Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

This should be easy peasy, but where is this act of road safety foolhardiness taking place? Just to make it a bit more of a challenge can the team tell me what is the building to my immediate right and what is to my left? For the bonus point what famous place is encountered if you keep right on to the end of the road?

79176297_DowntheMeninRoad.JPG.cbec915cbc4db789114f5cee494aaf8b.JPG

League one?

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

League one?

Good one NF; the dark humour for which brummies in general and Blues fans in particular exhibit has been making me chortle for decades. As my Villa supporting best mate texted me last evening, it's the hope that gets you, not the despair....

Pete.

That's very true Pete. 

Even I got that one, I met Major Holt in that lay by some years ago and he signed my Ypres guide book......my only claim to fame!!!

25 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

Even I got that one, I met Major Holt in that lay by some years ago and he signed my Ypres guide book......my only claim to fame!!!

By coincidence one of the vehicles in the picture belongs to another author and battlefield guide; I have three of his books, two signed, one not. He has even contributed to this thread if memory serves. If anyone can work out who they will be crowned top banana.

Pete.

P.S. I am sure you have other claims to fame Gilbo, I think you are hiding your light under a bushel. Which begs the question if you hide a light under a bushel isn't there the prospect of the bushel going on fire? Or is that health and safety gone mad?

You should be ok if it did catch fire because I spent 32 years extinguishing them ... Paul Reed possibly?

Edited by gilbo139

1 minute ago, gilbo139 said:

You should be ok if it did catch fire because I spent 32 years extinguishing them ... Paul Reed possibly?

That's very reassuring. And not the boy Reed as it happens.

You picture has the Metadata down the Menin Rd so gave it away, I did recognise it, My Guess is Nigel Cave! 

Edited by 303man

1 hour ago, 303man said:

You picture has the Metadata down the Menin Rd so gave it away, I did recognise it, My Guess is Nigel Cave!

I keep forgetting to hide that but as you say, it's so easy that it probably isn't an issue on this one. It's not Nigel, but I once had him pointed out from a minibus pulling away from the Indian Memorial at Neuve Chapelle. It's not in the league of Lloyd George knowing one's father of course, or meeting the major on the Menin Road for that matter.

The questions what's on my left, my right and at the bottom of the road are a bit more of a challenge, but only a bit for the expertise we have available.

Pete.

• Admin

My guess is Hooge Crater cemetery, the museum and Ieper? 

15 minutes ago, 303man said:

The very pretty Aveluy Wood Cemetery

correct, fairly easy but on a miserable day down in the dip with shotguns around its spooky

27 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

My guess is Hooge Crater cemetery, the museum and Ieper? 

Correct; however what is between me and the town just down the road?

Pete.

58 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

Menin Gate ?

Before you get there, warfare's most famous roundabout and former level crossing.

Hellfire corner?

• Admin
27 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Before you get there, warfare's most famous roundabout and former level crossing.

As it was in 1985 

6D248B8E-03EC-41F7-AB5C-4106D8D416E5.jpeg

Quite correct NF; I think my first visit was when it still looked as in Michelle's photo, but I could be wrong. Posting the Menin Road got me to thinking of any other famous or infamous named roads; there's the Chemin de Dames and the Voie Sacreé but apart from Mill Road at Thiepval and maybe the Damstrasse I can't think of any others. Which probably means there are hundreds, I just haven't been paying attention....

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

On 19/03/2021 at 22:08, Fattyowls said:

I think I may have seen one with the soles of your feet included. It's one of the reasons that I think you and Marilyne have so much in common, and would get on really well if you met. Le Trou Aid Post is all I will say at this moment.......

Pete

Aaaah...forgot about that one - but then of course I never actually took that photo (not quite that agile) - so my hopeless memory is not all to blame!

10 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

As it was in 1985 

6D248B8E-03EC-41F7-AB5C-4106D8D416E5.jpeg

very reminiscent of many villages we still drive through today.

Edited by chaz

A snippet of a photo for team consideration. I'd like to know the following:

Where am I? What direction am I facing and what is behind me? Who are the three men named and what colour is the dragon?

image.png.f9134bae92e2ed4a0728c47e5cb1f3cf.png

Edited by Fattyowls

Hi Pete,

To answer your questions

You are at “The Tunnellers Memorial”, Givenchy-lès-le- Bassée, looking through the yellow T, to approx grid north.  

Behind you is the Memorial to the 55th West Lancs Division.

The three men named are :-
1 . William Hackett VC

2 . Thomas Collins

3 . Isaac Evans

And it is the Red Dragon (as in crater and the survey programme name).

And yes there is quite a bit of family history in the area for me😁

John.

Edited by Knotty

Who knows where this spelling mistake is?

Tony

cemsomme2.jpg