Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

2 hours ago, Old Forge said:

Spot on, Knotty!

If there is a cake as a prize can I have a slice for being in the correct vicinity? This is the viewpoint from the 7th Division memorial on the ridge. I think the agricultural structures at the bottom of the slope to the left used to be called Retaliation Farm. A very good debut Richard.

634867011_Zonnebekefrom7thDivMemorial.JPG.4efc609472d1dc9d8884ca96fdb4a64f.JPG

Fattyowls - of course - and you were right in the zone. Maybe a pint if we're ever allowed out of the basement!

Richard

• Admin

As my last one was too easy, how about this one? A nice bit of flint for you PeteIMG_2008.JPG

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

A nice bit of flint for you Pete

Too much attractive scenery brought out by the black and white and not enough flint for my taste. I don't think it's the Lys valley given the slopes but beyond that I'm struggling. Cambrai area possibly?

Pete.

• Admin

Lukewarm Peter, there's a memorial to the missing not too far from this cemetery. 

14 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

As my last one was too easy, how about this one? A nice bit of flint for you PeteIMG_2008.JPG

Valley Cemetery-Vis en Artois?

Richard

4 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Lukewarm Pete

That pretty well sums me up at the moment, pre-second cup of coffee. Inanimate would have been the word before the first. If the lads are correct, and knowing your fondness for the memorial I think they are I'll have to add it to the ever growing list of places to visit; just to check out the wall construction and flint content of course.....

Pete.

• Admin

The lads are indeed correct 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

The lads are indeed correct 

Great photo Michelle. I wonder if the tree was there when the cemetery was started or if planted by CWGC?

Richard

Just to return briefly to the original theme of the thread does anyone have a photo of the eastern German side of the Messines ridge in the vicinity of the village? I was thinking along the lines of Jim's one of Passchendaele in the wet looking from the eastern side. I can picture the scene from memory but didn't photograph it, a schoolboy error.

I'm contact with the family of a man called Jack Corlett who left an eyewitness account of the events of 7th June 1917. He dug in to the eastern side of the village following it's capture and I wanted to illustrate the landscape for the family. There are a couple of photos that have already appeared in the thread of the more familiar western side of the ridge which are much better than mine, I'll contact the artists in question for permission to use them separately.

Pete.

1 hour ago, dickaren said:

Great photo

P.S. I think so too, I'm not normally a big fan of black and white but that is a nice composition in quite a complex landscape.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

so not wanting to rub it in... but I finally got to get back to the front this WE !! 

We're not limited in our movements in country, but with the course and everything, it's been a while. So when the Club in Pops organised its Hoppelandtocht, it was the ideal moent for the marching Team to meet up for the first time in very long for some kilometers to march together. 

19km round track brought us to Nine Elms Cemetery, where I took a couple of pics with the small Sony Alpha. Not much but it was so good to be back. 

DSC05247.JPG.dc2e4e09ec2465f2613befaa3f95663c.JPG

DSC05267.JPG.e4bbb5b84b3e6f3bbc2a0a3a06a881db.JPG

DSC05276.JPG.fce3066eaee5cc607d30d19110605ffd.JPG

M.

1 minute ago, Marilyne said:

Not much but it was so good to be back

They look good to me, thanks for posting them.

Pete.

Ilse copied down the interesting graves, which I need to x-check for information somewhere this week. 

First of course there is Dave Gallaher, the All Blacks player, there are two shot at dawn victims (McFarlane and Nisbet) but also a couple of underaged soldiers: 15-year old Canadian Pvt Oulton and 16 year olds pvts Lindow and Routledge. 

DSC05252.JPG.17815c24c2b8087d587316959186cbf5.JPG

DSC05254.JPG.47294007d5cccf04abb4d5aece659153.JPG

DSC05262.JPG.8be40281d23f3d3ba44762a380b52b1c.JPG

Will do some searching about them ... but first need to go back to our Land Paper... 

M. 

On 13/04/2021 at 19:38, Fattyowls said:

They look good to me, thanks for posting them.

Pete.

you're welcome. 

