Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

• Admin
10 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I'm with Sly on this one; are you in Flesquieres looking back with a long lens for a trademark Young longshot?

Pete.

Well done chaps. Yes that is Grand Ravine, and I was walking part of the Route Des Tanks from Flesquieres.

14 hours ago, Sly said:

It's a place where he liked to stay 

When I first saw that I thought maybe one of the many places he was wounded, and knowing your location I thought of Guillemont. But if it's not on a battlefield I'm not sure. I'm liking this one Sly.

Yes, so obviously Italy, which confirms the Italian inscription.

He was certainly in Rome, and Venice, I also believe he visited Sicily. No idea which was his favourite place.

Peter

19 minutes ago, Sly said:

And another island too...

I just hope it is one of the Aeolian islands, because 'Il Postino' is my favourite foreign movie and I've always wanted to go there. Don't think it will be though......

Pete.

Yes, it's Sardinia. Ernst Jünger went there for the first time in 1954, before the mass tourism era, and describes the place as « increasinglbly rare in Europe : a place without any connection with the world ». He was struck by the beauty of the place and recounts « magical moments » experienced in Illador (known as Villasimius). He used to stay at the Stella d'oro inn, the first accommodation business created in the town in the 1920's. The inn still exists and has a collection of Ernst Jünger dedicated photos in the lobby.

4 hours ago, Sly said:

Yes, it's Sardinia.

Tres bien Sly. Bonne Année.

Pete.

Poor quality but has sentimental value because I found it amongst my Dads things......I think I’m right in thinking this memorial is no longer in this location.photo taken about 1946. 

B64FBF47-7069-4388-BD04-ADD11C8C1EE5.jpeg

Edited by gilbo139

• Admin

Is it the 20th Div memorial at Ginchy? 

You can discount the Western Front......however I’m hoping the words my Dad wrote on the back are correct......I’ve googled a few things and I think he’s got the right memorial!

Was your dad returning from the far east in 1946, Mr G? I think my dad must have passed it in early 1946 too. Egbert is the man to turn to for contemporary photos.......

Pete.

3 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

That was pretty quick Pete

Not like me at all really, it was the sand that made me think of it. I've been pretty quick today, I was told I made a wise decision on Tuesday, and last week I was right about something. I may need to go and lie down.

Pete.

Have to say Egberts  picture is so much better than Dads but given that Dad wasn’t on a cruise and was an air mechanic on an aircraft carrier with a camera he’d borrowed from my Grandad I’m not complaining, he’s got some great shots of Hong Hong and Ceylon just after the Second World War but that’s for another forum .....Happy New Year.....let’s hope we can be active with the lens this year.....

5 minutes ago, gilbo139 said:

let’s hope we can be active with the lens this year.

A fine and noble hope Mr G, and here's hoping that you and SWMBO can again take to the lanes of Picardy on two wheels. This thread has given me a huge list of photos to redo properly, starting with some from the Messines ridge where the various mine craters aren't obscured by bushes......

Pete.

Where's this then?

810422273_WhitesheetfromStEloicrater.JPG.fe725ff5909081011aff85668a80598e.JPG

37 minutes ago, mebu said:

Not sure why

Because you are a sharp cookie Peter, that's why. Right, I want the location, the viewpoint and the year the pond formed. Extra brownie points for the obvious WW1 element of the photo too.

Pete.

P.S. While we are at it who do we need to contact to put forward a new word? Messinesish? Whadyathink?

Edited by Fattyowls
Formatting merged threads

Sly 

Just to say you forgot to mention the barbed wire screw picket visible on the right of the photo, that’s if you want brownie points😁

John

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

barbed wire screw picket

Here's one of a few pickets still being used for fencing duties.  I spotted them when I was walking from my friend's house which is adjacent to the field.  I didn't take a photo so this will have to do.  Easy place to identify.

picket.jpg