Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

"Y" Ravine, this afternoon.

Tom

637066503_YRavine30-6-2020.JPG.bff6e46a573e07357f29d3fbf2fe1904.JPG

Same gentleman in 2013... 

353099406_SommeWalk271.JPG.133e066801a64cfe0e059255f5bdbce7.JPG

Scotland.....in the land of her ancient ally and comrade in arms......La a'Blair s'math n Cairdean

A wonderful reminder Tom and Marilyne, thank you.

Pete.

33 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Scotland.....in the land of her ancient ally and comrade in arms......La a'Blair s'math n Cairdean

A wonderful reminder Tom and Marilyne, thank you.

Pete.

I have one of the Ballantynes miniatures of the memorial in my office >

https://www.balwalk.com/51st-highland-division-memorial-beaumont-hamel-somme-bronze.html

Its an impressive bit of kit.

Tom

41 minutes ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Its an impressive bit of kit.

Hard to argue with that Tom, big or small. And to put the big one in a little bit of context this is one of the intrepid Mr Kerr's (@Steve7) aerials of the park, showing the ravine rather well. Steve, hope you don't mind me showcasing your head for heights again..........

989354602_SommeaerialYRavineNewfoundlandPark.jpg.cdae60d88f13ef86e4467681fb4e8b7f.jpg

wouaou !!

Great pic!!

2 hours ago, gilbo139 said:

don’t think I’d be safe with a drone

You and me both matey; yours gives you that sense of the steepness which is still there. You can see it on some of the old aerials from the time when the sun is low.

Pete.

6 hours ago, Marilyne said:

wouaou !!

Great pic!!

If you've never seen Steve's photos it's worth checking out his website. His Youtube channel is a must too for the microlight footage and the drone stuff. If you search for his posts as Steve7 you also get a good selection.

Pete.

P.S. So that's how you spell wouaou...:thumbsup:

Edited by Fattyowls

It's great to have both perspectives imo.

Excellent stuff, chaps.👏

The Newfoundland Park sequence reminded me of what happened 104 years ago today. The field just above Steve's aerial photo is over towards where the 2nd South Wales Borderers attacked Y Ravine; one Albert White from Kirkdale attacked with them and survived the day. He'd also survived Scimitar Hill at Sulva Bay the previous year, but wasn't so lucky the following May, near Monchy-le-Preux in an action for which he won a posthumous VC. This post from two years ago contains a reminder of what the ground looked like then, there is another thread somewhere about mortar pits in no man's land which is also fascinating, or would be if I could find it......

Pete.

.....putting quotes around "Y Ravine" reveals this, originally posted by Jay W.....

Pete.

Fascinatinger and fascinatinger, Pete! 😊

16 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Fascinatinger and fascinatinger, Pete! 😊

Isn't it, hmmm?*. It is apt on this date of course but I am fascinagt faccineted fascineded intrigued by how this thread returns to the Somme periodically from further afield.

Pete.

*other Ron Manager phrases are available.....

Its great looking at this thread, particularly as it’s difficult to get there at the moment....I’ll add a couple more of Newfoundland Park from Nov. 2016 .....

EC39B91C-5B6D-402A-A497-AA72296710FD.jpeg

AA5A167E-27F5-4D0D-BD80-BD0F6F00B050.jpeg

4 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

Its great looking at this thread, particularly as it’s difficult to get there at the moment

There is some epic stuff which is certainly helping me. Looking at yours makes me think that the next time I'm there I'm going to walk around the perimeter and take photos without the trees. The park is lovely and poignant, but the trees seal it off from the rest of the landscape which makes it hard to understand what happened. Or it makes it hard for me to understand what happened at any rate.

Pete.

Visiting in November means an early visit to the Three Pigeons.......this was the best I could do on the way back to  the hotel....

CE2E1760-254D-420E-B130-F4AD9498A586.jpeg

After reading Lyn McDonalds’  Somme In the 80s I’ve been a regular visitor here...

C5CE3EC0-2876-4912-B8E1-1E6EB26EA497.jpeg

43B13329-B258-4DDC-AC49-7F567DD4C270.jpeg

Nice nighttime shot of the Virgin, we need to remember that poise of the statue, it was down on its side once before! 

Dartmoor  Cemetery I believe. On my wife’s side she has a Kings Own buried in Beuvry Communal Military Extension, killed 9/4/1918 at Givenchy in the same action as his commander 2nd Lt Joseph Collin won his  posthumous VC.

If you don’t mind me asking are you from that neck of the woods, and now an honorary Worcs. man🙂

Quick apology for taking thread off line😁

Edited by Knotty

Bull's Road today - an unusually cold and very very quiet 1st of July.

Tom

1589943161_BullsRoad1-7-2020(1).JPG.8cef31edada6166c3b34811f97360f5d.JPG

This evening - You'd have thought they could have found a more scenic place to put their Divisional Memorial

Tom

1061195102_GuardsMemorial1-7-2020.JPG.d83c9c46e54fc410a1a8247bafa07840.JPG

4 hours ago, Knotty said:

Nice nighttime shot of the Virgin, we need to remember that poise of the statue, it was down on its side once before! 

Dartmouth Cemetery I believe. On my wife’s side she has a Kings Own buried in Beuvry Communal Military Extension, killed 9/4/1918 at Givenchy in the same action as his commander 2nd Lt Joseph Collin won his  posthumous VC.

If you don’t mind me asking are you from that neck of the woods, and now an honorary Worcs. man🙂

Quick apology for taking thread off line😁

No Worcester born and bred......just can’t stop returning to Great Grandads grave at Grove Town and spending a few days walking and cycling the area ..previous grave photos were....Dartmoor Cemetery , Becordel Becourt! 

BA384E90-D6C4-4691-829A-B93A1A58E859.jpeg

Edited by gilbo139
Added info