Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

• Admin

Where are Tom Jack and my late Dad shuffling and where is Wayne standing? 

9D9EC1C1-F942-44F5-9E83-E823F60BAC4E.jpeg

• Admin

And another probably easier 

50A4F948-BC4C-472E-9293-1763F9DF0874.jpeg

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Where are Tom Jack and my late Dad shuffling and where is Wayne standing? 

Apart from the fact that despite searching for small unwalled cemeteries next to industrial units I have drawn a complete blank there is something I really like about that photo.

I looked at Arras first as there looks to be some autoroute overhead signage above Wayne and the boys.  The one I was thinking of didn't fit however. I looked at the area around Loos and Hill 70 because it reminded me a bit of the retail estate on the top of the hill but I can't see any cemeteries, and then at the Lys valley. I thought of the industrial units on the other side of the Eurostar line from Bois Grenier and looked at X Farm and Desplanque Farm, but I can't think of anywhere that has that kind of slope. So I'm thinking about Arras again. I've learned quite a bit and it will keep me out of mischief, especially if the cricket from Chennai is boring early tomorrow morning.

It's a really good one, and the monument is interesting too, I thought of the small statue of Liberty south of the canal (was it Cuinchy?) but since I can't find my copy of BEF I might need some clues.

Pete.

Michelle

The second is the Portugeese Memorial at La Couture, seen from the rear.

Below memorial from the front.

John

Portugese_Memorial.jpg.37ddd86cc5a0dfd8ad66c0fafb505439.jpg

Edited by Frajohn

• Admin

Cigar goes to Frajohn. 

• Admin

A beautiful September morning after leaving the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. So where were we? 

IMG_1969.JPG

I was close but no cigar; lucky I don't smoke. I looked at Monchy but missed Happy Valley and Orange Trench on Google Earth. Now you know you start seeing every cemetery for a radius of about five kilometres......

Pete.

• Admin

No takers for my photo? The cemetery can be seen from the A26 if that helps. 

4 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

No takers for my photo? The cemetery can be seen from the A26 if that helps. 

That is one very, very long road Michelle 🤔 😊

• Admin

Indeed it is dickaren. A lovely cemetery. 

1 minute ago, Michelle Young said:

Indeed it is dickaren. A lovely cemetery. 

Have always meant to visit when passing but not made it so far.

And the name of the hotel to give a miss?

Richard

• Admin

It’s closed down! We used to go  over with people who didn’t appreciate the finer things about French cuisine and hospitality. It was a Formule1. The dirtiest place I’ve ever stayed in. After my letter of complaint, it closed. It’s now another budget hotel. 

On 14/02/2021 at 16:43, Michelle Young said:

It’s closed down! We used to go  over with people who didn’t appreciate the finer things about French cuisine and hospitality. It was a Formule1. The dirtiest place I’ve ever stayed in. After my letter of complaint, it closed. It’s now another budget hotel. 

Sounds like it deserved to close.

Richard

Formule 1 is a budget hotel chain.

They were quite convenient, and clean, when the chain started out years ago. Very, very unpleasant last time I tried one, and that was years ago. Never again.

• Admin

I couldn't agree more! 

One of my first trips to the battlefields was done on a shoestring, I stopped in a formula 1 on the outskirts of boulogne, which like most of them was near a supermarket.....we arrived late but just in time to get to the Auchaan and get baguette, cheese and wine. A tablecloth was laid on the bed and we had a feast!!! Happy memories because it was cheap and clean ,but it was the early 90s. They were very impersonal but supplied a need. Since then I’ve enjoyed French ( and Belgian) hospitality and rarely been disappointed!! 

Another photo framed, this time by stone. Does anyone know where it is, the location of the church on the horizon and its dedication? I think I know the answer but I've been wrong about this view in the past.

Pete.

image.jpeg.ebd5264eea2cd662e61b6df61f9463b4.jpeg

• Admin

I think you are stood in Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, so the church should be Montauban, but it doesn’t look like it!

Stayed in F1 in 1999 in Amiens was there to walk the Somme for the first time guy who booked it wanted cheap and got it! In the middle of an Industrial Estate no food and of course no mobile phones had to walk mile for a phone to tell everyone I was safe in this faraway country!

Would not repeat that experience, what we saved in accommodation cost us more in petrol in travelling back and forth every day!

Tony

• Admin

A cold day in March 2018. Where is  this. 

IMG_1462.JPG

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

I think you are stood in Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, so the church should be Montauban, but it doesn’t look like it!

You are quite correct , the church doesn't look like Montauban mainly because it isn't. You are spot on with Caterpillar valley however.

Montauban looks like this from the viewpoint...

Pete.

852324395_MontaubanfromCaterpillarValley.JPG.7464ee8921458303357bcaee64f1b6a5.JPG

Hi Pete

I decided not to join in your last vista, when I blew it up to see the church on the horizon, you can probably guess what I saw draped from one side to the other....

Back to the church, would it be Flers?

Not Flers Mr K, that is hidden behind the ridge between High Wood and Delville Wood that the New Zealand Memorial stands on top of. I'm always surprised by this view, to the point where I doubt myself.

Pete.