Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

1 minute ago, WhiteStarLine said:

And a rather dangerous place to be if you chose the wrong date!  Great photographs too.

image.png.ca92829660970ca50d9b53eb1e60c57e.png

which map is that a detail of and where could i see the whole thing? 

Here is a better one that shows the exact location of the old railway and 8 or so concrete bunkers within 500 metres of where you were standing!  Surely at least one of them should still be there.  You can also see the machine gun positions and a lot of concreted positions.  The lines near where you took the photograph (shown on the trench map) are battery positions, marked as 'probably timber or camouflage'.  Map courtesy WFA / IWM.

image.png.39d4442eb0bbed0b021777be145fa80d.png

image.png.4cb4313efca91ed90d789dab0dc8b8c6.png

In this aerial, Woodland Plantation is marked and the black letter K is Source Farm, so you were standing around 100 metres off this photo.  Same source, October 1917.

image.png.fb829af5dc1827151f0ed7c4ad462391.png

• Admin

Caterpillar crater

2 hours ago, WorldWarWanderer said:

This should be an easy one: Where am I?

It might be an easy one but it is interesting to me that the water level in the crater isn't that much different from the times I've been there. Because I'm sad every time I go to Spanbroekmolen I take a photo of the water level as it doesn't seem to vary much being a function of the underlying geology and the effect of the explosions. As to your latest one I think that is the wall of a CWGC cemetery, you are quite high up and I'm wondering if you are by the Buttes New Zealand Memorial and looking south east? I reckon if you were looking north west you would have Polygon Wood cemetery in picture. But I could be completely wrong of course.....

Pete.

10 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

It might be an easy one but it is interesting to me that the water level in the crater isn't that much different from the times I've been there. Because I'm sad every time I go to Spanbroekmolen I take a photo of the water level as it doesn't seem to vary much being a function of the underlying geology and the effect of the explosions. As to your latest one I think that is the wall of a CWGC cemetery, you are quite high up and I'm wondering if you are by the Buttes New Zealand Memorial and looking south east? I reckon if you were looking north west you would have Polygon Wood cemetery in picture. But I could be completely wrong of course.....

Pete.

impressive! spot on. here's the view in the three other directions. 

20210131_151137.jpg.9695960d25e78259d366016f177ac7b9.jpg

20210131_151155.jpg.5bdb5234ca890e9975a1064083b42f24.jpg

20210131_151201.jpg.961f4c66667691a40bf39b6c49b710b2.jpg

It's remarkable to be honest as I don't think I've ever been there, or indeed ever found Polygon Wood despite at least one attempt to go there. I've only had one cup of coffee so far this morning too which makes it close to amazing. They were some very good Vietnamese Dragon Balls beans so I might have to order some more........:P

Excellent photos yet again.

Ok, another one. If you're not a German and you see it from this side you're probably lost, a prisoner or in deep trouble... (most likely all three)

As you can see the weather yesterday was just perfect for battlefield walking. 

20210131_171610.jpg.5ec78ce03c4af0948c89efb1ff9814f9.jpg

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

It's remarkable to be honest as I don't think I've ever been there, or indeed ever found Polygon Wood despite at least one attempt to go there.

A good landmark to aim for is the relatively recent Black Watch memorial (at Black Watch Corner), which is at the South West corner of Polygon Wood. 

49 minutes ago, sassenach said:

A good landmark to aim for is the relatively recent Black Watch memorial (at Black Watch Corner), which is at the South West corner of Polygon Wood. 

Indeed, i entered the wood from that side as well. it's the best way to go there. in a straight line with the German bunkers between the trees to your left and right. the way the cemetary and the monument appear in front of you is just mesmerizing. such a beautiful and haunting place at the same time. the history of it makes gravity a little stronger there. 

