Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

Well done John. One of the very few places I've actually been to as well. I think my brain cells haven't rejuvenated themselves since the Bourlon Wood epic. I usually need a good 24 hours to get them both working in some sort of unison again.

I've just been searching the IWM site for the original of this one, which shows the area as it was when it was infamous (IWM64647 I think). The search facility has made my eyeballs move independently of each other........

Caterpillar_Crater_Aerial.jpg.fb6ab4d3aa1adafe0aa9974cff435168.jpg

Continuing the photograph-cum-music theme, here's another for you.  The obtuse musical clue:  Leonard Cohen and Neil Diamond

DSC06608.JPG

While I ponder the links between Leonard Cohen and Neil Diamond (I fear I am going to struggle) this is the equivalent to the aerial above, courtesy of Google Earth.

image.png.39bffa0d9cfd6ee833a56deedab14fe8.png

2 minutes ago, Frajohn said:

Don

Distinctive trees

DSC_0091.jpg.9a59087c320f87b10e7fdf0c87538fff.jpg

Kind regards

John

Well done John.  I will obviously have to try harder with such experts checking this thread!

I suspected that the Somme possé would have this one sewn up. My first impressions were of one of the Redan Ridge cemeteries or New Munich Trench but what do I know?

Pete.

2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I suspected that the Somme possé would have this one sewn up. My first impressions were of one of the Redan Ridge cemeteries or New Munich Trench but what do I know?

Pete.

They would have been laudable attempts Pete.  Much better than my not even recognising a railway bridge I had walked across and, indeed, nearly deposited my car exhaust upon!

Reg

• Admin

Where is this? 

IMG_1973.JPG

11 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

They would have been laudable attempts Pete.  Much better than my not even recognising a railway bridge I had walked across and, indeed, nearly deposited my car exhaust upon!

Reg

I'm heartened that you fought the temptation to do some fly tipping Reg, or was the exhaust still attached to the Regmobile? Where was this (so I can avoid in the unlikely event of me driving the Bluesmobile in the vicinity)?.

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Where is this? 

Knowing our mutual interest in the Lys valley and your recommendation for the boulangerie in Richebourg would this be an area infamous for the day before the most infamous day in British WW1 history? Or am I barking up one of the many wrong trees in the photograph?

• Admin

In the area certainly 

@Fattyowls: could it be that I was there when you made that pic on hill60?? LOL

@Michelle Young: could this be Fromelles?? I have a pic in mind from somewhere ... 

Sorry for the absence couple of last days... Land Ops was quite busy these last days... working a bit on my research paper this WE, so that I can pester some of you with lectures again and then next week we have a FULL FULL FULL week of Joint Ops... 

Nearly holiday!!! 

So as long as you're figuring out Michelle's first, here's another nice pic for you... 

Not really difficult as "where is this" ... but a nice memory of the only real march we could do this year... sort of... 

And the proof of a point Pete once made to me... 

D94A0140.JPG.4de2ed693dc15741310b0e8ac3f0269a.JPG

Have a great evening, 

M.

32 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

could it be that I was there when you made that pic on hill60

You and a small bear friend of mine were definitely in the vicinity when I took the one looking back from the bridge towards Ieper.

57 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

In the area certainly 

If it's not the Boar's Head is it the cinder track at Rue du Bois just to the north?

Pete.

• Admin

Cinder Track it is Pete.

4 hours ago, Marilyne said:

And the proof of a point Pete once made to me...

At first I thought looking over the Lys valley to the slag heaps around Loos and Lens from a viewpoint east of Mesen, but give the elevation and the angle of what look like the Double Crassier heaps I'm wondering if this is from the Kemmelberg or maybe the Sherpenberg? Or somewhere else entirely. Nice photo either way.

Pete.

• Admin

Are you at Packhorse Farm Shrine cemetery? 

Good morning,

here's the picture with some localities recognizable by their terril :

D94A0140.JPG.4de2ed693dc15741310b0e8ac3f0269a.jpg.721258c3586473637d1d0dff1eb4746d.jpg

Kind regards

Michel

Top of the Scherpenberg is right!!! 

M.

27 minutes ago, battle of loos said:

here's the picture with some localities

Excellent Michel, that helps a lot.

Pete.

Picture is not the best ... but to BE better I just finished my XMas wish list: Neutral Density filter is on it!! 

M.

45 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Picture is not the best

Looks pretty good to me but everything as Einstein teaches us is relative, but maybe I'm easily impressed. This one isn't my finest photographic hour either (the wires are a contender for a Knotty award for intrusive cabling in a photographic setting), but what am I pointing the camera at and where am I standing?

Pete.

image.jpeg.4175a1d2b9082cc53dc3602aac6a80a8.jpeg

• Admin

You are I think looking at Kemmelberg. We stayed in a B&B a couple of times which had a fantastic view of Kemmelberg from the facilities. A poo with a view as it were! 

0F9D48CE-E376-4580-9904-40FBBE870526.jpeg

Michelle, you are almost right. As for your smallest room with a view am I correct in saying that the window is on the ground floor? And is that a public thoroughfare outside? I hope there was a blind.

Pete.

• Admin

Yes, on the ground floor, a footpath/cycle track outside and no blind! Still a darn good B&B 

3 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Yes, on the ground floor, a footpath/cycle track outside and no blind

Quirky.