Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

London Cemetery Extension yesterday

Tom

1711037654_gwfrtbgLondonCemeteryExtension9-7-2020(1).JPG.0245856309458555596ab80ce16bb75c.JPG

1838130764_gwfrtbgLondonCemeteryExtension9-7-2020(2).JPG.f257ed723ddd42666951078d59eb888d.JPG

On 09/07/2020 at 17:27, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Guards Cemetery Lesboeufs today

110352836_gwfrtbg(1)guardscemeterylesboeufs9-7-2020.JPG.df6dd6feebb47af792bb0a7f6843fc14.JPG

Envious.  One of the most beautiful cemeteries in my opinion.  Looks like you had some sunshine too. 

Bray Vale and Grove Town today. Within three minutes of arriving at Bray Vale the Jean-Dammes arrived - that's been happening for maybe three years now - get anywhere near the Eads Airbus runway off a main road and the police appear almost instantly - must be some strategically placed CCTV.

Bray Vale is a very impressive piece of architecture in toto and the area about the cross at Bray Vale is very cleverly done. I wonder how many visitors these two ever get ? Not many I'd guess.

Tom581815431_gwfbrayvaleP1110888.JPG.6551eb87dd431b9365eeec46246c5aee.JPG

587880099_gwfgrovetownP1110898.JPG.147a42b8e46dd4fae47a21813b488b3d.JPG

Edited by Tom Tulloch-Marshall
question mark added

what are the odds???

These two stones in Terlincthun one behind the others bear the start and the ending of the Exhortation... D94A1278.JPG.5024bad61682e3cb546c094adaa31135.JPG

M.

On 08/07/2020 at 12:08, Fattyowls said:

This is brilliant Tom; I've had a virtual explore of the area using a mixture of greatwar360.com, various photos of mine and some I found on the forum which has been an eye opener. This one is an old favourite of mine, posted by Tim (@8055Bell) who I know has a special interest in the Triangle Point area. I looked again at Tim's photo and there is the cemetery; I'd never noticed it before, and I've looked at the photo many times. I think my eye is always drawn to the horizon and the woods. Martin Middlebrook recommends the viewpoint in his his Somme guide and I've worked out a route to walk the whole are on my next visit. I'm starting to realise how much I follow convention and these these places are on the road not taken. These posts are changing my view all the time.

Pete.

467924620_TimsTrianglePointatMontauban.jpg.0354ccf549f1867b829895a74429f00b.jpg

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the credit. This a special place. Tim

28 minutes ago, 8055Bell said:

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the credit. This a special place. Tim

I hoped you might look in to see Tom's photo of the cemetery as it was. While I was looking for other photos of the area to see if Quarry was represented I chanced upon one you'd posted on New Year's Day 2013 which was marvellous. It's the best one of the area by far.

Pete.

Thanks Pete,

I think Tom's image is looking north, but not sure. I really like the original photos. This is my favourite view of Triangle Point with little angels, who are now all grown up.  They keep going back every now and then.

Tim

19 minutes ago, 8055Bell said:

I think Tom's image is looking north, but not sure. I really like the original photos.

The photos I have posted are as near as make no difference on the North - West line - the modern photo looking towards the SE and the 1920's photo looking towards the NW. Note that the topography on the SE side of the cemetery has changed dramatically since immediately post-war - the old quarry has not only been filled in but the ground level has been raised very substantially, to the point where it threatens the SE perimeter of the cemetery. The piles of c**p between the cemetery frontage and the road are completely unwarranted and seem to be a deliberate act of vandalism by the farmer.

An interesting area in the modern photo is the sunken lane on the northern side towards Bazentin-le-Grand. As far back as I can remember that has been overgrown and unpassable. What secrets does that hold ?

Tom

1 hour ago, 8055Bell said:

This is my favourite view of Triangle Point with little angels, who are now all grown up.  They keep going back every now and then.

Tim, mine too. It's interesting that the grown up angels go back there; are they interested in the family history or do they like the scenery? Or both of course, since they are not mutually exclusive. Either way I think we have the makings of a Friends of Triangle Point and Quarry Cemetery group somewhere in cyberspace.......

1 hour ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

What secrets does that hold ?

Item 1. on the agenda for the inaugural meeting of the Friends of Triangle Point and Quarry Cemetery? When you say overgrown is that having to climb over vegetation or does it require power tools? Today's photos are again cracking by the way.