By the way... Facebook just reminded me... THIS was 6 years ago... your work I think... 

10553903_626371297507935_6721260523632858212_o.jpg.99b255922c7f161d84ccf43f0a6bd7a6.jpg

2 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

your work I think

I had the supervision of a grown up to take that one. Strangely it feels a lot longer ago than that now, although my hair is now just as long due to the lockdowns......

Pete

Thinking back there was another highlight of the stop at Ploegsteert apart from getting to fire the old rocket launcher.........

1981523885_andicecream!.JPG.92013d62d62af656daecc1d7e0c033af.JPG

and ice cream!.JPG

CWGC may have got it wrong.  There is nothing in the Canadian service files of Oulton or Routledge to suggest 15 and 16 at time of death.

Oulton would have been 17 years, 10 months, and Routledge 20 years.  Still very young.

9 hours ago, Marilyne said:

you're welcome. 

By the way... Facebook just reminded me... THIS was 6 years ago... your work I think... 

10553903_626371297507935_6721260523632858212_o.jpg.99b255922c7f161d84ccf43f0a6bd7a6.jpg

I ought to post this in the Things we want to know thread bu,t for a long time, I've wondered why do Belgian number plates all begin with the number 1 .... and when are they changing to number 2?

I got the 1- number when I bought the Tank on the pic ... that was 2012. So we've been at it for 10 years or something like that. 

And the first 2- numbers came out end of last year. 

M.

While everyone rummages virtually through their hard drives and cloud storage for a view of Messines from the eastern side what happened here in 1914?

IMG_1870.JPG.08040b6ebcafd411d702dd53bac86a43.JPG

2 hours ago, Marilyne said:

I got the 1- number when I bought the Tank on the pic ... that was 2012. So we've been at it for 10 years or something like that. 

And the first 2- numbers came out end of last year. 

M.

OK Marilyne, thanks - I get it now.  It seemed to me that the 1 was a bit superfluous as all the cars seemed to have it.  Mind you, our system is a bit mind-boggling.

Reg

As a small clue to my snap above this is the road less travelled, in all sorts of ways.....

Pete.

On 13/04/2021 at 23:36, Broznitsky said:

CWGC may have got it wrong.  There is nothing in the Canadian service files of Oulton or Routledge to suggest 15 and 16 at time of death.

Oulton would have been 17 years, 10 months, and Routledge 20 years.  Still very young.

they may, but they are not. 

Clifford Oulton was born in december 1901, enlisted at 15 and died in november 1917, which makes him one month away from his 16th birthday - technically still 15 - when he was killed. 

https://www.albertcountymuseum.com/news/2017/9/30/lest-we-forget-william-pearl-cole-killed-in-action-100-years-ago-today-10-30-1917-3abr8

268036695_CliffordOulton.jpg.9cf380757ffc8c48421e20242bb7b530.jpg

Robert Routledge followed his father into enlistment, in December 1915. his attestation papers in the Canadian archives put his birthdate at 1st august 1897 (18years) but he was certainly younger than that, as can be easily seen on the picture. So I tend to believe the 16 put forward by the CWGC. Robert's father Harry survived the war and will certainly have made sure the information was correct.  

https://www.therooms.ca/sites/default/files/routledge_robert_715500_1.pdf 

18979817_Robertroutledge.jpg.62c4d0a79f8c8ba7df608a3a0e976f81.jpg

M.

I will agree on Oulton:  the June 1911 Census shows a Clifford Oulton, born December 1901, aged 9 for that Census date.  Having said that, I have known both a census and an article written by a local museum to be incorrect at times.  New Brunswick Vital Statistics does not have a birth certificate for him.

I will disagree on Routledge:  the 1911 Census shows a Robert Routledge born June 1898, aged 12 at time of census.  So, that makes him 19 at time of death and not 16. 1898 would fit with an apparent age of 17 at time of enlistment as indicated in his records. His AP shows August 1, 1897 as dob, which has to be false.  None of us know for certain if Harry Routledge was contacted to provide an age.  Newfoundland Vital Statistics are not available online to confirm.