Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

23 hours ago, JWK said:

Now I want you go along and find yourself a soldier you feel connected to

That is a coincidence JWK; when I first went to Langemark many years ago I chanced upon a man buried there called Peter Johansen or Johannsen. That would be the translation of my name into German. I've felt connected to Peter ever since, though I've never rediscovered his grave.

Pete.

10 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Nice light Tom, I take it Great Uncle Jack is one of the headstones? If I was being picky I'd say that there aren't any Dolomites in shot, but you can't have everything.

Pete.

Actually Jack is in another part of the cemetery, I just liked the light and colours of this part. And if it's Dolomites you're after,  maybe this will do?

IMG_7526.JPG

• Admin

The very lovely Templeux Le Guerrard Communal Cemetery Extension 

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

• Admin

Noeux Les Mines Communal Cemetery Extension and Fouquieres Churchyard  Extension, lovely Lutyens attention to detail 

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

• Admin

Very much off the tourist trails, here's two seldom visited places. Trefcon and Drummond cemeteries,

IMG_1941.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

• Admin

A few from the days when I did regularly visit the Somme. The Khaki Chums on the horizon taken from the valley below Lonsdale Cemetery in I think 2000, and at Devonshire Cemetery in 1996, taken from 35mm photo scans 

IMG_1964.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

• Admin

And a couple from a 2007 Salient visit. 

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

• Admin

The Khaki Chums at Loos September 25th, 2005 

IMG_1967.JPG

On 05/06/2020 at 23:07, Fattyowls said:

Colour for me dramatic though the b&w is; good clouds too.

Pete.

I always take the view that once you've committed to B&W, much better to stick with it. Posting the colour version too is a kind of cop out, and it distracts.

I hope you don't mind my saying that JWK, sir. It is a lovely photo.

Edited by horrocks

Some beautiful photos on these pages. Marilyne's Menen Wald interior is a bit of a stand out for me.

1 hour ago, horrocks said:

Marilyne's Menen Wald interior is a bit of a stand out for me.

Thanks !!! 

M.

3 hours ago, tomisitt said:

And if it's Dolomites you're after,  maybe this will do?

That will do. Just. Have you done any other France and Belgium stuff, or are you strictly Alpine?

Pete,

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

taken from 35mm photo scans 

Did you scan the prints or do the negatives with a bit of photographic jiggery pokery? I'm thinking of getting a lot of mine digitised "when this is all over"*. I've got a load from Verdun and the American battlefields but they are all 35mm.

Some lovely rare cemeteries in yours too.

Pete.

P.S. Among the bunch of uniformed chaps on the steps up to the Devonshire cemetery a very young Sgt. Gillingham T?

*If I could somehow get copyright on that phrase I would be a very very rich man.

4 hours ago, gilbo139 said:

Rifle House

That's a nice angle, I like the Ploegsteert Wood cemeteries but I found them hard to photograph. No change there then.........

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

That's a nice angle, I like the Ploegsteert Wood cemeteries but I found them hard to photograph. No change there then.........

Pete.

I know what you mean!

317A56D3-9FD7-48FA-A843-F4FFD8B91C21.jpeg

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

That will do. Just. Have you done any other France and Belgium stuff, or are you strictly Alpine?

Pete,

I’ve done a lot of Western Front stuff. I’ve been to Flanders and the Somme on numerous occasions, and cycled the length of the Western Front for a book I wrote (Riding in the Zone Rouge). The only parts of the WF I haven’t visited are Loos and Mons. I like my battlefields wild and deserted so I find French sectors, like the Argonne, Verdun, St Mihiel and the Vosges, more to my liking. And that’s also why I find the Italian Front so interesting...the more unchanged it is, the better I like it.

12 minutes ago, tomisitt said:

And that’s also why I find the Italian Front so interesting...the more unchanged it is, the better I like it.

you want some Italy... here you go ... 

1796733317_Asiago164.JPG.1588f98cdac0bc8fce8abb9f559908cf.JPG

I went up to the Asiago PLateau in 2014, in between the marches in Arenzano and Seefeld, just a few days of walking around and visiting the cemeteries over there... the owner of the hotel thought I was nuts ... 

Especially as the weather forecast was not the best... proof being: 

1390201162_Asiago130.JPG.777bd3bf3a8ad6549572c1413419b7c0.JPG

M

PS: Tom, I LOVED your book about the cycling tour!! 

Thanks Marilyne, very kind of you to say so. The Altopiano is a strange place, isn’t it? There’s an other-worldly feel to the place, and the people. My Grandfather was there with the 48th Division and I spent a couple of days exploring, thankfully in better weather than you had. 

1 hour ago, tomisitt said:

I’ve done a lot of Western Front stuff. I’ve been to Flanders and the Somme on numerous occasions, and cycled the length of the Western Front for a book I wrote (Riding in the Zone Rouge). The only parts of the WF I haven’t visited are Loos and Mons. I like my battlefields wild and deserted so I find French sectors, like the Argonne, Verdun, St Mihiel and the Vosges, more to my liking. And that’s also why I find the Italian Front so interesting...the more unchanged it is, the better I like it.

I'd completely forgotten about your book; clearly I was mixing you up with another Tom Issit. Doh!

But I know what you mean; I remember following the route of the taxis of the Marne out from Charles de Gaulle airport and once you were over the low ridge to the east it became remarkably quiet. There is a monument almost within earshot of the runways which marks the closest that the German cavalry got to Paris in 1914, but I can never find it on Google Earth. We found an overgrown French cemetery from 1914 which looked as though nobody had visited since, well 1914. I remember coming back from Verdun on that trip across country and going something like 45 minutes without seeing another car.

Pete.

• Admin

You won't see many visitors at Loos Tom. 

8 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

The Khaki Chums at Loos September 25th, 2005 

IMG_1967.JPG

7.0am July 1st 2006 Old Beaumont Road.  7.20am waiting in the Sunken Lane.

Somme29th June -5th July 2006 072.jpg

Somme29th June -5th July 2006 081.jpg

Toronto Avenue Cemetery

Ploegsteert.jpg.7ad1f546c8809e229e98c70c15e81001.jpg

and view of Plugstreet Wood. Did not feel "senang" there (= felt uncomfortable). The sticky, jelly-like mud (it had rained the day before) did not help either.

Ploegsteert1.jpg.6ed907eed9032da14c76d36d5639291f.jpg

Mentioned this before but as I left the woods a long eared owl was sat on a barbed wire picket. Would have made a great photo but the camera had been put back in its case !!!!  Toronto from another angle .....

95D519C3-9F96-476B-BA91-C6C4C3716200.jpeg

• Admin
23 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Did you scan the prints or do the negatives with a bit of photographic jiggery pokery? I'm thinking of getting a lot of mine digitised "when this is all over"*. I've got a load from Verdun and the American battlefields but they are all 35mm.

Some lovely rare cemeteries in yours too.

Pete.

P.S. Among the bunch of uniformed chaps on the steps up to the Devonshire cemetery a very young Sgt. Gillingham T?

*If I could somehow get copyright on that phrase I would be a very very rich man.

Just scanned on a flat bed scanner. 

Yes and that is Taff @Chief_Chum