Pete.

While we are in the greater Montauban metro area as they might say across the pond this is another favourite I believe taken on the continuation of the lane back towards Maricourt. Hats off to @unitedsound for the original posting.

Pete.

7 hours ago, horrocks said:

Quarry Cemetery, Montauban, 2013

Gorgeous as ever Toby; 2013 seems to have been a vintage year for photography in the area. You really get the sense of the slope up to the ridge which I'd never really grasped having only ever looked the other way from Caterpillar Valley. Incidentally I spotted Rommel when I was looking at the graves register to see if there were any King's Liverpool in the cemetery.

Pete.

I think the blended image is the Seaforth Highlanders marching back to Maricourt in mid July 1916. The 17th Manchesters sheltererd in this sunken lane whil they waited for the barrage to lift on Montauban.  I find these old images incredible and even better when a clever person colourises and superimposes on the contemporary place.  Here's a few more pics of the area Then & Now    including some Germans going the wrong way back up the sunken lane on 1st July 2016.  There's also some great 1916 images on my site from the Regimental Archive & IWM. 

The little Angels don't always choose to be back in Triangle Point, but they've never complained yet. They understand the significance to me and my Dad; to some extent their G Grandad.  The little one (now 18) was once wounded at Triangle Point - falling off the bank- and treated at the Dressing Station in the Longueval Cafe with Elastoplast & Ice Cream.

Guards at Lesboeufs again

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I wish my Coldstream great grandfather lay at Lesboeufs instead of at that horrible White House cemetery, though I do understand that St Jan is nearer to where he fell.

I just feel that White House is a most unfitting site. I was very upset at finding him in that particular location. It lacks any kind of sensitivity and is overlooked by office blocks and the like. No kind of sanctuary at all.

21 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Item 1. on the agenda for the inaugural meeting of the Friends of Triangle Point and Quarry Cemetery? When you say overgrown is that having to climb over vegetation or does it require power tools?

It is extremely overgrown - almost "jungle standard" - even way back in the day, when we were actually energetic, we never ventured into it. Any kind of "looking" would be a major task and yes, tools would be needed.

Tom

Pozieres memorial yesterday. Structure is fascinating, not only above ground but below as well >

1379125292_gwfpozieresP1110925.JPG.88cc5d7d9a846eb50ff966348c1f240e.JPG

And just up the road the most awful desecration of the battlefield in some time. Truly dreadful. Why on earth have the commune allowed this monstrosity ?! >

1400024598_gwfwindmillP1110929.JPG.37f6e52fabf73557a72314452df3c901.JPG

15 hours ago, 8055Bell said:

Elastoplast & Ice Cream.

My kind of first aid Tim.

13 hours ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

And just up the road the most awful desecration of the battlefield in some time. Truly dreadful. Why on earth have the commune allowed this monstrosity ?! >

It is indeed beyond awful. Tacky doesn't begin to describe it.

spacer.png

The Guards Memorial on the Hogsback. 'Bim' Tennant was killed a few feet away from this spot.

Pigeon Ravine, yesterday. Predominantly Wocestershires from 29th September 1918 - just six weeks away from the end.

One of many cemeteries designed by William Harrison Cowlishaw - marvelous piece of architecture.

Tom

274550257_gwfpigeonravineP1110949.JPG.172eda3fe81527e27c408dccd8a5fa37.JPG

8 hours ago, horrocks said:

It is indeed beyond awful. Tacky doesn't begin to describe it.

fully agree !! 

visited wednesday because my sister wanted pictures... 

It's not really ONE monument, is it?? it gives the idea that they could not choose betwseen the various ideas they had for a monument and just randomly put some stuff together. Taken individually they're ok, but put together... 

The animal's memorial in Hyde Park now, is a whole other matter!! 

M.

There have been a number of postings relating to Mill Road Cemetery in Thiepval. This is an unusual viewpoint taken just after the trees had been cleared from in front of the Thiepval Memorial, and effectively looks along the German fire trench, with the cemetery just in view on the horizon. Mill Road CWGC is of course itself laid upon the German front line. The vantage point gives a very clear impression of the manner in which the German system curved around the mid-slope facing Thiepval Wood, and of the facility with which the German machine gunners in this sector could fire into the backs of the men of the 36th (Ulster) Div as they advanced towards the German line & the Schwaben Redoubt beyond.

spacer.png

Edited by horrocks