Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

• Admin

Hargicourt British Cemetery. The communal extension stands alone from the communal cemetery now as German graves were removed. Have stopped a few times and had a picnic sitting by Hargicourt British, a lovely place. Photos below of the communal and the British, the black and white one is an attempt  to capture the same view as in The Silent Cities

IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_1835.JPG

• Admin

A very hot day in 2015, where is Bertha the BMW peeping out? So hot that year we ended up buying summer biking gear! 

IMG_0715.JPG

On 22/02/2021 at 19:04, Knotty said:

Hi Old Forge,

That’s quite a stunning “at sunrise” panorama, gives you the idea and perspective of what was happening to the 2/Wilts. I have a distant relative, by marriage, who was killed in this action, no known grave but remembered on both the Menin Gate and Newbury war memorial

Thanks for your responses @Knottyand @Fattyowls. It's a pleasure to explore through 50 pages of this thread - some wonderful pictures. 

12 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

where is Bertha the BMW peeping out?

Having been so successful recently at working out which cemetery from the construction of the wall I'm just going to say that that is a lovely spread of papaver rhoeas.

Pete.

• Admin

All the casualties date from October 1918, mainly Canadian. Nice and easy now 

IMG_2085.JPG

• Admin

No, but I see where you are coming from! 

The only other cemetery I can think of with entrance steps like that and mainly Canadian casualties is Niagara Cemetery at Iuwy

Edited by Knotty

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

The only other cemetery I can think of with entrance steps like that and mainly Canadian casualties is Niagara Cemetery at Iuwy

That the one. Similar steps to the entrance, same architect.

Richard

• Admin

Well done, Niagara it is 

Where am I, and if I crossed the road and climbed up where would I be then?

image.jpeg.55a705fa92af85e8b197d7937db1a03f.jpeg

Edited by Fattyowls

I’m worried about making a fool of myself but could it be Lille Gate and up the steps to Ramparts Cemetery??

Has anyone got a picture of the Lille Gate cemeteries signs pre replacement which was about 2004?

1 hour ago, gilbo139 said:

I’m worried about making a fool of myself but could it be Lille Gate and up the steps to Ramparts Cemetery??

No chance of that Mr G. Spot on in every respect. I thought that was a bit easy but I quite like that one, and I am a fan of the ramparts and Ramparts too.

Pete.

Where am I and what am I looking at?

image.jpeg.3a6c0759179367f76392f354b9382e74.jpeg

It was nice to have an easier one, all my photos would be easy to identify however it’s great to see places I haven’t been to so keep them coming !! The Ramparts if I remember correctly is where Rose Coombes ashes were scattered! 

2 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

It was nice to have an easier one, all my photos would be easy to identify however it’s great to see places I haven’t been to so keep them coming !! The Ramparts if I remember correctly is where Rose Coombes ashes were scattered! 

You remember correctly Mr G. Marilyne posted a very nice photo from across the moat on the forum and I've seen some very nice snowy ones on the electrical interweb. I don't know if my last one is difficult or easy. I can furnish clues if it doesn't go quickly.

Pete.

180 degrees out Mr K, you are on the right geological lines however. I would be very interested if anyone has that view from Kemmel due to all the trees.

Pete.

• Admin

Looking towards Bailleuil from Kemmel? 

Are you on Pilkem ridge?

5 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Looking towards Bailleuil from Kemmel? 

Not Kemmel, but nearby and without getting all compassy 90 degrees out.

3 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Are you on Pilkem ridge?

Nope, I'm near a pill box and a tower.

The tower is new and I'm looking south of the border, but not down Mexico way.......

On 25/02/2021 at 19:51, Michelle Young said:

Hargicourt British Cemetery. The communal extension stands alone from the communal cemetery now as German graves were removed. Have stopped a few times and had a picnic sitting by Hargicourt British, a lovely place.

Somehow I just knew you would have been there Michelle! :thumbsup: