Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

• Admin

More Somme, Pozieres, Serre2, Hawthorn no 1 and Gordon Dump 

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1994.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

IMG_1997.JPG

Ayette is indeed the one I am thinking of Michelle; I've passed it several times on the way to and from the Somme battlefield while staying in Arras. I think of your angles as not so much weird as wonderful. I think the last but one one is Beaumont-Hamel and the Scots memorial at the bottom of the sunken lane but I could be very wrong. I'm further confused by the spire on the horizon, at first it looked like the golden Virgin in Albert but I'm very disorientated by this one.

Pete.

• Admin

Notre Dame de Lorette and the Anneau de la Mémoire and Mont St Eloi taken from Cabaret Rouge.

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Ayette is indeed the one I am thinking of Michelle; I've passed it several times on the way to and from the Somme battlefield while staying in Arras. I think of your angles as not so much weird as wonderful. I think the last but one one is Beaumont-Hamel and the Scots memorial at the bottom of the sunken lane but I could be very wrong. I'm further confused by the spire on the horizon, at first it looked like the golden Virgin in Albert but I'm very disorientated by this one.

Pete.

I was stood at Hawthorn  Crater when I took it Pete.

4 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

You might be thinking of the Ayette cemetery Pete? Noyelles is beyond Abbeville 

Absolutely correct Michelle. My schoolboy error was not reading the top of Dave's post. What part of Noyelles-sur-Mer didn't I understand.......Doh!

In a slightly different form of the looking the other way theme this is the ramparts by the (hidden) Menin Gate looking across the moat to NF's window viewpoint. One of the street lamps qualifies for the John Knott Caterpillar Valley Cable award for inappropriate street furniture in an otherwise fantastic and historic view (NF's, not this one). We could start a separate thread and have a (virtual) awards ceremony......

1964767329_MoatfromtheRamparts.JPG.f35f1a60b718407975a002ffa36269c3.JPG

Edited by Fattyowls

6 hours ago, tomisitt said:

Fascinating geology all along this front.

I'm trying to look at that photo without getting a nosebleed. I think I'll explore the geology of the Alps from the comfort of my office if it's all the same. Just as an aside do you get any sense of the air thining on the wartime mountains? As if bullets, shells, avalanches, sheer drops and sub zero temperatures weren't enough.

Pete.

19 hours ago, neverforget said:

The gate, with a moody sky, as seen from our apartment. 

oh…. so THERE you live… good to know, hope you'll be cheering us on next time there is a four Days of the Yzer end ceremony at the gate !! We'll wave a flag of two…

M.

18 hours ago, depaor01 said:

Noyelles Sur Mer.

That's on my way for The Girl's Tour in July…

M.

9 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

oh…. so THERE you live… good to know, hope you'll be cheering us on next time there is a four Days of the Yzer end ceremony at the gate !! We'll wave a flag of two…

M.

I wish!

With any luck though, I will be staying there again someday. A perfect base for touring, and couldn't be handier for the Last Post ceremony, oh, and St.Arnoldus of course. 🍺🍺

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

That's on my way for The Girl's Tour in July…

M.

Beautiful location. 

14 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I'm trying to look at that photo without getting a nosebleed. I think I'll explore the geology of the Alps from the comfort of my office if it's all the same. Just as an aside do you get any sense of the air thining on the wartime mountains? As if bullets, shells, avalanches, sheer drops and sub zero temperatures weren't enough.

Pete.

You do notice the air getting thinner above 2500m, and things become noticeably harder above 3000m. Having said that, different people cope with altitude in different ways. I’m guessing artillery calculations need to be adjusted for these altitudes, too.

14 minutes ago, tomisitt said:

You do notice the air getting thinner above 2500m, and things become noticeably harder above 3000m. Having said that, different people cope with altitude in different ways. I’m guessing artillery calculations need to be adjusted for these altitudes, too.

The more you think about it the more difficult it becomes. Thanks Tom.

Just to return to how lovely the moat and ramparts of Ypres are this is a bit further up Hoornwerk by the bridge, with the Sint-Niklaaskerk though the trees. You can just see the bridge by the gate, and that irritating street light (with two of it's mates) which infringes the excellence of NF's unusual view of the Gate in 388 above. Although on closer exception it might not be one of those three.....

1302696523_Ypresramparts2.JPG.397553247b7ff3f06668e92786713f9d.JPG

And looking back the other way, the bridge.2109296977_YpresMoatandBridge.JPG.a35e0d4c17cc919a8c2a8ea10eedaf3c.JPG

It wasn't always this scenic however. This is one of Eddy Lambrecht's collection of postcards he posted on the forum, the gate before and after......

1768278405_MeninGatebeforeandafter(EddyLambrecht).jpg.ee443260fb25a1f227d4a4f9499c1ab3.jpg

And it got a bit knocked about in the more recent unpleasantness; this view is from 1940 which I found on www.royalscotsfusiliers1940.com.

978192443_MeninGate1940(www.royalscotsfusiliers1940.com).jpg.3c7f9ce5eba34a79c4f794931bfe7193.jpg

• Admin

Lone Tree, September 25th, 2015 

IMG_1999.JPG

Another tree. The Danger Tree, at the Newfoundland memorial park.

Reputed to be the original tree that marks the spot in no-man's land that the Newfoundlanders reached on July 1st.

Again, this is taken from a site of which I am a member, and the photographer is unknown. 

20200622_165220.jpg.30474ad615e912a7cbde1e767a1daec2.jpg

14 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Just to return to how lovely the moat and ramparts of Ypres are....

And looking back the other way, the bridge.2109296977_YpresMoatandBridge.JPG.a35e0d4c17cc919a8c2a8ea10eedaf3c.JPG

And looking back the other way at same bridge....

IMG_0260.JPG.734109ccb3d502ca8ed914090b2c7ee0.JPG

Ramparts Cemetery, Lille Gate...an idyllic resting place...

IMG_0274.JPG.6e0df0106665279924bdc3abe53ae9e3.JPG

A cracking addition to one of my all time favourite bit of 17th century forifications of all time; thanks Frev. To complete the set, here's the bit in the middle.....

1048538679_Moatcroppedabit.jpg.129a4b82f6f664dc99e217053ebd2f07.jpg

• Admin

More ramparts, Le Quesnoy. Stormed by the New Zealanders  on November 4th, 1918. 

IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG

Good stuff Michelle, Vauban's fortifications played a role in several places. I have some inaccessible ones of the citadel at Verdun, but to make it a hat trick for Sébastien le Prestre here is the chilling and sombre Mur de Fusillès in Arras......

175473478_MurdeFusillesattheArrasCitadel.JPG.13304dce02102b65c39f0a855b7bd2ad.JPG

13 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Good stuff Michelle, Vauban's fortifications played a role in several places. I have some inaccessible ones of the citadel at Verdun, but to make it a hat trick for Sébastien le Prestre here is the chilling and sombre Mur de Fusillès in Arras......

the Mur des Fusillés is on my list for next monday, when I'm done at the archives in Arras…

M.

2 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

the Mur des Fusillés is on my list for next monday, when I'm done at the archives in Arras…

We went one evening last time I was there after visiting the memorial at Faubourg d'Amiens and the gates were shut; I assume it will be open during the day. It is a very powerful place for lots of very bad reasons. I've been a couple of times and would think twice about going back. I'll look forward to the pictures as ever.

Pete.

7 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

M.

I think the memorial is open from 2 until 7, otherwise you can look through the gate or down from the ramparts.

Martin

good to know!!

Thanks!

M.

31 minutes ago, tootrock said:

I think the memorial is open from 2 until 7, otherwise you can look through the gate or down from the ramparts.

Martin

Appreciated Martin; I think the photo I posted above was taken through the gate. Although it's not WW1, the plaques showing name and political affiliation and the starkness of the stake make going in a must. I will be interested in Marilyne's take on the atmosphere, and everyone elses. Because I have a lot of interest in the Arras Memorial to the Missing I think I will be back there. It will be interesting to see if I feel like going in, if I'm around between the hours of 2 and 7 of course.

Pete.