Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

8 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Our pleasure, but if you have the opportunity for time travel then I would respectfully suggest that 2020 would not be a good year to revisit...........B)

Ha! Well spotted. Not as big a mistake as forgetting to say "thank you LADIES and gentlemen" though. Apologies to Michelle and Marilyne, and sorry to everyone for the distraction. 

Here's to 2022 then, when hopefully all this covid unpleasantness will largely be well behind us.

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Here's to 2022

and thank you Steve for diverting the discussion away from that b....y railway bridge near Hill 60.

Reg

9 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

and thank you Steve for diverting the discussion away from that b....y railway bridge near Hill 60.

Reg

😂 The memory that usually starts to fail us proves pretty exhaustive for that particular incident eh?

Don't worry, I'll close the door on my way out.😊

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Don't worry, I'll close the door on my way out.

with not much distance between you and my size 10 boot.  ;)

Thank you.

😜

Here at photo id HQ in Owls Towers it has become clear that a valued contributor to the thread, let us call him Reg from Cheshire to preserve annonymity announmyity anonynmin so nobody knows who it is, continues to have issues caused by an automotive incident near Zwarteleen in Belgium. To avoid causing him any more unpleasant flashbacks I would appreciate if other contributors would sign up for a self-denying ordinance as follows.

• No mentions of a man made feature 60m above sea level next to a railway cutting in the greater Zwarteleen metro area. The feature across the tracks named after the larval stage of a butterfly should also be avoided.
  • Keep off the alternative civil engineering meaning of the word which means to control and keep within defined limits, which features with the word enthusiasm in a well known phrase, and is the title of a US situation comedy.
  • Avoid reference to structures carrying roads across features like railway lines, waterways and other roads.
  • Confine oneself to only mentioning the mine locations of the Messines operations south of and including Hollandse schuur Farm. If the mine at St Eloi needs to be mentioned please apply for special permission direct to photo id HQ.
  • Place an embargo on any word which contains the intransitive verb meaning to wear out, tire, work out or deplete. This applies particularly to a Mr Forget.
  • Avoid at all costs the subject of the processing of waste gasses from the internal combustion engine.

Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated.

F. Owls. (Mr).

That's a pretty exhaustive list Mr. Owls, and hopefully will be a silencer on the matter.

Just now, neverforget said:

That's a pretty exhaustive list Mr. Owls, and hopefully will be a silencer on the matter.

You are very bad man Mr P, if signor Regiano requires therapy as a result of you finding a loophole in the self denying ordinance then I hope you will be a generous contributor to his costs......

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

You are very bad man Mr P, if signor Regiano requires therapy as a result of you finding a loophole in the self denying ordinance then I hope you will be a generous contributor to his costs......

I consider myself muffled now. Honest injun. 

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Thank you Mr Owls and, as far as loopholes are concerned, this is the one I will be using when training my SMLE on a certain stretch of the banks of the River Severn.

WW1 BRITISH TRENCH SNIPER PLATE | #269731975

Right, it's photo time. Every picture tells a story and this picture has a story of its own. So where is it?

hills.jpg.4d93dad087b7d312e406d7ccbea741c9.jpg

And before anyone cracks the obvious gag it's not take through someone's letter box.......

7 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

Thank you Mr Owls and, as far as loopholes are concerned, this is the one I will be using when training my SMLE on a certain stretch of the banks of the River Severn.

WW1 BRITISH TRENCH SNIPER PLATE | #269731975

Is it fitted with a silencer?

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Final warning, one more of those and it's the early bath........

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

No - so you can hear it coming your way, followed by a few Mills bombs to scare off the barbel.  I know how to play dirty!

here's one for you to use Pete:

Trabzonspor player Salih Dursun sent off for showing red card to referee |  The Independent | The Independent

Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour? In a desperate attempt to get various players to focus on the ball my photo is of French hills.........

Pete.

Just now, Don Regiano said:

No - so you can hear it coming your way, followed by a few Mills bombs to scare off the barbel.  I know how to play dirty!

Ok. You got me. An early bath to me means before the end of the year, and I can't catch a barbel to save my life just lately, so could do without anyone making it more difficult. 

Kamerad Kamerad!

In a desperate attempt to get various players to focus on the ball

Your skills in that department might be useful right now at PSG Pete.

Ok. You got me. An early bath to me means before the end of the year, and I can't catch a barbel to save my life just lately, so could do without anyone making it more difficult. 

Kamerad Kamerad!

For you NF ze var ist over!

7 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

For you NF ze var ist over!

This is not a peace. It is an armistice for 20 years......

Any chance of someone having a look through the letterbox at the panorama please? Pretty please? Pretty please with sugar on?

If anyone can be bothered to try and id the photo then bonus points will be awarded for identifying the viewpoint, and if anyone has spotted the back story to the photo's current location on the forum a whole year's supply of barbel will be supplied by a Mr P from the West Midlands.....

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
multiple spelling outrages.....

That might amount to a brace of barbel then Pete the way it's going.

You know I'm not at all familiar with the Western Front except for a couple of places, but might it be the Chemin des Dames, though that is more of a ridge than hills?

That might amount to a brace of barbel then Pete the way it's going.

You know I'm not at all familiar with the Western Front except for a couple of places, but might it be the Chemin des Dames, though that is more of a ridge than hills?

You are getting warmer. The Chemin de Dames is as you say a long ridge but not dissimilar to the one in the photo. And just as the Chemin de Dames overlooks the Aisne........

Observation ridge?

Nope. The river that runs through the photo parallels the Aisne for some of its length.

Then is it the Aisne heights?

Then is it the Aisne heights?

Look for the next major river east. Changes its name to Dutch before it reaches the North Sea. The Aisne runs into the Oise which runs into the Seine which empties into the Channel