Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

good morning,

I live no far away to the Loos "Tower bridge" ( 50 meter).

I don't where your picture taken.

maybe betwen the post Office & the Library.

personally I would have said the entrance of the no. 5 well at Grenay not far from the machine gunners' house (47th London Division on 25th sept 1915).

michel to Loos

• Admin

View from the concrete and one of the squares 

FA04936B-DBB0-432F-BDF3-FB468AD6D878.jpeg

9E0F82A3-3D52-4B5F-BEC5-57CA856B1B54.jpeg

The last photo corresponds to one of the pillars of the Tower Bridge.
the miners and the coal went up that way.

regards

Michel

I'm warming to this, so where is this field of potatoes? If anyone wants extra brownie points they might be able to name the German trench system that ran along the horizon and what is to my left and right.

Pete.

image.jpeg.e0a48ebcd3e40f6317643f4e56463593.jpeg

Edited by Fattyowls

The field to the left of the road between High Wood and Longueval.

Trench could be Crest Trench or Switch 

To the left and right ..... more potatoes Or High Wood and Delville Wood

Kind regards

John

10 minutes ago, Frajohn said:

The field to the left of the road between High Wood and Longueval.

Spot on John. I was fortified by your scrambled eggs when I took it on a warm June morning five years ago.  Happy days. The New Zealand Memorial on the crest is just visible above the spuds.

Pete.

• Admin

Is it Eaucourt   L’Abbaye farm? 

Reg, I think you have posted another photo from this vantage point, but turned 90 degrees right. I remember thinking what a lot of poppies..........

Pete.

6 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Is it Eaucourt   L’Abbaye farm? 

No Michelle.  It's only about a mile or so from where Pete took his photo.

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

Reg, I think you have posted another photo from this vantage point, but turned 90 degrees right. I remember thinking what a lot of poppies..........

Pete.

Spot on Pete.

This one might give it away - taken not quite 90 degree right but looking in the opposite direction to the first one:

DSC05720.JPG

The eastern end of the Devil's Wood I'll wager. Nice one. Michelle isn't that far away; I think this is Eaucourt-L'Abbye farm or the trees that surround it and the ruins of the old abbey. The other side of Delville wood is on the horizon and when I enlarged it I think you can just see the spire of Longueval Church on the horizon just to the left of the building in the middle ground trees. If I were to spin round 90 degrees I'd be looking at the Butte de Warlencourt from memory. The photo was taken the late afternoon of the same day that I took the potato photo and I was still fortified by John's scrambled eggs.

Pete.

480308680_DelvilleWoodfromneartheButte.JPG.262a3d479be1de17070d7bfe4420b8f0.JPG

Testing your memory here Pete.

From where is the photo taken, what is the distant feature, and what does the barely visible silver dot (my car) represent?

20201202_202409.jpg.dc47bf453bf4122e4e630c7c6f1bd184.jpg

From memory, an unreliable source at the best of times I think that is the Arras battlefield, or at very least it reminds me of the openness of the fields to the east of Arras. Would the significance be related to Albert, making the woodland the key? I assume that the Plumbmobile marks the German front line if this is anywhere near correct. I'm intrigued that although there were patches of woodland on the Arras battlefield, I can only think of one - Triangle Wood. I could of course be very much mistaken, to the extent of barking up the wrong patch of trees. Or just barking.

Pete.

You're pretty much on the mark Pete. We are looking at Triangle Wood in the distance, from the jump off point of the 5th Ox/Bucks btn on May 3rd 1917. 

My car marks the point of New Trench, which they took from the Germans, and is as far as they got. My uncle Albert is there somewhere along with the majority of his comrades. 

This is a shot taken from New Trench, and shows the German strong point of  Hillside Works which, bristling with machine guns was on their left as they embarked upon their hopeless quest for Triangle Wood. 

A sobering place for me to visit.

20201202_222443.jpg.14caa368feb517bd5e9f6133be5a47a1.jpg

I actually worked that out from memory, although I started searching for the 5th OBLI and spooted (spooted?) spotted your earlier post. The paternal side of my family hail from south Oxforshire where they were horny handed sons of toil; I've often wondered how many of my distant relatives served in the regiment when I see a headstone in a cemetery or a panel on a memorial to the missing. I'm quite pleased with myself for a) remembering and b) managing a whole post without mentioning food, although I have a sudden urge to make some toast.

Pete.

I should have mentioned that New Trench was about half way between their jump off point and their objective, and wasn't known to be there until it was stumbled upon on that morning. 

Well remembered. Must be all that brain food, or cake as it is more commonly known. 😊

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Well remembered

And not forgotten.

Just now, Fattyowls said:

And not forgotten.

As we are trending on French forêts et bois; où sont ces arbres? I can't remember the name of the wood on the right, it's the one on the horizon that is famous. A cheese butty with spring onions is the prize for identifying where I am standing.

image.jpeg.7c52ee3dc8bd911c8d64bfa336dae7c4.jpeg

I can see that this thread is going to become as difficult as "Who is this?" is - at least for me.

Prize on the way to you Pete for spotting Waterlot Farm - a signed photo of Kenny Dalglish.  Hope you enjoy it.

2 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

I can see that this thread is going to become as difficult as "Who is this?" is - at least for me.

Prize on the way to you Pete for spotting Waterlot Farm - a signed photo of Kenny Dalglish.  Hope you enjoy it.

But fun too; to be fair I recognised the poppies immediately. It's an area I'd like to explore on foot; I'm interested in the sight lines down towards Guillemont Road as every time I've visited Longueval I've never got out to that side of the village. I've got the route all planned out.

Pete.

P.S. I actually have a lot of time for King Kenny as a result of Hillsborough, and as I have a lot of chums who support our loveable neighbours I'd be able to find a good home for it. If you could get one of my fellow Crosby residents, an urbane and likeable Italian gentleman that would be preferable.

14 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

But fun too; to be fair I recognised the poppies immediately. It's an area I'd like to explore on foot; I'm interested in the sight lines down towards Guillemont Road as every time I've visited Longueval I've never got out to that side of the village. I've got the route all planned out.

Pete.

P.S. I actually have a lot of time for King Kenny as a result of Hillsborough, and as I have a lot of chums who support our loveable neighbours I'd be able to find a good home for it. If you could get one of my fellow Crosby residents, an urbane and likeable Italian gentleman that would be preferable.

Well, if I had a fiver for every time I've driven past Waterlot Farm I would be a rich man by now.  We tend to do most of our shopping in Bapaume, interspersed with some at Albert and Peronne.  Mainly take the Rue de Combles out of Guillemont to Hardecourt (don't know why it is called the Rue de Combles as it doesn't go there - maybe an anachronism?)  One time I must explore the track on the eastern side of Trones Wood.

Sorry, but the only photos I have are of HK, as a player and manager.

Reg

A clue for my last photo of the swaying cereals with a wooded ridge on the horizon; we were parked outside the home of a famous lady in the area. And I've remembered the name of the woodland on the right courtesy of the CWGC.

And I've used the word cereals, meaning that I've mentioned food again. Obsessed or what?

Pete.

Can I see Trones Wood?

If I can, I'm stuck for vantage point.

11 minutes ago, horrocks said:

Can I see Trones Wood?

Not in this one Toby, I was further to the north east. I can't think of anywhere on the Somme battlefield with quite such an open vista, the wood is two and three quarter miles from the viewpoint. The lady's name begins with D by the way.......

Pete.