Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

I'm stuck, I'm afraid, off of my patch!

I did get Waterlot, but was beaten to the bird.

1 minute ago, horrocks said:

I'm stuck, I'm afraid, off of my patch!

It did cross my mind to try and render it in black and white which might assist, but then if it's not your manor then perhaps that it was critical the following year might help. The viewpoint is close to where one German field gunner passed into legend, although the story is confusing and maybe controversial.

Pete.

Blind guess Pete.

Would you be looking towards the Bullecourt area?

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Would you be looking towards the Bullecourt area?

Your getting closer, and the landscape is much the same but you still need to be further east. The viewpoint gave it's name to a salient after the fighting died down in the snow.

Would it be Mony houy, and the cemetery Ghisshignies?

Perhaps your lady is Marie Drouet, and your viewpoint somewhere around Betheny?

Actually I have made myself look silly here. Thankfully, it's not the first time and almost certainly it won't be the last.

The distance is far too great.

Back to the drawing board. 

This is an example I think of more clues not helping as happens with WiT? It's a good piece of deduction and if silly, then welcome to my world as I've said before. The lady whose first name begins with D is not human, and lives in a converted barn, she has however many friends on the forum. There is a major autoroute intersection tucked away in the middle ground of the photo, and the wood to the right of picture is called Orival.

Pete.

Ah...Dug a redug a dug a redug derug.  

Bourlon Wood?

Absolutely correct Mr P. You can see why it was so important as it dominates the area. If the small woodland on the right is Orival Wood then just the veiwpoint and the lady are outstanding.

Pete.

16 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Absolutely correct Mr P. You can see why it was so important as it dominates the area. If the small woodland on the right is Orival Wood then just the veiwpoint and the lady are outstanding.

Pete.

Not Deborah then. Viewpoint being the tank museum, Flesquieres?

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Ah...Dug a redug a dug a redug derug.  

Edited by neverforget

It is Deborah, but when I read dug a redug etc all I could hear was the theme from Roobarb and Custard, which I now can't get out of my head. I'm still struggling to make the connection and yet again I am sidetracked by food.

The viewpoint is Flesquieres Hill cemetery and Flesquieres became an unpleasant salient for the attacking troops. It was hereabouts that the legendary german field gun is supposed to have knocked out a varying number of tanks depending on which account you read. There's probably an erudite analysis on the forum somewhere, the tankies on here are pretty sharp cookies.

Pete.

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

It is Deborah, but when I read dug a redug etc all I could hear was the theme from Roobarb and Custard, which I now can't get out of my head. I'm still struggling to make the connection and yet again I am sidetracked by food.

Pete.

Subtlety, musical or otherwise is totally wasted on me Mr P. I'm not a fan of T. Rex even though they ruled the Cretaceous, I'm not that era (unless it is the dawning of a new one, courtesy of the Specials).

Pete.

P.S. That artwork is so characteristic of that period, but not necessarily in a good way.

Actually I should have known that they were from an era far before your time young man. There were from my era though, but like you I was never a fan of their music. A bit too glam for my taste. 

Hope I haven't installed an earworm for you, as I unfortunately seem to have done for myself. 🤯

8 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Actually I should have known that they were from an era far before your time young man. There were from my era though, but like you I was never a fan of their music. A bit too glam for my taste. 

Hope I haven't installed an earworm for you, as I unfortunately seem to have done for myself. 🤯

I was in my early teens during their pomp; but at the moment all I can hear in my head is more songs about buildings and food, but then I stopped making sense long ago. I need to find another photo to id before this thread usurps your most excellent musical one.

Pete.

• Admin

The cemetery is Orival Wood. 

19 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I was in my early teens during their pomp; but at the moment all I can hear in my head is more songs about buildings and food, but then I stopped making sense long ago. I need to find another photo to id before this thread usurps your most excellent musical one.

Pete.

Cheers Pete, and by the way you're speaking in tongues that I understand. We very recently celebrated the lovely Tina Weymouth's 70th birthday on the aforementioned thread.

Yes that's right. Her 70th!!

Where does the time go eh? 

In a vague link to tracks where does this line head and which two famous features are up around the bend?

image.jpeg.620676ad253934bd1efa11fea19e8c40.jpeg

Assuming it isn't a road to nowhere, would it take me to the river? The Somme perhaps?

Nope, we are even further away from Toby's comfort zone. What happens to railway lines when they come to modestly sized hills?

Pete.

39 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

up around the bend

I’m surprised Mr P isn’t leading this down the Credence Clearwater Revival  on another thread🤣🤣

Hill 60? only one of two guessed don’t want to make an ar*e of myself

Edited by Knotty

The tunnels at Arras or Vimy?

Far too late to worry about making an ar5e of myself.😁

I would remind the honourable gentlemen of the line in Nick Park and Aardman's epic 'The Curse of the Were rabbit'. It's a case of arson as Peter Kay's policeman puts it. John in quite correct, both on the paraphrase of the CCR song and that the railway line leads up to the cutting between Hill 60 and the Caterpillar. This is taken from Larch Wood (Railway Cutting) cemetery just south of Zillebeke. There's a really evocative contemporary photo looking up the cutting towards the bridge but can I find it in the extensive library? You'll have to make do with the view from the bridge looking back around the bend.

Pete.

2002445836_YpresfromHill60.JPG.3f5539c8875bc222c95b68f32f88704a.JPG