Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

On 15/11/2020 at 12:54, horrocks said:

Forgive me if I'm reposting.

where is that?? 

M.

Delville, Marilyne.

On 16/11/2020 at 16:32, horrocks said:

Delville, Marilyne.

another place I've not been ... yet ... Horrible, I know... 

M. 

On 17/11/2020 at 20:23, Marilyne said:

another place I've not been ... yet ... Horrible, I know... 

M. 

I'm surprised!

Delville Wood is, oddly given its ghasty history, a serene and peaceful place. Nearby Trones is dark, raw and unwelcoming. Mametz Wood can be very hostile, at least until The Queen of the Woods knows you intend no harm.

33 minutes ago, horrocks said:

I'm surprised!

Lack of time... everytime I'm at the Somme or around, I kinda run out of time to see everything. I'd love to spend a whole week out there, but that was possible when "home" was just me and my hamster...

Boyfriend promised me a battlefield-outing of my choice for my birthday ... post COVID, and I've been planning to do that on the Somme... finally going to the southern part; Delville, Mametz, High wood ... 

M.

It's an interesting discussion about the great wooded areas of WW1. For the same reason as Toby I think Delville Wood is a lovely place, but for me the inability to see the wood for the trees limits my interest. The worst example of that is Verdun, Christina's photos on this thread illustrate the way it has taken tree disease to open up vistas which tell you something about the battlefield. I think that the edges of say High Wood tell you so much more than actually being inside. You can get a sense of place and see why they were so valuable as positions.

Pete.

P.S. I have never ventured into Mametz Wood and doubt if I ever will, but if I am close I will nod my respect to the (Queen of the Woods)........

Now I come to think about it I have a soft spot for Ploegsteert Wood and don't mind being inside it, as long as it is spring before the leaves are fully out. There's something likeably scruffy about it, bit like myself hopefully.

1612221003_PloegsteertWood.JPG.af8f52aef771411d5c0d444012a89ba4.JPG

Edited by Fattyowls

waiting for one of the experts I need for the Research Paper to come back to his office for our phone call and looking through some stuff on the computer that needs to be sorted out, stumbled on this pic... did I ever share that with you?? 

1159547527_SommeMAY16redone.jpg.bad53d398f1507da64c1edfdfe0c7578.jpg

Must be May 2016, when I stopped there on my way back from Chantonnay... 

M.

On 18/05/2020 at 16:06, Michelle Young said:

The back of Dud Corner from the approximate site of the Loos Rd Redoubt 

IMG_1469.JPG

Pozieres from a different angle 

IMG_0611.JPG

Just been shepherded here to these photos. 

Great work Michelle.👍

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Just been shepherded here

Does that make me a shepherd? I am reminded of one of Spike Milligna (the well known typing error)'s classic from the Goons. Seacombe - "So your a spy" - Milligan "no I'm not, I'm a shepherd" - Seacombe - "So you are a shepherd's spy". You probably needed to be listening live.......

Arf arf. I love Spike Milligan. Went to see him live at the Bham Hippodrome and he walked on said nothing for a while and had the whole place in stitches. Another case of one having to have been there I suppose.

15 hours ago, neverforget said:

Arf arf. I love Spike Milligan. Went to see him live at the Bham Hippodrome and he walked on said nothing for a while and had the whole place in stitches. Another case of one having to have been there I suppose.

There was a Russian comedian who one day, walked on to the stage in a jacket covered from top to bottom in medals. He said nothing. Then he turned around and the audience saw that he had medals all over that as well. The audience erupted. Everyone knew that this was a reference to Brezhnev who was always awarding himself medals for his part in an action during WW2 that was so small it figured in no action reports at all.

The comedian was warned off by the KGB.

And there was a comedian in Berlin during the war, who said one day, "I saw a Mercedes yesterday, and there was no one from the GESTAPO in it". He was called in and beaten up and told to apologise.

Next night he said, "I was wrong about that Mercedes".

He was sent to a camp somewhere.

After "who is this?" are we turning this thread into a "Where is this?" ... is it in Belgium ??? 

M.

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

After "who is this?" are we turning this thread into a "Where is this?" ... is it in Belgium ??? 

M.

No Marilyne its France

3 hours ago, Marilyne said:

are we turning this thread into a "Where is this?

I'm game for a laugh; Mr S posted one of the site of the Chemical Works at Roeux which was very interesting, I think he is onto something. As for the photo my first impression was that it was the site of the power station built on the area of the brickstacks at Cuinchy, but having had a wander round on Google Earth the entrance looks different.

Pete.

Thiepval Chateau??? 

entrance on the rue de Grandcourt?? 

M.

And clearly not Gheluvelt chateau if not Belgium, yet another place I've visited and failed to photograph, although I did get the two memorials and the edge of the grounds.......

Is your photo north of Cuinchy or south Mr S?

Pete.

It is south of Cuinchy, but how far could be your next question. However note that at the time it was a trip of 1 1/2 days so could not go a long way. It was a famous place.

• Admin

I don’t recall any pave near the Brickstacks site plus that road doesn’t look wide enough or busy enough. Also there were still buildings in existence in the 80s. 
So.... were you somewhere near the Loos Crassier /Tower Bridge? 

That was quite quick Michelle, yes Tower Bridge was behind the gates. My caption written on the back of the photo; Entrance to Tower Bridge Loos looking east March 1982.

BTW we knocked off the silencer in Loos and came back, total distance 400 miles, somewhat noisily....

• Admin

To my disappointment, all that is left now is two large squares  of concrete marking the shafts, and a tiny plaque on each. I had hoped that there might be something more significant!