Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

On 04/12/2020 at 11:35, Fattyowls said:

I'm heartened that you fought the temptation to do some fly tipping Reg, or was the exhaust still attached to the Regmobile? Where was this (so I can avoid in the unlikely event of me driving the Bluesmobile in the vicinity)?

I see you insist on my embarrassing myself Pete!

A couple of years previously SWMBO and I headed for Hill 60 as the last stop on a long day out in Belgium (her great uncle had been there prior to his fatal trip to the Somme).  Basically, we approached from the East but we were thwarted by works which had closed the road.  Being short on time we headed back to the Somme.  On the second attempt, this time with my mate, we approached from the West.  As we approached the railway bridge, I pulled off the road to get my bearings - fortuitously there was no kerb at that point (nest to one of the information boards).  Having sorted out ourselves I wanted to rejoin the road to go over the bridge quickly when there was a lull in the traffic so that I could get  to the car park.  As you know, the road narrows down at that point when going over the railway.  What I failed to notice in my haste was that there was now quite a large drop back on to the road at that point so we had a hell of a landing and the car didn't seem to be very appreciative either!

And you wonder why I prefer the Somme? ;)

near Hill 60.jpg

To assist with the id of my hilltop with added cabling, and also of where I was standing may I summarise and add detail to assist?

• It's not the hill in Michelle's room with a view photo, but it is close by. It appears to be the only one of the range which doesn't have a Walloon alternative, although Marilyne may be able to comment when she finishes her homework.
  • The hill was a viewpoint in 1914 and a hill too far in 1918. The viewpoint was what was being viewed in 1914, but many of the bodies that resulted were not buried until 1917. One of the earlier posters in this thread has written extensively about this.
  • Immediately behind me is a hole, one of several, although 3,980 fewer than in Blackburn, Lancashire. The hole takes it's name from the agricultural habitation rebuilt next to it.

It will be interesting to see if that helps or hinders identification.

Pete.

You are a bit too far south Mr K, if we are thinking about the feature captured and lost in September 1915 during Loos and subsequently captured by the Canadians in 1917, which is almost completely forgotten about (outside our friends in the area) possibly because it was a successful attack.

I know your extensive library (real as opposed to virtual) is, well, extensive. Does it run to a volume called 'Truce: The Day The War Stopped' by a Mr Baker? If so you will find almost exactly the same photo as mine inside, and an excellent and moving description of the events of 1914.

Pete.

P.S. I was going to say that the viewpoint has a direct connection with the photo  the Don posted of where he nearly lost the exhaust of the Regmobile but it is clearly still traumatic for him, so I will keep schtuum.........

• Admin

Are you at Maedelstede (spelling?) Farm? 

I'm never sure of the spelling either Michelle, as with so many of the places in the area, but you are absolutely correct. I have my back to the pond where the farm was in 1914 and I'm looking pretty much due east past the feature visible from the B&B facilities. I followed the link and it looks really nice; I have a long term plan to walk the front from Cuinchy to Ieper and I am sure it was one of the ones I considered for stopping points. I particularly liked the way that the website made a positive feature out of the view from the bathroom.......

Pete.

• Admin

We've stayed there a couple of times Pete, we were the first people to stay in the new Extension. There's a view up to Godezone farm from the garden. 

So we are up at Crater 9 then👍

With regards to the MrB book, I do not have that one, Battle for Flanders✔️and the Battle of the Lys North and South✔️, so if you’re playing at the big man with a beard...Ho Ho Ho

57 minutes ago, Knotty said:

So we are up at Crater 9 then

Which way are you numbering them John? South North? It's not a particularly impressive one in comparison with say Spanbroekmolen but the view from it over Peckham to there is a favourite of mine, when I was last there there were a couple of cute miniature ponies in the field, I must try and remember to take some sugar cubes or an apple next time I go. The hump in my photo is Marilyne's viewpoint for the one she posted. That is the top of the Sherpenberg.

It's worth looking at Chris' analysis of the action there on the LLT; it's under winter 1914 operations if I remember correctly. French and assorted generals watched the attack on Petit Bois and the farm from up there. If there was a more stupid attack in the whole of the war I'd be very surprised, and lets face it there is serious competition. Chris' book is well worth reading.

