Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

I remember that view.

One last one, this time the aforementioned June 7th crater.

20200612_122056.jpg.7b00a33a9e693f5afabbb71ace43c2d8.jpg

Going off track whilst perusing, I can remember taking this simply because of the pattern the German graves form. I think it’s the German cemetery at Aubérive, which lies to the rear of the French cemetery at Le Bois du Puits, as I have not written down any information😡

DSC_0151.JPG

Mr Owls...with the current situation, you might be getting a slapping from the mods with your signature. 

regarding the Vis en Artois memorial, last time we were there someone had walked right the way from entrance to back right step with a hand grenade and left it there. gord knows where they got it from, it still had mud on, but to carry that far and leave it there....madness

26 minutes ago, chaz said:

Mr Owls...with the current situation, you might be getting a slapping from the mods with your signature. 

A very astute observation Chaz; the very thought occurred to me this morning when my responsible grown up mentioned it. I am actively thinking of an alternative.....

The Faubourg-d'Amiens Cemetery, Arras.

20200612_132824.jpg.0fb9fbc5d4ef3902d02914921e4e7251.jpg

With the Flying services memorial therein,  seen from outside

20200612_132903.jpg.89be008f09989b3f4637ef4beb6a8f5c.jpg

And from inside 

20200612_132846.jpg.df24ba0e6e9c9b67825c18395ccff277.jpg

13 hours ago, chaz said:

cant remember which, but there is a cemetery near Albert that has the headstone of a reverend outside of the cemetery extension where the other soldiers are buried

The headstone is that of the Rev'd Donal Vincent O'Sullivan in Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery, just beside the entrance to the British Cemetery Extension.

Tom

927010835_BouzincourtCommunalCemeteryandExtensioneaaa(7).JPG.782fd4c86562eeefc832aed15079143e.JPG

13 hours ago, chaz said:

Berles Position, usually some debris around here.both sides of the road.

berles position from road.JPG

berles left.JPG

Hi where is Berles Position?

Tony

https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/61802/berles-position-military-cemetery/

there are 3 cemeteries around Berles, also Hannescamps area 

the cemetery is a short walk off the road on the small footpath on the right side of the first picture, walk along to the far side of the small wood and turn left down behind to the cemetery. parking is on the verge on the side of a single track lane in a dip so care has to be taken. Also , with off road parking(read field) and the footpah being between two fields it can get slippery and muddy.

Edited by chaz

Tom, thats probably the one, most of the pictures we had around the area were on the small laptop we had stolen. will have to go back around them again.

couldnt remember it being in the surround though

12 hours ago, chaz said:

Tom, thats probably the one, most of the pictures we had around the area were on the small laptop we had stolen. will have to go back around them again.

couldnt remember it being in the surround though

Chaz - the Rev'd Donal Vincent O'Sullivan in Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery is the only chaplain that I can think of buried in the circumstances you describe "close" to Albert. Given the CWGC historical record for the cemeteries at Bouzincourt I've often wondered why there are burials in both the communal and IWGC sections. I expect that cannot now be explained.

Tom

This is a moody/badly exposed* photo from a vantage point that requires a lot of stairs to be climbed. I think of it as the heart of darkness for the French in WW1.

*delete as appropriate.

1439090646_MeuseHightscropped.jpg.5972fd582da54e3c801fc417404b8675.jpg

been too busy at home the last days to be able to follow anything... shame on me. 

To add to all those existing, here's my take on Vimy... I DO NOT CENTER... 

612918050_Vimy-Arras082.JPG.e04a953c485806e5909a32e5281bbf0b.JPG

and this is the pic i currenyl have on my desktop... ,

D94A0320.JPG.ba8d7b4959e6d778215d8ca0b413474f.JPG

@neverforget: when was that pic of Faubourg d'Amiens taken??? 

I'm hitting the road again on 29/6 ...  need more pics... LOL 

M.

1 minute ago, Marilyne said:

been too busy at home the last days to be able to follow anything... shame on me. 

To add to all those existing, here's my take on Vimy... I DO NOT CENTER... 

612918050_Vimy-Arras082.JPG.e04a953c485806e5909a32e5281bbf0b.JPG

and this is the pic i currenyl have on my desktop... ,

D94A0320.JPG.ba8d7b4959e6d778215d8ca0b413474f.JPG

@neverforget: when was that pic of Faubourg d'Amiens taken??? 

I'm hitting the road again on 29/6 ...  need more pics... LOL 

M.

Hi Marilyne. All the photos I have put on were taken in July 2016. My son and I had a few days over there to mark my 60th. 

OK... I thought they were older... 

M.

To continue the looking back the other way theme using my black and white one of Cote 304 and the Mort Home with the Meuse heights above Verdun on the far horizon from a few posts ago. This is a view of the vantage point from over to the left horizon on my one. Posted on the forum by Nigel (@nigelcave ) who I hope will forgive me reproducing it from this thread. This is the reputedly impregnable Montfaucon from the other side of the river Meuse above Brabant and Consenvoye.

1053549193_MontfauconenArgonnefrom316thRegimentMemorialaboveConsevoye(NigelCave).jpg.b8684cbca053862fb8caacee382e491c.jpg

Edited by Fattyowls
Meuse side village spelling outrage

Having apparently brought the thread to a complete halt by posting something about Verdun perhaps we should return north for a while. I'd be very interested if anyone had the looking the other way view - this is the site of the Hindenburg line near the village of Fontaine-les-Croisilles (there should be an accent over the e in les) in the right middle distance. The ridge behind which Tunnel trench, made notorious by Sassoon and Richards ran is over to the left out of picture and Monchy-le-Preux is on the right centre horizon. One I'm reasonably pleased with which is rare.

