Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

a few from this week.

one of our locals, set up a track a ccs, ligny sur canche

ligny sur canche.jpg

Thiepval from the drop down to Mouquet Farm

thiepval.jpg.bd6bd931b6068e44bed8b3a4d7aaac68.jpg

Edited by chaz

from Vimy over to Lens

1507251692_lensfromvimy.jpg.d33fc1ac46470e27253103fe8a25d6a0.jpg

10 trees cemetery 20200714_152521.jpg.396d1713296b4342341315dddb9ce143.jpg

from Caterpillar Valley to Thistle dump

20200713_133609.jpg.b53f44f8af7498bdc0ced5ecbe5d8a7a.jpg

then over along the valley, Longueval out of shot on the right.

20200713_133657.jpg

Martinpuich cemetery

20200713_135631.jpg

Terlincthun from the road

452439129_fromroad.jpg.225bf3aeebe4e1ef834a5cb37b4f43bb.jpg

Edited by chaz

Liking these Chas; much appreciated. I've been past a few of these, particularly Martinpuich but never gone in. Nice to see Knotty's cable outside Caterpillar Valley is still in place, the weather looks very good.

Pete.

22 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Nice to see Knotty's cable outside Caterpillar Valley

Splendid👍

Edited by Knotty

I would have tried to take a picture without it but I was covered in thunderbugs, that was wednesday, driving back today sunday, I was still itching despite showering and changing clothes, they must have been in the car.

59 minutes ago, chaz said:

I was covered in thunderbugs

I'm not sure I want to know what a thunderbug is; it sounds like something out of a 50's B movie creature feature. Your commitment to contemporary battlefield photography is all the more admirable for their malign presence.

Pete.

I see Wiki calls them Thrips, but with my eyesight they just look like little lines about 4 or 5mm long, annoy like hell, crawling all over that you can feel , we had them years ago living in the country when farmers spread chicken sh!t over their fields as it was cheap manure from the breeding houses locally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

3 minutes ago, chaz said:

I see Wiki calls them Thrips, but with my eyesight they just look like little lines about 4 or 5mm long, annoy like hell, crawling all over that you can feel , we had them years ago living in the country when farmers spread chicken sh!t over their fields as it was cheap manure from the breeding houses locally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

Gawd they sound bloody awful!

Great pictures though, Chaz. 

20 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

...Nice to see Knotty's cable outside Caterpillar Valley is still in place...

Pete.

??

1 hour ago, horrocks said:

??

Far back in the thread there were a series of photos of High Wood taken from the entrance to Caterpillar Valley cemetery; nearly all of them had the cable in them. Knotty was particularly nettled by its presence, and we instituted the Knotty Award for Awkwardly Placed Battlefield Utilities which infringe Photographic Excellence. Dai actually managed to expunge the Caterpillar Valley cable using the magic of photo enhancement technology. It was ripping schoolboy fun at the time, although describing now it seems to drain off some (if not all) of the humour........B)

Just out of interest have you ever found the perfect vantage point only to find an incongruous street lamp or overhead cable in the composition? Or would you go for post production enhancement?

Pete.

P.S. I think I would give the award to Tom for his one of the Guards Memorial with the monstrous wind turbine above it.

11 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

11 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Just out of interest have you ever found the perfect vantage point only to find an incongruous street lamp or overhead cable in the composition? Or would you go for post production enhancement?

Yep!

1456161927_IMG_1450-DivisionalCollectingPostCemetery-Copy.JPG.712c2659389b7c773e15ac9d60bec976.JPG

That’s a nice moody shot of impending storm, if only a lightning bolt travelled down that bloody pylon, it would be worthy of an entry into the Photo of the Year competition 🤣🤣🤣

18 hours ago, frev said:

Yep!

If I may make so bold Madame F which cemetery is that? It looks so familiar. Take your point about the pylon, but it's a good sky.

Pete.

6 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

If I may make so bold Madame F which cemetery is that? It looks so familiar. Take your point about the pylon, but it's a good sky.

Pete.

