been there several times but never noticed, unless they are behind the trees around the Lone Tree cemetery.

3 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

On Messines ridge? 

Yes. I'm on the footpath between two memorials..........

Edit: Sorry I should have said I'm on the footpath between two memorials, mademoiselle. An unforgivable breach of etiquete etikete etuquet the rules of polite society....

Edited by Fattyowls

2 hours ago, dickaren said:

Are you between the NZ memorial and Irish Tower looking towards Armentieres?

Perfect answer. The Hotel de Ville is the lower one if I remember correctly; if Google Earth is to be believed it's just over 5 miles which surprised me for some reason.

Pete.

P.S. What's the situation with the prize cigar? Isn't it time we composted it?

21 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Perfect answer. The Hotel de Ville is the lower one if I remember correctly; if Google Earth is to be believed it's just over 5 miles which surprised me for some reason.

Pete.

P.S. What's the situation with the prize cigar? Isn't it time we composted it?

I didn't realise you are able to see as far as Armentieres from Messines. As for the cigar it is getting a bit soggy.

I've just noticed this on a structure I should be familiar with; it's very like how @frev's  previous posting looks, with the chert having the occasional red brick and limestone inserts. Anyone know where it is?

Pete.

image.png.33994c04ce8396e3fa4cf4ddbd81a979.png

3 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I've just noticed this on a structure I should be familiar with; it's very like how @frev's  previous posting looks, with the chert having the occasional red brick and limestone inserts. Anyone know where it is?

Pete.

image.png.33994c04ce8396e3fa4cf4ddbd81a979.png

Yep - agree with gilbo - and I recently discovered (prompted by a comment by Michelle) that the main architect for both was Sir Herbert Baker.

1300265887_WFTour217-Copy.jpg.548ea8cd79bcf0f151eb7829df0023c4.jpg

Absolutely correct chums. When I was cropping the photo (which is one of Marilyne's) I thought should I just do the stone and be really mean or keep a bit of the arch. Clearly I was too generous, so no more Mr Nice Guy from now on, I'm going to post pictures of individual bits of stone.....

What is interesting to me is the Baker angle; was the chert with inlays a signature of his or did anyone else use the motif? What made me think of it initially was that the chert nodules are usually found in limestone and chalk (where they tend to be classified as flint) which I don't associate with the clays of the Ieper area. I wonder if the materials for the walls had to be brought from some distance.

Pete.

• Admin

More flint. Where is this. 

IMG_1945.JPG

24 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

More flint.

I'd just like to point out that I haven't got a flint or indeed a chert problem. I can stop anytime I want.

That's an interesting one, because of the corn you have no sense of the landscape, not that it has ever helped me with any of the others. I remember being on the Somme during my unconventionally comedic one and only attempt at being a battlefield guide. We were approaching a bend in the road and I had done a big build up of the view over the battlefield from round the corner. When we got there all we could see was an 8 foot wall of corn. Oh how we laughed.......

Pete.

P.S. The arrangements of the headstones are intriguing, almost like one side of a shell hole burial like at Beaumont-Hamel. I'm looking forward to someone other than me identifying it.

Edited by Fattyowls
grammatical outrage

• Admin

Indeed it is, soggy cigar to you Richard. A favourite spot of mine. I like wandering around that area. 

37 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Indeed it is, soggy cigar to you Richard.

The hygiene issues raised by passing around an increasingly damp item of rolled tobacco would be bad enough in normal times but these are far from normal times. I think the best thing for the thread's carbon footprint would be deposition in the nearest compost heap.

39 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

A favourite spot of mine. I like wandering around

I would really like to wander around there too. I wonder if one of mine, James Roy is just across the elephant eye high corn in Heninel-Croisilles Road. He was killed in or around Tunnel trench and may be an unknown in there. As might another rather more famous footballer......

Pete.

4 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

because of the corn you have no sense of the landscape

More landscape courtesy of CWGC - damned windmills:

CUCKOO PASSAGE CEMETERY, HENINEL - CWGC

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Indeed it is, soggy cigar to you Richard. A favourite spot of mine. I like wandering around tat area. 

I agree, a nice circular walk from Heninel taking in the Commumal Extension, Cherisy Road East, Bootham, Rookery, Cuckoo Passage, and Heninel-Croisilles Road and back to Heninel on a nice sunny day is one of my favourites. Can only dream of doing it at present but here's to the future (had my first jab today).

4 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

More landscape courtesy of CWGC - damned windmills:

It's not a bad one that; but I'd back the forum's photographers in general and Michelle in particular against the Commissions snappers. There are some outstanding photos on here; if I ever meet whoever thought to start the thread I'm going to shake his (or her) hand. I think those windmills are the ones over by Heninel-Croisilles Road, although I could be wrong, I thought there were three. They may well have put some more up, or there's one behind the cross.

3 hours ago, dickaren said:

Can only dream of doing it at present but here's to the future (had my first jab today).

You and me both Richard. Any reaction to the jab? I'd recycle the gags about the comedy side effects but it wouldn't be big and it wouldn't be clever, and I'd feel duty bound to pay Michelle royalties.....

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

16 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I'd just like to point out that I haven't got a flint or indeed a chert problem. I can stop anytime I want.

Feeding Pete's 'habit' - even though he's in denial!

529907239_WFTour870-Copy.jpg.9128bd0994dfa92a62e2212cd191a5a0.jpg

The cigar here (new one) is not for identifying the cemetery, that's too easy. You need to say what is different about the cemetery and why it might destroy Pete's FFF (fetish for flint)

DSC00810.JPG.cf13c82966b08fc438e04e1563739610.JPG

Edited by Frajohn

28 minutes ago, Frajohn said:

(fetish for flint)

Or indeed CCC (craving for chert). As for it being too easy I beg to differ, I'm going to have to wait for the grown ups on this one.

Pete.

P.S. As a socially responsible WW1 photographic thread should we really be encouraging smoking? Especially as one of the main contributors is a healthcare professional?

1 hour ago, battle of loos said:

it's Zivy Crater on the road to Neuville St Vaast to Thélus.

Looks correct to me, trés bien, Michel. Hope all is well in Loos.

Pete

38 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Or indeed CCC (craving for chert). As for it being too easy I beg to differ, I'm going to have to wait for the grown ups on this one.

Pete.

P.S. As a socially responsible WW1 photographic thread should we really be encouraging smoking? Especially as one of the main contributors is a healthcare professional?

Hi Pete

The reason I said too easy is that it is possible? to read a few names on the headstones.

OK. no cigar, maybe a coconut!

John

6 minutes ago, Frajohn said:

The reason I said too easy is that it is possible? to read a few names on the headstones.

Now that has presented me with a moral dilemma......