Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

Got it. Vlamertinghe. The gates are in memory of Clement, the Mitford sisters' uncle who was killed at 2nd Ypres in 1915. An excellent post Michelle, how are we going to follow that?

Pete.

• Admin

Well done. The full photo 

A8834403-1B3E-40B4-BDD7-528AA50C0F38.jpeg.7aa88a2d183a8a32e9e18d79ee69b0b6.jpeg

23 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Got it. Vlamertinghe. The gates are in memory of Clement, the Mitford sisters' uncle who was killed at 2nd Ypres in 1915. An excellent post Michelle, how are we going to follow that?

Pete.

Well done Pete, Good detective work.

Richard

2 hours ago, dickaren said:

Good detective work

I've got a particularly good batch of coffee beans in at the moment; the Rwandan dark roast ones should take the credit. I was convinced that you or your namesake would beat me to it so I had to concentrate for a change.

Pete.

On 08/06/2021 at 21:56, Fattyowls said:

Pete.

wow... great detective work... I'll pass there tomorrow for good measure... I actually read the Mitford sisters mysteries by Jessica Fellowes... not bad. 

M.

Greetings from the Salient!

20210615_091655.jpg.f7a73d51ddbc972aba69f207e0d24391.jpg

Happy to see the Brothers in Arms Memorial has finally been finished

20210615_094953.jpg.99db2187e53283c6f39fcf8b59d68840.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Where is this? 

IMG_0709.JPG

I was just about to post one of mine with some arch questions but this one is really interesting. The low wall on the left suggests something running alongside the cemetery and it looks flat enough for the Lys valley. In other words I haven't a clue.

Pete.

• Admin

Post yours as well Pete. 

I’ve looked through all of my pictures and the best I can come up with makes me think it is Desplanque Farm Cemetery, near the village of La Chapelle-d'Armentieres, you have to go up a constantly wet farm track, even in summer, to get to it IIRC.

John

• Admin

You are indeed correct John.  I took that photo in April 2011, the weather was glorious each day (except on the day I took this one)  but we had thunder and torrential rain each night. 

https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/cemetery-details/63400/DESPLANQUE FARM CEMETERY, LA CHAPELLE-D'ARMENTIERES/

Hi Michelle

I glad I spotted that one, been there a couple of time,  October 2010, it was raining very hard, and August 2013, it was very hot with local thunderstorms, but I remember being told by someone (CWGC?) that the cemetery was regularly flooded.

Good spot John and interesting cemetery; I was in the right ball park but mistook the lorry on the A26 as a building. Easily done. Like Michelle I have a abiding interest in the forgotten front but I've never really visited the section between Desplanque Farm and Ploegsteert, I have tended to focus on the area to the south. Another walk to be undertaken 'when all of this is over'.

Pete.

P.S. I will make another cup of industrial strength coffee (dark roast Sumatran) to propel me towards something close to full consciousness and post a photo.

I can't claim to have achieved full consciousness all day but I would invite chums to consider the attached photo, and answer the following fiendish conundrum:

1. Roughly how high above mean sea level am I?

2. What geological phenomenon links what is behind me to two of the names given to the location, both of which are a source of confusion? Extra points will be awarded for working out (I've always wanted to say that).

Pete.

IMG_1796.JPG.014703ee5f552d5892a581c8f3bcb430.JPG

• Admin

I think you could be 62 metres above sea level. Other than that, I have no idea.....

3 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

I think you could be 62 metres above sea level. Other than that, I have no idea.....

Correct, and from it you have the modern name for the location. However I can't think of a more confusing place for having multiple names on the Western Front, even the height above sea level is questionable. Two of the names together with what is physically behind me give you a type of rock.

Pete.

On 25/06/2021 at 20:15, Fattyowls said:

2. What geological phenomenon links what is behind me to two of the names given to the location, both of which are a source of confusion? Extra points will be awarded for working out (I've always wanted to say that).

Pete.

Hi Pete, interesting questions, and Michelle's already nailed the location as Hill 62. Hill 62 was more commonly named Mount Sorrel, and was linked to Hill 61 (aka Torr Top) by Observatory Ridge, but I'm not sure whether that constitutes a geological phenomenon!