Pete.

Pete

Mine (see what I did there) are in the general north-south direction , with Peckam as crater 10, then ignoring the abandoned Peckem, and Spanbroekmolen crater would be 11. etc.

I have taken a cursory glance at LLT, and intend to read later on this evening when a certain dance competition is being broadcast.😁

Kemmelberg is only fun when you walk it UP !!! 

Especially that part from the French cemetery up to the monument... some guys even cycle up... insane! 

I like Hill60 but I was a bit flabbergasted couple years back when we stopped there for a coffee on the 4 days of the Yzer march. They definitely did NOT want a group of 15 soldiers from 5 different nations in there for a coffee... 

M.

29 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

They definitely did NOT want a group of 15 soldiers from 5 different nations in there for a coffee... 

It might not have been you guys, it might have been the assorted bears, cats and other cartoon animal mascots that they were unhappy about.....

22 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

It might not have been you guys, it might have been the assorted bears, cats and other cartoon animal mascots that they were unhappy about.....

probably!!! 

M.

Forgive me for butting in and taking things off topic for a second but I have a question to ask, and this seems like a good place to ask it.

I'm hoping to make a revisit to F and F next summer and was would like to take in the Thiepval Memorial as part of it as I never made it there last time. Unfortunately, since the last time I was over that way things have deteriorated somewhat for me and I am now very limited in how far I can walk, especially if there is any form of gradient involved. 

My question is would I be able to access the Memorial on my mobility scooter? I've tried to find out online but can't seem to track down the information I need.

Many thanks.

• Admin

You could certainly visit the visitor centre, but the memorial itself is accessed by steps. There is also a gravel path up to the memorial, which could make it tricky. There’s grass lawns in front of the memorial but I think you would have to negotiate some gravel.

15 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Forgive me for butting in and taking things off topic for a second

Absolutely no problem Mr P.

Thanks both. Steps are an absolute no no if there are more than a dozen or so, and I don't think my scooter would cope with gravel so it's not looking too promising. 

One more question if I may. How close is the parking to the monument ( I can manage to walk maybe 50 yards on the flat) and is access to it uphill?

Here's a bit of Google Earth. Car park top right, the visitor centre is the long rectangle which has a solid path in and out at the back which has a gradient down and then up at the back. The curving track from the car part is flat and leads to the gate and the gravel bit is beyond the house. The lawn in front of the memorial is flat, but there are more than a dozen steps up to the stone at the centre of the memorial. Some of the panels can only be viewed from the steps and the flat bits are split level too unfortunately.

image.png.d43dde5517f220095593bc79f85496da.png

Hi

You can drive quite close to the memorial, probably 75 -100 yards. Depending on the size of your scooter wheels you may have problem on the gravel as it is quite 'loose' in places. If you park 'at the top  you can drive your scooter on the grass to the memorial without any problem and without the need to go on the gravel.  You can scoot around the outside of the memorial and amongst the headstones and the Cross. Unfortunately there are a a number of steps, certainly more than a dozen, they are quite shallow. They are in sections. with a late area in between allowing you to take a break after each flight. The steps are easier around the back.

Drop me a PM if you need more detail.

Just had a thought, the memorial was due to be closed for the most of this summer for more renovation, this did not happen. So, it is quite possible that it might happen 2021.

1 minute ago, Frajohn said:

Just had a thought, the memorial was due to be closed for the most of this summer for more renovation, this did not happen. So, it is quite possible that it might happen 2021.

According to the CWGC website the work has been postponed until 2021 because of Covid-19.

Just seen your post Steve, Theipval is rescheduled for closure from March 2021 until May 2022

Very many thanks gentlemen; I do appreciate your helpful responses; most kind. Knotty's post makes it all academic for next year by the looks of it, which is a real shame as FraJohn's last post really increases my chances, and meant that I wouldn't have had to talk three extra pals into making the journey, and lay out for a sedan chair. 😊

Maybe 2020 then...Thanks again all. 👍

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Maybe 2020 then...Thanks again all.

Our pleasure, but if you have the opportunity for time travel then I would respectfully suggest that 2020 would not be a good year to revisit...........B)