Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

3 minutes ago, dickaren said:

Jeanne d'Arc redoubt?

Joan of Arc was the first woman that came to my mind but I discounted her when I read that she died in Rouen, safely behind allied lines. I didn't have the knowledge or skill to think of Jeanne d'Arc redoubt as you did. 

Well done. I feel sure that you are correct.👍

I'm struggling to think of any woodland with a female name or any feminine connection other than Nonneboschen which clearly doesn't count. I thought it looked like a bit of Hindenburg Line but that's not narrowing it down much. We've still got Gilbo's church with the chequerboard brickwork and the plaque which you can't quite read when it's enlarged outstanding too.....

Pete.

Just now, Fattyowls said:

I'm struggling to think of any woodland with a female name or any feminine connection other than Nonneboschen which clearly doesn't count. I thought it looked like a bit of Hindenburg Line but that's not narrowing it down much. We've still got Gilbo's church with the chequerboard brickwork and the plaque which you can't quite read when it's enlarged outstanding too.....

Pete.

There is a bois d'Arc. Perhaps monsieur is being a little cryptic.

I have to say I'm more at home trying to follow the bedding planes of what looks like limestone in yet another of Tom's signature epic elevated views. I've been past Manchester Hill on the autoroute and into St Quentin but I don't know the area at all well. If I were a better or nicer person I'd be ashamed......

Pete.

Anyone heard of a lady named Diana, died in France?

Diana Wood, on Diana Hill, is east of St Quentin, the OP gives (sorry, gave because of modern tall buildings) a perfect view of British front in front of Hindenburg Line including Manchester Hill. The occupants saw it all (except for mist on morning of 21 March). The other OP is at Homblieres, another full view of the British. It was these OPs and others, an essential part of the defensive design, which allowed the Germans artillery and tactical command of the area.

Attached map should show the OP locations and Manchester Hill marked.

Peter

download (2).png

I'm well known for barking up the wrong tree in another thread, but this is the first time I've barked up an entire wood that was wrong.😜

1 hour ago, mebu said:

Attached map should show the OP locations and Manchester Hill marked.

Good one Peter. There's just the matter of the chequerboard church now. I think I've eliminated Villers-Bretonneux and Hamel, so only a few hundred left to check, in Picardy at least.....

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

• Admin
On 24/12/2020 at 19:13, gilbo139 said:

Not the best photo I know but just to enter into the spirit of things..............a beautiful area of Northern France ,I think often overlooked by visitors who get quite close but not close enough!

4B1E9220-16AB-4779-9BC1-8100954B2EA3.jpeg

Authuille church I think? 

Sounds right given Gilbo's description. I don't think I've ever stopped in Authuille......

Pete.

Well Done Michelle, looks like it's Eglise St Fursy in Authille.

I'm sure we've all driven past it loads of times. Must admit I tend not to look at churches, except for those further back where one can sometimes find a bit of graffiti.

Edited by mebu

Absolutely right, often overlooked but when you’re cycling you tend to see much more , a very pretty cemetery close by ! 

1 hour ago, gilbo139 said:

Absolutely right, often overlooked but when you’re cycling you tend to see much more , a very pretty cemetery close by ! 

A good addition Mr G; the slopes will definitely keep you fit if you are using non electric velocipedes. Are we correct in assuming that Mrs G is reading the plaque?....

11 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Authuille church I think? 

I'm late again... Authuille church has good parking spots for those wanting to do the Thiepval walk in "walking the Somme"... Former Tank has spent some hours there ... 

M.

9 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

A good addition Mr G; the slopes will definitely keep you fit if you are using non electric velocipedes. Are we correct in assuming that Mrs G is reading the plaque?....

Yes you’re right........ten years ago now though so I don’t expect we’ll be cycling again !! Unfortunately I can’t find my photo of the plaque and I can’t remember what it said , I’ll google it !! 
Whilst I’m on I must say I’ve never ventured as far as Verdun and so I’ve found the recent content very interesting as is the thread itself.....thanks !

17 hours ago, neverforget said:

Joan of Arc was the first woman that came to my mind but I discounted her when I read that she died in Rouen, safely behind allied lines. I didn't have the knowledge or skill to think of Jeanne d'Arc redoubt as you did. 

Well done. I feel sure that you are correct.👍

Just a guess and clearly wrong!!

• Admin

What is the view and my approximate location? 

IMG_2003.JPG

• Admin

Not as picturesque in November 1917, and a "lady" is housed nearby

Lady name of Deborah perchance?

• Admin

Very, very  warm Pete, so what am I looking at and where was I standing? 

I'm with Sly on this one; are you in Flesquieres looking back with a long lens for a trademark Young longshot?

Pete.