Richard

You are very warm Richard. Think of what now sits on what is now known as Hill 62, behind me as I took the photo, consider the original Mountsorrel's major export and  drop the second 'r' from the first word of the third name.

Pete.

Hi Pete (@Fattyowls) - Aha - thanks for the additional clues! We must be talking about granite . . . the Canadian memorial is made of it, so I guess Mount Sorrel was a granite mine - and Dartmoor's Tors are granite.

Richard

Special pic... taken by my friend Onno ... 

IMGP3086.JPG.d7dc21cd997721d3b0ee55a1981d0681.JPG

Me in tour guiding mode...; the tour went very well... the 135th Division had the honor of being the only group to lay a wreath on the 17th June, and our spokesman said the exhortation... very honored indeed... 

and the stops I arranged for the guys were very much appreciated... 

Guess where the pic was taken?? EEEEAAAASYYYY..... 

M.

12 hours ago, Old Forge said:

Hi Pete (@Fattyowls) - Aha - thanks for the additional clues! We must be talking about granite . . . the Canadian memorial is made of it, so I guess Mount Sorrel was a granite mine - and Dartmoor's Tors are granite.

Richard

Spot on Richard. The memorial is a notably whitish granite from Quebec, granite tors are the characteristic of the moors of Devon and Cornwall and Mountsorrel was the nearest source of hard roadstone to London (or at least it was 40 years ago when I was doing geology just down the road in Leicester). Strictly speaking Tor Top was Torr Top and was named after a street in a village east of Manchester if memory serves. When I was checking this and the other names before posting I found that there is very little agreement on which humps are which, other than to say that Mountsorrel is one of the ones in the distance and not the vantage point as the memorial suggests. Just to confuse things further the Germans refer to a hill with two crests 60 m above sea level. My personal favourite is based on Aurel Sercu's explanation from a few years back on the forum. It is part of Aurel's manor after all. I'd very much like to walk the whole area to get a feel for it one day soon, perhaps fortified by some fresh waffles.

Pete.

P.S. So now we have where is Sly's concrete bunker and which bit of the salient is Marilyne explaining.

16 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

P.S. So now we have where is Sly's concrete bunker and which bit of the salient is Marilyne explaining.

Glad to get (mostly) there in the end Pete, thanks for the guidance and for your final explanation - I hadn't realised it was so complicated!

Too late to tackle the two new puzzlers, will look tomorrow!

Cheers,

Richard

On 28/06/2021 at 06:07, Sly said:

Hi to all,

Where is it ? 

Hi to you too Sly, hope all is well in Picardie. My first reaction on seeing your photograph was Col. Driant's command post in the Bois de Caures at Verdun but I don't think it is. The trees and what looks like a sharp slope beyond remind me of the Argonne forest. I seem to remember a bunker named after Kronprinz Willhelm (Abri de Kronprinz or something like that) near Varennes so I'm going to guess it is that one.

Pete.

On 28/06/2021 at 18:12, Marilyne said:

Guess where the pic was taken?? EEEEAAAASYYYY

I wondered about the Crest Farm Canadian memorial but I don't think it's right. There is something familiar about that long wall.........

Glad the tour went well (but I knew that it would), it's just very rare to see you without bear. And with a ponytail.

Pete.

Hi to you too Sly, hope all is well in Picardie. My first reaction on seeing your photograph was Col. Driant's command post in the Bois de Caures at Verdun but I don't think it is. The trees and what looks like a sharp slope beyond remind me of the Argonne forest. I seem to remember a bunker named after Kronprinz Willhelm (Abri de Kronprinz or something like that) near Varennes so I'm going to guess it is that one.

Hi Pete,

I am  impressed, well spotted. They are known as the "Abri du Kronprinz", well built and design. Interesting spot to visit, as the whole area of the "Haute Chevauchée" forest is.

403733111_Capturedecran2021-06-30a08_26_42.png.4ae2f03e2121f99ca84b8e0554bbe41c.png