The Black Watch memorial itself is a wonderful and much needed addition to the patrimonium too. worth a visit if you have the chance: 

Photos of the commemorative plaques and the monument: https://photos.app.goo.gl/96WSGhmuDsDLHyV67

20210131_145253.jpg.0ed14db841d33917c7eb36e52f14597c.jpg

2 hours ago, sassenach said:

A good landmark to aim for is the relatively recent Black Watch memorial (at Black Watch Corner

1 hour ago, WorldWarWanderer said:

Indeed, i entered the wood from that side as well.

It should be a source of shame that I have always failed to visit on previous occasions, but I'm a career slacker and it isn't. To be honest being unable to find a whole track of woodland that big takes real talent I feel. I've now got no excuse so it's on the list of places to see when it is safe to do so.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

Being a. Worcester man I’ve always tried to visit the wood when I’ve been to Ypres.....trying to imagine the 2 nd Worcester’s being at rest there when the call went out to stop the breakthrough at Gheluveld  .......great photos

20 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

Being a. Worcester man I’ve always tried to visit the wood when I’ve been to Ypres.....trying to imagine the 2 nd Worcester’s being at rest there when the call went out to stop the breakthrough at Gheluveld  .......great photos

Yes, indeed. Didn't Haig say that they saved the battle, saved Ypres and quite possibly saved the War.

Great photos, of course, WWW.

5 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Yes, indeed. Didn't Haig say that they saved the battle, saved Ypres and quite possibly saved the War.

Great photos, of course, WWW.

Yes I believe so. As a lad I was privileged to have a school friend whose father survived the battle.....I wish I’d asked more questions,but then we can all say that!!! Haig himself opened the memorial park in Worcester ! 

1 hour ago, gilbo139 said:

Yes I believe so. As a lad I was privileged to have a school friend whose father survived the battle.....I wish I’d asked more questions,but then we can all say that!!! Haig himself opened the memorial park in Worcester ! 

In October 2014 I attended the centenary commemoration ceremony for the Worcesters and the South Wales Borderers at their memorials in Geluvelt. Very well attended.

49 minutes ago, sassenach said:

In October 2014 I attended the centenary commemoration ceremony for the Worcesters and the South Wales Borderers at their memorials in Geluvelt. Very well attended.

That’s great, respect and remembrance, such an important thing !

11 hours ago, WorldWarWanderer said:

Ok, another one.

I know exactly where that is as the tower is recognisable. I was sure I had a photo from the other side but the only one I can find is from the tower of the Cloth Hall which means it is very indistinct. I'll wait to see if anyone else has an idea before giving the location, it's another very interesting perspective.

Pete.

P.S. I've not forgotten about the PM; I'll be in touch.

Edited by Fattyowls

On 01/02/2021 at 21:37, Fattyowls said:

I know exactly where that is as the tower is recognisable. I was sure I had a photo from the other side but the only one I can find is from the tower of the Cloth Hall which means it is very indistinct. I'll wait to see if anyone else has an idea before giving the location, it's another very interesting perspective.

Pete.

P.S. I've not forgotten about the PM; I'll be in touch.

Should i reveal it? 

meanwhile, another one: Where am i? 

20210131_123338-PANO.jpg.3ccd296e7c297598b6e2798bf0473c32.jpg

Should i reveal it? 

How about a clue?

Should i reveal it? 

meanwhile, another one: Where am i? 

20210131_123338-PANO.jpg.3ccd296e7c297598b6e2798bf0473c32.jpg

Would that be Shrewsbury Forest at centre left?

33 minutes ago, sassenach said:

How about a clue?

Would that be Shrewsbury Forest at centre left?

hmmm, i'm not sure it was actually considered a part of it, but let's not get hung up on semantics. so, the answer is yes... but where? 

35 minutes ago, sassenach said:

How about a clue?

well, if i am a soldier with the allied forces and i'm standing here in the month of november 1917, i am one of the lucky ones (but it wouldn't feel that way).

17 minutes ago, WorldWarWanderer said:

hmmm, i'm not sure it was actually considered a part of it, but let's not get hung up on semantics. so, the answer is yes... but where? 

If it is "Shrewsbury Forest" is Hill 62 away to your right? If so, maybe you are on Pappotstraat? Wish I could read the sign!