Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

Struggling to compress from my old RAW stuff, hope it makes approval, and if you have a magnifying glass you can just pick out the Vimy Memorial to the right of the Crassier.

88A85C4B-E4ED-47FC-A8A9-98778C63F556.jpeg

Edited by Knotty

On 19/06/2020 at 14:40, depaor01 said:

Thiepval from the Ulster Tower, July 2008

Dave, am I correct in thinking that was your first sight of the memorial on your first visit? I'm always intrigued by what people photograph when they first visit sites; I can remember the first time I went to Thiepval but haven't a clue where the photos are. Your one has a clarity which mine nearly all lack, probably because I'm thinking about the machine gun positioned to fire down the sunken lane, the stupendous view across the Ancre valley and which ice cream to have. This is the second of those items (and the first of the comedy panoramas)...

391978569_MillRoadPanoramic.jpg.52ec0e55f14f6135a2d998edcd7708d5.jpg

• Admin

Two views of Thiepval, taken July 1st 2015, the first with Lochnagar, the second one from Mesnil Chateau 

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

• Admin

Montauban church from Caterpillar Valley, July 1st. 2015, one of the hottest days on a battlefield I can remember. 

IMG_1983.JPG

Loving these distance shots Michelle, and also the panoramas chaps.

• Admin

Taken during a storm at Louvencourt, June 2015

IMG_1987.JPG

• Admin

A few more Somme shots 

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Loving these distance shots Michelle, and also the panoramas chaps.

On the first point I am in total agreement; Michelle's eye for an interesting photo is superb. I'm just playing name that Cross of Sacrifice with these. As to you loving the panoramas I'll soon put a stop to that.

Pete.

• Admin

And Villers-Bretonneaux July 2015 

IMG_1988.JPG

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

On the first point I am in total agreement; Michelle's eye for an interesting photo is superb. I'm just playing name that Cross of Sacrifice with these. As to you loving the panoramas I'll soon put a stop to that.

Pete.

I seriously doubt that, mate.😉

13 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Montauban church from Caterpillar Valley, July 1st. 2015, one of the hottest days on a battlefield I can remember. 

By coincidence I was walking the battlefield four days before and know exactly what you mean. Caterpillar Valley was a haven of shade having walked from Martinpuich past High Wood to Longueval.

My version of Montauban from Caterpillar Valley.

763597253_MontaubanfromCaterpillarValley.JPG.677f686eb52f1d70992dada1a169d1d2.JPG

Just now, neverforget said:

I seriously doubt that, mate.😉

Trust me on this one Mr P. I will rise (or more accurately descend) to that challenge.......

• Admin

That was a hot visit that year Pete, we hadn't by then got our summer bike gear and were suffering, also the BMW has a full fairing. We've yet to take Giovanni  the Guzzi over to the battlefields, but should be cooler as it's not got the barn door fairing like Bertha the BMW. 

IMG_1986.JPG

Serious wheels Michelle; is the new one faster or better designed for personal cooling (or both)?

Just to follow up my homage to my favourite Somme cemetery, this is the view looking back the other way from where we had come with Martinpuich church in the centre right and the London Cemetery in front of High Wood on the far right horizon. Despite the heat it was a beautiful day in a lovely landscape; it's easy to forget that the two cemeteries contain just 20 shy of 10,000 graves, with another 1,205 names on the Caterpillar Valley New Zealand memorial.

2014108651_CaterpillarValley2.JPG.c81f1e6de9947e8b7ec9603e5030dd9d.JPG

• Admin

Mr Y modelling the summer wear. Giovanni is better suited to getting up tracks to cemeteries. Yet to be put to the test 

0DBB91AC-0B37-4C56-9425-FDFB6CF455DA.jpeg

1 minute ago, Michelle Young said:

Mr Y modelling the summer wear.

Im indoors is looking like Patrick Stewart's better looking younger brother. Cool or what. As to the wheels I think the tracks of France and Flanders will be quaking......

Pete.

• Admin

Mr Y at Caterpillar Valley. We have “adopted” the unknown RWK as he might be Albert Allen. Photo taken July 22nd 2016, 100 years since Albert was killed somewhere around Wood Lane 

F291A774-A2E4-468F-9520-933B1419A1D4.jpeg

407F539A-CC92-4811-98D3-2D69BBD3384D.jpeg

The only thing that marred the idyllic shade and contemplation of the sobering statistics of Caterpillar Valley and the London cemetery was a bit of alien abduction.....1368916823_AlienAbduction.JPG.9b09b7e31644993cec2991937fe3b0b2.JPG

What is it with Caterpillar Valley and heat, the times I have been there it is always sweltering. This shot was taken at about 9:00 in the morning temp was already 23°C peaked during afternoon high 30’s and a thunderstorm of epic proportions.

DSC_1799a_stitch.jpg

oops... missed two pages worth of discussion... but I loaned my external disk to a colleague... she needs all the pics I made for and about the Bn... so all I have now, talking about long shots, is this, taken beginning of the year on the War Memories Walk in Zonnebeke... that was when the world was still going well... 

D94A0011.JPG.3333320f3a17e1ffb70b0bd672c0d755.JPG

Michelle, I love your pic in the rain... remembers me of the tour in Italy..

M.

Edited by Marilyne

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

What is it with Caterpillar Valley and heat

I know exactly what you mean - one of the alternative views I considered of Montauban from the cemetery was taken at the beginning of September 2013 when the temperature was in the 30's.

Pete.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering/concerned about the outcome of the Caterpillar Valley alien abduction episode, the abductee, a Mr Charles R Gilbert of Chicago, Illinois was returned safely to earth within milliseconds in Earth time. He had no recollection of being taken on a guided tour to the outer planets of the solar system as far out as the Oort cloud, but as Einstein teaches us the closer you get to the speed of light the slower time moves.

• Admin

Not a great photo, but this is looking towards Caterpillar Valley from Thistle Dump during an epic storm 

IMG_1992.JPG

3 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Not a great photo

The prospect of being soaked to the skin or struck by lightning is always likely to infringe your photo composition. I can't frame a photo properly in perfect weather conditions; you've got lots of credit in the bank of fine photography today so I for one aren't going to get all snippy about it.....

Pete I don’t know wether you have noticed, but Michelle hasn’t got that bloody cable in her shots, it’s just me and you then😂😂

You read my mind matey; I've just looked at the one I posted in 363 and the cable is visible. Whenever I go there it will always be the Knott bl**dy irritating cable, and I will be inspired to keep it out of picture. That Michelle has avoided it is testimony to her skill, with a bit of assistance from the inclement weather.

It's kind of ironic that I was trying to move the focus of the thread away from the Somme, and then spent much of the morning posting photos of one small (but lovely) bit of it. If I were a better or nicer person I'd be contrite.......

Pete.

P.S. If Dai looks in he may eradicate it (it was him that 'improved' your one first time around, if memory serves....).

Edited by Fattyowls

14 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Dave, am I correct in thinking that was your first sight of the memorial on your first visit? I'm always intrigued by what people photograph when they first visit sites; I can remember the first time I went to Thiepval but haven't a clue where the photos are. Your one has a clarity which mine nearly all lack, probably because I'm thinking about the machine gun positioned to fire down the sunken lane, the stupendous view across the Ancre valley and which ice cream to have. This is the second of those items (and the first of the comedy panoramas)...

391978569_MillRoadPanoramic.jpg.52ec0e55f14f6135a2d998edcd7708d5.jpg

Yes first time and first glimpse. I do enjoy taking unfamiliar views of familiar places in general.

Revisiting my photo I wonder how many men lie under that wheat.

Dave