Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

31 minutes ago, sassenach said:

If it is "Shrewsbury Forest" is Hill 62 away to your right? If so, maybe you are on Pappotstraat? Wish I could read the sign!

you're zeroing in, but remember, the wood on the left is not strictly the core of Shrewsbury. One "valley" away...  (also, change your bearing 90°)

33 minutes ago, WorldWarWanderer said:

you're zeroing in, but remember, the wood on the left is not strictly the core of Shrewsbury. One "valley" away...  (also, change your bearing 90°)

I think you (or Pete) are going to have to tell me...

16 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I think you (or Pete) are going to have to tell me...

Ok, the last one (where you wish you could read the sign) is: 50°48'50.0"N 2°56'23.0"E (looking NE) 

The first one is looking at the north end of Passendale (is the area Mosselmarkt?) from Kraaiveldstraat, where the footpath joins it. The tower is the feature I always home in on when looking at photos from the other side of the ridge. For years I thought it was the church. It's interesting the way the ground appears to slope uniformly away from the ridge, unlike the spurs and valleys on the opposite side. I think I have only once looked from the village in this direction despite several visits. Good photo.

Pete.

In the panorama that looks like the railway line on the embankment on the left. I'm trying not to look at your route for clues and seeking a t-junction alongside the tracks from the map and without using the coordinates.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

ok. it's getting confusing here. 

i'm going to clear this up: 

On 01/02/2021 at 12:27, WorldWarWanderer said:

Ok, another one. If you're not a German and you see it from this side you're probably lost, a prisoner or in deep trouble... (most likely all three)

As you can see the weather yesterday was just perfect for battlefield walking. 

20210131_171610.jpg.5ec78ce03c4af0948c89efb1ff9814f9.jpg

50°54'06.0"N 3°01'41.0"E (looking NNW) 

Fattyowls wins the money. 

4 hours ago, WorldWarWanderer said:

Should i reveal it? 

meanwhile, another one: Where am i? 

20210131_123338-PANO.jpg.3ccd296e7c297598b6e2798bf0473c32.jpg

50°48'50.0"N 2°56'23.0"E (looking NE) 

@fattyowls: the horizon you wanted photos of is behind me here. 

This one is almost the same view of Passchendaele but 500 meters further to the east. when it's rainy and foggy as it was on sunday. there's an eerie feeling looking in that direction. if someone would tell you the earth ends behind that ridge, there's a good chance you'd believe it. it's a different place as soon as you're over the crest with Ypres behind you. the gently curving hand that seems to cup Ypres stops there. you're in the Hinterland now. there's no fighting, there's just transporting, manufacturing, loading, bagging, unbagging, embarking...

20210131_172335.jpg.7ee34a961bf064b51850b89d46ab240c.jpg

This one tells me more about the landscape than any of my previous visits to the village. Excellent.

Pete.

P.S. I might spend my winnings on a new phone with a really good camera.........:whistle:

7 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

This one tells me more about the landscape than any of my previous visits to the village. Excellent.

Pete.

P.S. I might spend my winnings on a new phone with a really good camera.........:whistle:

That would be most advisable Pete, possibly one that has been made in this century.....:w00t:

2 hours ago, RitchiebytheC said:

possibly one that has been made in this century

My responsible grown up had just read your gag Mr C, the first word of her response was cheeky, the second word began with a b and ended with a r. I'll have you know that the phone apparatus that we normally speak on is a 70's design classic.

2 hours ago, WorldWarWanderer said:

but again, i almost always use this wide angle lens. so the curvature (as is clearly visible on the left and right) is exaggerated. 

I get a bit of that with my Canon compact, I really notice it when I try to create montages of photos. It's something to bear in mind when I enter the 21st century as far as a mobile phone is concerned. Top tip.

Pete.

4 hours ago, WorldWarWanderer said:

Ok, the last one (where you wish you could read the sign) is: 50°48'50.0"N 2°56'23.0"E (looking NE) 

So the wood to the left is Battle Wood?

20 hours ago, sassenach said:

So the wood to the left is Battle Wood?

it's hard to answer this in a simple way :) 

Battle wood IS actually to my left, but i'm not sure it's on the photo. many of these woods have been replanted, expanded, and so on. so it's hard (for me) to say in this clump of connected woods which is exactly which.

By now i'm completely done underestimating the members of this forum. will probably be solved in no time again... 

This is another interesting place, but where am i?  

20210131_122130.jpg.6aa8bd162990150f797471165a964ee0.jpg

Edited by WorldWarWanderer

I think I know where the photo was taken, but I'll leave it a bit and try to prove it to myself.

Pete.

Time for the daily battlefield photo. this one is mostly about the mud actuallly. however, i won't be surprised if someone can guess where i am. the place behind me is visited by busloads every day normally... 

20210131_140031.jpg.2e075e16da7e51f64a0169f45960e27c.jpg

Just to go back to the relatively mud free photo of the railway line beyond the trees are you by the line of ponds that cross the path along the line from the Caterpillar?

Pete.

1 hour ago, WorldWarWanderer said:

this one is mostly about the mud actuallly

When you look at the colour of the water in the furrows you can almost imagine it is contaminated with mustard gas. Seriously spooky and another example of a view in the opposite direction from a much photographed location;IMG_1795.JPG.c0d3a377ad40e00014c049226766e525.JPG

5 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

When you look at the colour of the water in the furrows you can almost imagine it is contaminated with mustard gas. Seriously spooky and another example of a view in the opposite direction from a much photographed location;IMG_1795.JPG.c0d3a377ad40e00014c049226766e525.JPG

Nice one Pete. One of the most poignant views in the salient imho.