Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Now that has presented me with a moral dilemma......

I have no such dilemma but ......

I've just enlarged the photo, but only to look at the very impressive wall construction. Honest. No, really....

Pete.

P.S. I've just been asked what I was looking at and I said that I'm trying to identify WW1 cemeteries by the materials used in the wall construction. I received one of those looks. And there was me thinking we were 24 Hour Party People.......

• Admin

Summit Trench. The wall was rebuilt within the last few years with some money saving materials or something or another.

20 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

It's not a bad one that; but I'd back the forum's photographers in general and Michelle in particular against the Commissions snappers. There are some outstanding photos on here; if I ever meet whoever thought to start the thread I'm going to shake his (or her) hand. I think those windmills are the ones over by Heninel-Croisilles Road, although I could be wrong, I thought there were three. They may well have put some more up, or there's one behind the cross.

You and me both Richard. Any reaction to the jab? I'd recycle the gags about the comedy side effects but it wouldn't be big and it wouldn't be clever, and I'd feel duty bound to pay Michelle royalties.....

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Unfortunately I seem to have got most of the common side effects but that shouldn't put anyone off having it. As Captain Tom would say-tomorrow will be a good day.

Richard

• Admin

I felt dreadful the day after I had my vaccine (Astra Zeneca) so I have asked for the day off after my second dose, just in case.

13 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I felt dreadful the day after I had my vaccine (Astra Zeneca) so I have asked for the day off after my second dose, just in case.

It's a lot better than the alternative-bin there,dun that!

Thanks for continuing the admin. stuff- yes, the vaccine can knock the stuffing out of you  -You have obviously been listening to the late,great Sir Harry-  "Keep Right On to the End of the Road"

image.png.c8d9cb059f1e222ba48953ac606ed963.png

4 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Summit Trench. The wall was rebuilt within the last few years with some money saving materials or something or another.

Correct Michelle, Summit Trench it is. It was rebuilt using pre-cast panels of concrete with the flints already set in the concrete. Unless you look very closely it is not possible to tell.

John

58 minutes ago, Frajohn said:

It was rebuilt using pre-cast panels of concrete with the flints already set in the concrete. Unless you look very closely it is not possible to tell.

Who'd have thought it, as my grandma used to say "what will they think of next?". Am I correct in saying that the autoroute is behind the hedge in your picture and you can just see it across the valley?

Pete.

image.png.c8d9cb059f1e222ba48953ac606ed963.png

Definitely one of the 24 Hour Party People. But not necessarily in a good way.

Right, where is this? It's a favourite photo but not one of mine, but you knew that because the horizon is horizontal. If I tell you whose it is it might be a giveaway and there will be no giveaway cigars by the way, new, pre-owned (or should that be pre-loved), damp or otherwise.

image.jpeg.e1219aa02a2c8fddc4c5e6f4bea7a414.jpeg

• Admin

Are looking towards Heninel-Croisilles Rd cemetery? Tunnel Trench running somewhere in the foreground and Monchy on the horizon? 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Are looking towards Heninel-Croisilles Rd cemetery? Tunnel Trench running somewhere in the foreground and Monchy on the horizon? 

Perfect answer (but no cigar). If I remember correctly the outpost line of the Tunnel trench system still has some pill boxes running away to the right of picture. Monchy le Preux's dominant position is clear too. The photo was taken by Colin Taylor who knows a bit about the area, being the author of 'I Wish They'd Killed You In A Decent Show'. I think there is a small chance that a footballer called James Roy is in there in an unmarked grave, and Andy Robertshaw thinks that a footballer called Walter Tull might be too.

Have we done all of Richard's nice walk list in the area? I'd really like to follow his advice, as Arras is just over the ridge to the left I think I might be able to walk it one day, even if I stay in the centre.

Pete.

Hi 303man

Is it an old photo of Moyenneville (Two Trees) Cemetery in the Pas de Calais near Bapume?

10 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi 303man

Is it an old photo of Moyenneville (Two Trees) Cemetery in the Pas de Calais near Bapume?

Somme Area off the beaten track, new clue.

18 hours ago, 303man said:

Here is my starter for ten, It's not in Belgium is the only clue for now.

DSC_1444.JPG

Railway Cutting at Courcelles le Comte

26 minutes ago, dickaren said:

Railway Cutting at Courcelles le Comte

Bingo, off the beaten track, there are still pickets in the railway bank from trenches in the area, a relatively un-visited site. 

40 minutes ago, 303man said:

Bingo, off the beaten track, there are still pickets in the railway bank from trenches in the area, a relatively un-visited site. 

Visited the cemetery in 1994, not been back since. Like you say not just off the beaten track but just off the railway track!

• Admin

Where am I stood and where am I looking towards? 

IMG_1932.JPG

I will hazard a guess at Vendresse Military looking up towards the Chemin de Dames. But I could be wrong, it is a favourite of mine so it could be wishful thinking.

Pete.

• Admin

More or less completely  correct Pete. Where does the valley in the foreground lead to? 

I think the valley drops down to the village of Vendresse with the CWGC burials in the church and if you keep following the slope you eventually get to the Aisne around Pont-Arcy. I think there may be something in that I may have overlooked however, and there may be a photograph of it with a motorbike nearby.........

Pete.

• Admin

No motorbike that time Pete. It’s what used to be there but isn’t now is the answer.......

16 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Where am I stood and where am I looking towards? 

IMG_1932.JPG

Wherever it is, it looks very beautiful.

46 minutes ago, horrocks said:

Wherever it is, it looks very beautiful.

It is. It's one of those places where the contrast between the then and now is most marked. Get up to the Chemin de Dames itself and the landscape is relatively flat and open but the valleys and spurs that run down to the river are lovely. It's hard to imagine French troops climbing the slope to contest the ridge, and the presence of British troops at the start and the end of the war, but it has something I rarely feel elsewhere. It is as if the shattered optimism of the Nivelle offensive has seeped into the terroir.

Pete.