63719988_FontaineMonchy.JPG.2fcecc1b2a727a1d0b908862570237fb.JPG

55 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

there should be an accent over the e in les

Press (and keep pressed) the Alt key and type 0232 on your numeric keypad old chap ;)  It's Alt and 0233 for the other one!  That's what happens when you have an address on the rue de Péronne!

I've no more photos to add at the moment Pete.

1 minute ago, Don Regiano said:

I've no more photos to add at the moment Pete.

Worry not matey; you have gone above and beyond the call of duty and as it is I have called in the cavalry. As for the accent over the è that is seriously helpful. I usually look it up in the extensive library and cut and paste. Givenchy-lè-la-Bassé will give me something to practice on. Unfortunately I haven't got a landscape photo to post despite being very interested in the area.

Pete.

Some photos I took in 2018. Caesar's Nose (Welsh Cemetery) near Ypres. Taken for purely personal reasons as my great uncle was mortally wounded in the fields beyond, but buried at Mendinghem. And yes, he was a bugler.

Sue.

DSCN0201.JPG

DSCN0196.JPG

DSCN0200.JPG

DSCN0214.JPG

Nice photos and a good story Sue, thanks for posting them. I don't think I've come across a bugler before, I don't know why.

I don't know the northern end of the salient at all, despite finding that my maternal grandfather served there in the autumn of 1917, and being a big fan of @Aurel Sercu and an even bigger fan of the legendary Madame Sercu. The landscapes seem typical of so much of the salient, smaller fields than further south with the often moated farmhouses. And small, very personal cemeteries.

Pete.

14 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Having apparently brought the thread to a complete halt by posting something about Verdun perhaps we should return north for a while. I'd be very interested if anyone had the looking the other way view - this is the site of the Hindenburg line near the village of Fontaine-les-Croisilles (there should be an accent over the e in les) in the right middle distance. The ridge behind which Tunnel trench, made notorious by Sassoon and Richards ran is over to the left out of picture and Monchy-le-Preux is on the right centre horizon. One I'm reasonably pleased with which is rare.

63719988_FontaineMonchy.JPG.2fcecc1b2a727a1d0b908862570237fb.JPG

Great picture, Pete.

On Verdun, the more pictures the better as far as I am concerned. I haven't been there, or seen nearly enough pictures.

Being one of the lesser travelled to the Western front, I'm afraid that I have very few pictures to offer, but here is another of Vis-en-Artois, and one of the much photographed Langemark: I'm sorry I don't have more to contribute. 

20200618_122428.jpg.fc8ef40142a7a3e60a52cb3c4d8f806f.jpg

20200618_122456.jpg.275b5e3b2634afa8a190b1ebbdb00848.jpg

Edited by neverforget

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Great picture, Pete.

Thanks Steve. Interestingly it was supposed to be the spot where one of mine fell, but I'd got the location all wrong. It is a feature called the Hump on the trench maps but did turn out to be exactly where somebody else's relative was killed so I was able to use it. That little bit of 'stralia, Bullecourt is just the other side of the hump behind the viewpoint. I was roughly two miles from where I should have been, roughly where the rightmost wind turbine is in this one. Tunnel Trench ran along the reverse slope and there are still concrete remains of the outpost line on top of the ridge.

228777741_WestfromtheHump.JPG.4fddd203ed96997a0894507b45e3a6a1.JPG

Edited by Fattyowls
Klingon grammar

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

On Verdun, the more pictures the better as far as I am concerned. I haven't been there, or seen nearly enough pictures.

Even if mine were digitised I don't think that there would be that many to post. The Verdun battlefield is nothing like it was then; trees have obscured all of the sight lines so you visit say the Mort Homme or Cote 304 and you could be in any evergreen forest anywhere. You get no sense of why it was fought over; think Hill 60 at Ypres. Today the views from there are obscured by trees, but look at the contemporary photographs and it dominates the surrounding area. The Verdun battlefield is almost all like that. The best photos I have of it are from postcards and photos from the 20's when you can still see the ground.

Pete.

P.S. Don't worry about not having many more to post; that's what you have mates for.

30 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Even if mine were digitised I don't think that there would be that many to post. The Verdun battlefield is nothing like it was then; trees have obscured all of the sight lines so you visit say the Mort Homme or Cote 304 and you could be in any evergreen forest anywhere. You get no sense of why it was fought over; think Hill 60 at Ypres. Today the views from there are obscured by trees, but look at the contemporary photographs and it dominates the surrounding area. The Verdun battlefield is almost all like that. The best photos I have of it are from postcards and photos from the 20's when you can still see the ground.

Pete.

P.S. Don't worry about not having many more to post; that's what you have mates for.

Thanks Pete. 

I did come across these two on a site of which I am a member. First, a pile of bones which were gathered from the battlefield and were ultimately destined for the Ossuary, and another, location unidentified, with Germany in the distance. If you want me to delete them I will immediately do so, as I didn't take them myself, and don't know who did.

20200618_141413.jpg.88963652fc74f2ccf89b7bab2cc5c9d0.jpg

20200618_141338.jpg.449ac1efc693176d9cd6295b806d6a19.jpg

That bottom one looks like the machine-gun turret on top of Fort Douamont looking towards the Woëvre Plain, I have taken one from somewhere in that vicinity, you know what I am now going to be doing...doh!