Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

4 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Not Flers Mr K, that is hidden behind the ridge between High Wood and Delville Wood that the New Zealand Memorial stands on top of. I'm always surprised by this view, to the point where I doubt myself.

Pete.

Looking at the disposition of the headstones, I would guess you were looking somewhere west or north west, vaguely towards/over the Courcelette/Martinpuich direction and possibly beyond.  I couldn't tell you about churches though as I'm not well up on them.

16 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

You are quite correct , the church doesn't look like Montauban mainly because it isn't. You are spot on with Caterpillar valley however.

Montauban looks like this from the viewpoint...

Pete.

852324395_MontaubanfromCaterpillarValley.JPG.7464ee8921458303357bcaee64f1b6a5.JPG

I thought exactly the same as Michelle, but was also struggling to make it Montauban due to the vantage point.

12 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

vaguely towards/over the Courcelette/Martinpuich

You have a 50% chance of being correct Reg; I think the dedication should be St. Pierre. If our regular contributor to the thread who is on the spot looks in he will be able to confirm.....

1 hour ago, horrocks said:

I thought exactly the same as Michelle, but was also struggling to make it Montauban due to the vantage point.

That makes me feel a whole lot better Toby given you have taken the odd photo in the area. For some reason I'm never convinced that it's the correct church in the original picture. The only one I'm ever sure about is Montauban because it is so prominent from Caterpillar Valley, although Longueval is close enough to be a gimme, but I've never photographed the view back for some reason.

Pete.

48 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

You have a 50% chance of being correct Reg; I think the dedication should be St. Pierre

As in St. Pierre in Martinpuich, as distinct from Le Sars.  I don't know the name of the church in Courcelette.  In fact, I didn't recall seeing one there then I found out I had actually parked opposite in when visiting a rederie there a few years back.  Our French electrician actually is the Maire there!

Oh, and on the theme you've introduced:

DSC04168.JPG

Edited by Don Regiano

2 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

As in St. Pierre in Martinpuich

That's what I think it is, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

2 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Oh, and on the theme you've introduced:

I know exactly where that is but I can't work out your viewpoint and what the church on the left is, although there aren't too many alternatives.

Pierre (not St).

From the track that runs from the boche hat to the communal cemetery, via a certain infamous redoubt.

Edited by horrocks

46 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I know exactly where that is but I can't work out your viewpoint and what the church on the left is, although there aren't too many alternatives.

1 minute ago, horrocks said:

From the path that runs from the boche hat to the communal cemetery, via a certain infamous redoubt.

Horrocks wins the fig rolls.   Church and St. Pierre Divion.  More or less from the bottom of the Strasburg Line.  It was easy really - some of them posted on here are way beyond my knowledge - just like the "who is this" thread.

• Admin

No takers for my latest one? Clue it's not on the Somme or in the Salient 

Well I never, who'd have thought it. I wasn't convinced St Pierre Divion existed, then that it was just a farmhouse. I had no idea it had a church; educational. Next time I'm there I'm going to fight the urge to go straight to the Ulster Tower for ice cream and walk that way up to where the Schwaben Redoubt was. Or one of the Schwaben redoubts, I am sure I saw a trench map which had another Schwaben redoubt where the Lochnagar crater now is. Could be wrong of course.

Pete.

P.S. Anyone any ideas about Michelle's parky looking long range view of a mystery cemetery? Not being Somme or Ypres leaves us with a fair distance to cover I fear.

• Admin

Another clue. It lies behind a hill which figures prominently in French history 

I've just spent an interesting and informative 15 minutes looking for CWGC cemeteries with wood in the name. Got nowhere as far as I can see. The entrance is really characteristic and I was hoping to identify it from that. So now we are looking for historic French hills, hmm.......

Pete.

• Admin

You are getting chaud Pete

Is it Orival Wood?

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Is it Orival Wood?

Or perhaps Aval Wood?

Having checked out both on the CWGC site I fear not NF, as great minds think alike (or as my old mum would say 'fools seldom differ'). There's something about that entrance that is familiar.

Pete.

On 17/02/2021 at 20:14, Knotty said:

I decided not to join in your last vista, when I blew it up to see the church on the horizon, you can probably guess what I saw draped from one side to the other....

I'd completely forgotten about the cable; how insensitive of me. If I were a better or nicer person I'd be ashamed. Will you need therapy?

Anzac cemetery Sailly-sur-la-lys?

39 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

You are getting chaud Pete

Brilliant Michelle; I suddenly had a lightbulb moment - admittedly a very low wattage energy saving lightbulb moment but I'm not the man I once was. Funnily enough I got the hill straight away and then it was a case of searching the rarely visited (except by you and Mr Y) side. Then I remembered what the French word is for wood and Robert is your mother's brother. Simples, all I've got to do now is work out your viewpoint.

Pete.

P.S. I had my jab yesterday. I was hoping that I would grow an extra head and that it would be better looking and cleverer than the one I've got. No such luck.

I think it's Bois de Noulette, but no idea of your viewpoint.

33 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I'd completely forgotten about the cable; how insensitive of me. If I were a better or nicer person I'd be ashamed. Will you need therapy?

Not this time Pete, like you I had my jab yesterday, so for me that’s a form of therapy😁

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I think it's Bois de Noulette, but no idea of your viewpoint.

I think so too; in fact I know that you are correct Mr P.  The question I'm asking myself is how can anyone be so talented and only have one head?

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I had my jab yesterday

Hope you've not had any side effects Mr K, although they do say that two heads are better than one.

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

I think so too; in fact I know that you are correct Mr P.  The question I'm asking myself is how can anyone be so talented and only have one head?

I think the key might be the ability to use other people's who are cleverer than yourself, which is exactly what I did, so kudos to you for sussing it first.😉

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

I think the key might be the ability to use other people's who are cleverer than yourself, which is exactly what I did, so kudos to you for sussing it first.😉

I have always liked the dictum 'I use all the brains I have and all the brains I can borrow'. As it is I was clever once, it was a Wednesday.

I've just been warned not to keep recycling the two heads gag by my responsible grown up; it's not big and it's not clever. And Michelle will be demanding royalties.

And just to prove I am completely insensitive I'd like the team to consider where these multiple cables running past this bit of bois are. If anyone is up for the smarty pants award they can give me the features on the horizon while they are at it.

image.jpeg.59da12e2cc04570d270254a58316b06e.jpeg