Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

As it's a horrible wet day (at least where I live), here are some photos of a very touching memorial on a sunny day at Verdun.

It's known as the Donkey cross, not because it shows a donkey but because loaded donkeys used to pass it on the way up to the battlefield at Verdun. Men took the opportunity of scratching their names on it too, so it's covered with graffiti. Who were they and what happened to them? The original track, which is quite deep, was overgrown with sloe bushes when I was there but they were being cleared and a couple of dugouts were visible at the side.

It's impossible to pass the memorial without wondering who they were and what happened to them. Did they look back as they crossed the ridge and wonder if they would ever see Verdun again.?

Christina

DSCF1240 (337 x 600).jpg

DSCF1220 (337 x 600).jpg

DSCF1241 (600 x 337).jpg

DSCF1247 (600 x 337).jpg

DSCF1243 (600 x 337).jpg

DSCF1244 (600 x 337).jpg

DSCF1245 (337 x 600).jpg

DSCF1242 (600 x 337).jpg

DSCF1219 (337 x 600).jpg

DSCF1228 (600 x 337).jpg

Where is it Christina? I can't find any reference on the internet in English and a search for la croix d’âne (if the online translator has got it correct) doesn't throw up anything much either. It doesn't mean it's not there of course, just that I'm not seeing it.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
missing question mark issue

There's information about it here:

https://verdun-meuse.fr/index.php?qs=fr/lieux-et-visites/le-monument-des-anes-de-belleville-sur-meuse

It's a short distance uphill from the cemetery. On the most recent IGN battlefield map it's marked with 'Mon' and a white dot. I hope this scan helps. Sorry it's not clearer.

Christina

Donkey cross.jpg

No problem Christina, I know were you mean. It's easy to forget just how steep that hill is.

Pete.

• 4 weeks later...

As it's Remembrance time and we can't be where we want to be - well, I can't anyway - here's a photo of the Ossuary at Verdun I took thirteen years ago at this time of year. 

OssuaryNov07_2.jpg

Now that I love. and I'm very much in accord with Richard. A lot of people describe the tower as being like a shell but when you see it in silhouette it really stands. out.

Pete

Amazing !! 

This thread is the one that will get us through the confinement period!! 

I was just talking with Boyfriend this morning... had there been no confinement, we'd probably have headed down to Plugstreet for the remembrance race; then maybe head over to Ypres to listen out friend's pipe band. 

but now all we're left with are the memories 

11NOV16-195.JPG.293233213cb73046ce6191cc2fafad9d.JPG

I wish I could claim this as one of my own, but it came from the Flanders Fields 14-18 site. I just thought it worth sharing this image of Tyne Cot on this particular morning. I will delete it if you want Pete.

20201111_095636.jpg.d9b12fb07c09284473185d5bd4932a7d.jpg

Don't you dare. Very apt this morning and a superb photo.

Pete.

Early morning winter mist - a special place to be.

Tom

1873359100_gwfTyneCotCemeteryMemorialbw(7).JPG.70b6de1b0030f1ee72c1a921196135ad.JPG

Black and white works really well with that one Tom, if it was in colour it wouldn't be much different. Thanks for posting it.

Pete.

Nice one, Tom! 

B&W is always the ticket, but I find it works best on German cemeteries... or rather the other way around... German cemeteries just work better in B&W... 

I'll find you a proof on my other external disk tomorrow... don't want to go down right now... 

M. 

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

B&W is always the ticket,...

B&W is undoubtedly far better at getting across the sombre aspect of a war cemetery, but also, as with the one of Tyne Cot above, they are often taken at a time and in conditions that allow you to be alone - your thoughts completely undisturbed. It should also be noted though that you can often get almost the same sort of atmosphere at places like Tyne Cot at the height of summer - if you visit at 9 or 10 o'clock at night. Here is another winter shot >

915111602_gwfbw1werrgv.JPG.1d57aed3374ab08d6138550783dc701c.JPG

Tom

• Admin
1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

Nice one, Tom! 

B&W is always the ticket, but I find it works best on German cemeteries... or rather the other way around... German cemeteries just work better in B&W... 

I'll find you a proof on my other external disk tomorrow... don't want to go down right now... 

M. 

Laventie German cemetery 

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

Chilly winters' day >

671405821_gwfbw2dfghghbfd.JPG.fc9d2d4d11e7a16d10b0482cb0b17d7f.JPG

Tom

8 minutes ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Here is another winter shot

Is that the London Cemetery at High Wood Tom? The fog makes you concentrate on the cemetery itself, I looked at the one of John and Jennie's solo trip to the cemetery yesterday and my eye is always drawn towards Bazentin Le Petit on the horizon beyond the trees. John has taken some excellent foggy shots himself, there's one somewhere of Delville wood which is very atmospheric too.

Pete.

2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

is that the London Cemetery at High Wood Tom? The fog makes you concentrate on the cemetery itself, I looked at the one of John and Jennie's solo trip to the cemetery yesterday and my eye is always drawn towards Bazentin Le Petit on the horizon beyond the trees. John has taken some excellent foggy shots himself, there's one somewhere of Delville wood which is very atmospheric too.

Yes that is London Cemetery at High Wood - my favourite cemetery. I often take a break when working at the nearby billet and have a coffee and a sandwich up there, and have a wander up to my granddad's unit memorial at the side of High Wood (79th Foot). My grandfather was with 1st Bn when the original memorial was erected and dedicated. The cemetery was originally very small and was in fact completed c/w Type A1 Cross etc before the decision was taken to use it as a concentration cemetery - that latter part being everything from the building on towards Bazentin.

John also posted some time ago some very good photos of the London Cemetery building with High Wood in the background with an extremely heavy frost covering.

Tom

39 minutes ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Yes that is London Cemetery at High Wood - my favourite cemetery

I have a soft spot for it too; I went back and looked at all the ones I have taken over my last few visits and I do concentrate on the horizon rather than the cemetery itself. Because you can see Montauban across the dip between Caterpillar Valley and the Bazentins, I took a closer look and I am sure that I can see a faint smudge which is Quarry Cemetery, although as I might be imagining it. I think Caterpillar Valley is my favourite in the vicinity because I have an interest there and the view is superb.

Pete.

18 minutes ago, squirrel said:

Delville Wood.

I may have to get a hot water bottle, what with all these frosty shots....