You may make as bold as you like Mr Fab.....(you know the rest!) - it's the Divisional Collecting Post Cemetery - taken from La Belle Alliance Cemetery (Belgium)

Cheers, Frev

6 hours ago, frev said:

it's the Divisional Collecting Post Cemetery - taken from La Belle Alliance Cemetery (Belgium)

Yet another cemetery that I was unfamiliar with; if I were a betting man I would have said somewhere in Picardie. That area of the salient is 'there be dragons' country for me. I'm not even sure I've crossed it, which is remiss of me because my maternal grandfather was in the area during the latter stages of 3rd Ypres. AND it is the manor of A. Sercu and the legendary Madame Sercu.....

I will have to design an route for a long walk round the area when some sort of normality returns. Hope things are ok down under.

Pete.

Well it's not WWI... but sometimes one cannot chose.

Yesterday after my mandatory duty as EXO here in Marche I just took my marching out for a spin. Not in Nijmegen, unfortunately, but from the barracks walked to Hotton and then back via Verdennes and Marenne.

so: Hotton War Cemetery had a little visit.

hotton1.jpg.8e666169b4e910c31ac8469b68820bfa.jpg

hotton2.jpg.d418eada416c0a7be49a0ea7b096495e.jpg

Pics taken with cell phone… had Nothing else on me.

M.

12 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Well it's not WWI...Pics taken with cell phone…

I doubt if it is a court martial offence, and your phone takes good pictures AND it doesn't need a trailer to carry it. Now I look Hotton up on the new CWGC website (:thumbsup:) is that it is in a region called Luxembourg. As a place name you could drop it down in Yorkshire and it wouldn't look out of place. Very interesting.

Pete.

Luxembourg is not a region but a province (also a country but not the same thing)

Hotton is one train stop from Marche en Famenne. I followed the "ravel" (bike trail) up to Hotton and then the heights of Marenne down to the "fond des vaux" and back via town center of Marche en Famenne. 26km in total. Really really nice…

M.

On 07/07/2020 at 21:09, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Hello Pete - Quarry at Montauban is a favourite of mine - the friends I'm staying with are just a couple of kms over the horizon just right of the cemetery in the view above. The view below is early 1920's looking in the other direction. My photo today was taken from about where I've put the red cross below. Architecturally its also an interesting site. Originally the flat frontage which was actually built was a far more imposing full width semi-circular wall coming out towards the roadway - with an entrance in the centre. The original design also called for a War Stone against the wall to the left as you stand at the entrance and face towards the Cross of Sacrifice, - it was never installed, and I've never found anything in the CWGC archives to explain why the original design was altered so radically.

Unfortunately the great piles of farmer's c**p which now interrupt the whole view of the frontage from the road now appear to be a permanent weed covered "feature". No need for it as there is a huge compacted chalk area on the other side of the track to the fields.

Tom

920389083_QuarryCemeteryMontaubancTT-MorigfromGBcollection.jpg.03209e925f327590cb7b5392e78d932a.jpg

This is an absolutely amazing photo.  I have an ancestor buried in there.  We have a photograph of his original wooden cross somewhere, this might send me down a new rabbit hole to find him in this photograph. 

Edited by LittleOwl

43 minutes ago, LittleOwl said:

This is an absolutely amazing photo.

Welcome to the forum LO; I think it's remarkable too, for me it's about the landscape as it was but to have someone buried there is special. Hopefully you will be able to pick him out.

Pete.

2 hours ago, LittleOwl said:

This is an absolutely amazing photo.  I have an ancestor buried in there.  We have a photograph of his original wooden cross somewhere, this might send me down a new rabbit hole to find him in this photograph. 

Hello Pete. Have you ever visited the cemetery ? The topography is now quite altered from the 1920's photo as the quarry to the right (as you face the front of the cemetery from outside) has long-since been filled in and the ground now rises away from the cemetery wall.

Who was the casualty relative + would it be possible to have a copy of the original wooden cross photo ?

Also curious how it came about that your first post on this forum related to a rather obscure post of mine ? - Just curious - I'm a curious sort of person

Tom

3 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Welcome to the forum LO; 

Thank you for the welcome.  I've spent years trying to find out what happened to him and stumbled upon this forum and your photo. 

Edit: From the map of the cemetery and visiting twice, we can see where he is.  We will always remember our RFA grandad.

Edited by LittleOwl