Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

• Admin

Bois de Noulette it is. 
I spy the modern day Double Crassier in your photo Pete, and the pylons look like the ones that traverse the Hohenzollern Redoubt.

Michelle 

8 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

I spy the modern day Double Crassier in your photo Pete

A good spot Michelle, but these aren't the droids pylons you are looking for. I was thinking of a clue based on the fact that most of us have climbed up one of the features on the horizon but those who have photographed the landscape from the slag heaps are a much more select group. Next time I'm at that location I must try to get both slag heaps into the picture, I think I only realised they were visible when I downloaded the photos.

Pete.

15 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

walk that way up to where the Schwaben Redoubt was

Coming down the road from the Ulster Tower and take the right turn to St. Pierre Divion and you get a good insight into the lie of the land and why the Germans chose to establish themselves next to the river.  You can park behind the church (you can just see the top of my car in the picture above) but watch out for the rather unpleasant dog in the adjacent red bricked house.

It's a long way up

DSC04157.JPG

so don't forget your walking poles:

senior-man-with-walking-poles-sticks-and-wearing-walking-boots-to-JJ92R3.jpg.4f4e0691e8cefcc00e2726066f083d91.jpg

15 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

another Schwaben redoubt where the Lochnagar crater now is

Schwabenhohe

Edited by Don Regiano

42 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

but watch out for the rather unpleasant dog in the adjacent red bricked house

Top tip Reg. I might have to stock up with the French equivalent of Winalot or some other canine treats to distract it. I remember walking up to the entrance of Fort St Michel which overlooks Verdun and having a stare out contest with the meanest looking dog I think I've ever seen.  The road up to the Ulster Tower from the valley is steep enough but at least has the prospect of ice cream at the top as an incentive. Not that I'm obsessed with ice cream, I haven't got a problem, I can stop any time I want........:wacko:

Pete.

P.S. Thinking about it I might approach the steep track by going via Mill Road and walking down. I can work the ice cream in that way.

The walk from St Pierre Divion up onto the Thiepval heights, on to the Ulster Tower and back down Mill Road doesn't take too long. My companion and I did it one beautiful May morning a couple of years ago, the mist rising through the trees in the valley, and were back at Battery Valley Farm in time for a very hearty breakfast.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

I might approach the steep track by going via Mill Road and walking down

I thought you might take the easy way! It's not too difficult really.

DSC04165.JPG

Edited by Don Regiano

The zoom lens has the interesting effect of drawing the trees up on the Newfoundland Park very close. One ponders upon the horrors enclosed within the frame of that photograph. It all looks so benign.

spacer.png

Reverting, if I may, to Caterpillar Valley, I recalled that the Montauban spire was (just) visible in this photograph, and was the reason for my confusion as to the axis of your picture. Did we establish which church it actually was?

• Admin
7 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

A good spot Michelle, but these aren't the droids pylons you are looking for. I was thinking of a clue based on the fact that most of us have climbed up one of the features on the horizon but those who have photographed the landscape from the slag heaps are a much more select group. Next time I'm at that location I must try to get both slag heaps into the picture, I think I only realised they were visible when I downloaded the photos.

Pete.

Have you climbed up to the viewing platform at Dud Corner? And  are you at the Quarry Cemetery

Hi

The Church in Pete's photograph is Saint-Pierre, in Martinpuich. The 1st image below is an attempt to replicate Pete's image, The second is the same image, blown up so you can clearly see the newly renovated towering steeple of the church.

Kind regards

John

DSC00252.jpg.2874887c0bceff2afbc386ae20608636.jpg

DSC00252Z.jpg.78e4b5753a02c5a54502f008a696886f.jpg

55 minutes ago, Frajohn said:

The Church in Pete's photograph is Saint-Pierre, in Martinpuich.

Thanks John. As you know I have walked to Caterpillar Valley from Martinpuich in the company of a recently retired inhabitant of Chicago, Illinois and both of us doubted that it was St Pierre in the distance. I wonder if it is because the village is in the dip, you don't expect to be able to see it. My Picardie église spotting record is patchy to say the least.

Hope all is well with you and Mrs K,

Pete.

*who looks forward to returning as soon as things get back to some kind of normal.

3 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Have you climbed up to the viewing platform at Dud Corner? And  are you at the Quarry Cemetery

Yes but that's not where the photo is from and Quarry would be taking you even further away. The location has a deep significance for amigos from Kingston.

6 hours ago, horrocks said:

It all looks so benign.

I feel the same way about almost all of mine. A particularly striking example are the ones I have taken of Mash Valley; I hope to recreate the photo from the 3rd July 1916 which appeared I think in the Sphere magazine which shows the village under fire and what appear to be lots of little hummocks in the valley. The last time I didn't want to go trampling through the crops.

Pete.

• Admin

I think Pete I see going to have to reveal the location of his photo. 

• Admin

Meanwhile, where is Mr Young sitting enjoying listening the cuckoos? 

IMG_1959.JPG

16 hours ago, Frajohn said:

Hi

The Church in Pete's photograph is Saint-Pierre, in Martinpuich. The 1st image below is an attempt to replicate Pete's image, The second is the same image, blown up so you can clearly see the newly renovated towering steeple of the church.

Kind regards

John

DSC00252.jpg.2874887c0bceff2afbc386ae20608636.jpg

DSC00252Z.jpg.78e4b5753a02c5a54502f008a696886f.jpg

Ah, finally I've got it - and the wood is of course High Wood. I've been completely thrown by the fact that the photo was taken out of the side of the structure in my B&W photo above, whilst my brain was trying to tell me that it was taken out of the front. Daft as a brush.

39 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I think Pete I see going to have to reveal the location of his photo. 

But before I do I will unleash a couple more clues. The Kingston is question is silent, the fourth group of amigos where called t'others, the wood features in my favourite John Nash painting and my interest in the area is as a result of the wounding and capture of the father and namesake of a former England football manager.

If all this doesn't work I'll post a panoramic of the whole area which might help.

Pete.

19 minutes ago, horrocks said:

Daft as a brush.

I don't think so somehow, I wonder if it is a question of us being very familiar with the view and then looking at just a portion out of context. One of the things I am picking up from this thread is that many views I take are the obvious ones; I nearly always take a photo of High Wood from the other side of the road from the entrance to Caterpillar Valley for example.

Pete.

P.S. I like the description of the early morning walk around St Pierre-Divion; presumably it was too early for ice cream?

• Admin

Oppy wood 

5 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Oppy wood 

Correct Michelle. I was going to mention that there are two pylons not carrying electricity on the horizon, as I've seen the Vimy Ridge Canadian memorial described that way. I think the spire of Vimy church may be visible, and/or Givenchy-en-Gohelle possibly. The memorial is over five and a half miles distant and the southern end of the ridge nearly three if Google Earth is to be believed.

Pete.

P.S. So just John's cunningly doctored cemetery with the VC winner and Where's Wayne No. 2 with added cuckoos outstanding.

• Admin

Can you post the panorama please Pete? 

8 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Can you post the panorama please Pete? 

As it's you, yes. I'm starting to wonder if I can really see the memorial in my original given the distance, but what else would be sticking up in that direction?

444854185_OppyWoodpanoramic.thumb.jpg.001723f9c8be9b80715708fadc19e5a1.jpg

• Admin

Is John at Vraucourt Copse? 

6 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Is John at Vraucourt Copse? 

Which would make Private Hugh McIver the VC. He had MM and bar to go with it.

Pete.